ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripping! ;-)

CTR EK9 turbo

Stripping out our cars from uneccesary bulk is the best/cheapest mod available.

Im wondering and ive heard from people that it is classed as lightening? I was also disgusted to have been told you have to inform your insurance if you are going to do this to your car?

Just thought id warn yall in case you didnt realise? or is it not the case? - i wanted to get the low-down on whether its an insurance wild card.

Do we have any insurance workers that may be able to advise here?

cheers, Si

why do u worry about tellin insurance anyway, theres no point unless ur likely to crash and make a claim.

Quote: Originally posted by JSX on 07 May 2003

why do u worry about tellin insurance anyway, theres no point unless ur likely to crash and make a claim.
unless your likely to crash!? i go out every day looking for a crash!

non of us know if we are likely to crash, otherwise they wouldnt be called accidents! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 07 May 2003

unless your likely to crash!? i go out every day looking for a crash!

Beaten!!!!!! lol

maybe ur all crap drivers lol;) but seriously it will push ur premium up so much when u mod a car when your young so i rekkon theres no point in declaring the stuff u do, especially engine transplants/mods.

320d M Sport

Hmmmmm, I work in Insurance claims and to be honest i cant see how an Insurer could refuse to indemnify you. Of course youre supposed to tell them of any mods to the car, but this is kinda backward modifying ie-youre not exactly altering the car from standard by replacing wheels, shocks etc.

Lets say u stripped the back out and crashed, you could just say u took out the seats + carpet to clean them. How would they know? What difference would it make to the risk on cover? None! It still looks the same, doesnt alter its value.

Id say if youre thinking about doing just go ahead. If youre still worried call the Insurance Ombudsman Helpline (now part of the Financial Services Authority).

Paddy

Yeah, I would go with the "cleaning" or "restoring" whatever you took out. They really cant do much about it.

So long as you dont start taking off doors/panelwork/roof etc, you should be ok :p

Clio v6

Dont forget to remove that stopper under the accelerator pedal, bound to weigh about 10kg.

I hear they are offering it as a £250 option for the new cup.

silver valver/hybrid

my bro had an accident in his fiesta zetec and he had air filter, alloy wheels, black rear clusters, and he hadnt told the insurance company (direct line) and they still paid out, they just said to swap the aftermarket stuff with the standard stuff as they wouldnt cover the cost of the mods.

320d M Sport

thats totally different than taking seats out though!

Theres no way an insurer could repudiate a claim due to the fact your seats ae in your shed or whatever! Get real dude.

The seats in most cars are designed to come out to create a bigger load area. The Williams one even have easy removal clips on them. Cant see why it would invalidate insurance.

CTR EK9 turbo

God knows. I was just something id heard from a friend of a friend etc. Just wanted to clarify and make sure no one gets in uneccesary trouble!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 10 May 2003

The seats in most cars are designed to come out to create a bigger load area. The Williams one even have easy removal clips on them. Cant see why it would invalidate insurance.
I agree with this...

When Ive used my cars to transport loads of stuff about before then Ive sometimes taken the seats out to get more stuff in. Hell, some car seats are really quick release and meant to be removed.

No way this would be an issue with insurance if you had an accident.