ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strut Brace for 11 yr old Clio 1.2?

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
I arguably have the crappest Clio here (8v, L reg, 1.2 "Campus"), but since Im a poor ass postgrad I cant afford a better one :/ However, I was chatting to a mate who has a Suzuki Cupperchino (or however you spell it) and he just fitted an internal strut brace between the front springs and says it has made a world of difference to the handling, minimising roll.

My tyres are the width of iceskates and the car is no where near as powerful as his coupe, but I love driving country lanes and A roads, throwing it about a bit, but am really gagging for something to stop the excessive roll which I suffer on every damn bend and every round about. I realise a brace will just push the rear out more, but as long as it keeps the front down where the power is I'll be happy.

So, being a complete newbie (and I bet you're fed up with people who start posts like this, but Ive checked the stickies and cant find what Im after), I was wondering if fitting one was possible to an old clio? Would it make a similar difference? and where should I start looking for one?

Thanks all.

Rb 182
You can get em from demon tweeks, halfords and a few other places, Mk1's are about 40-50 bucks. Try and get your hand on a set of lowering springs and drop it (new lowered shocks would help but not everyone has mega ££)

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
Mint! Cheers peeps :D (ta for linkage, Rob) So Im running an "MK1" then, fair enough. At least I know now what to look for ;) Awesomely fast replies too :D

S13
1.2 power! You say thanks for the quick replies, like we have anything else to do on a friday night ;)

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
dude itll work wonders. Got one on my mk1 1.2 and keeps the car flat through corners. When you take it off after having it on, thats when you realise how good it is!

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
ajketley said:
dude itll work wonders. Got one on my mk1 1.2 and keeps the car flat through corners. When you take it off after having it on, thats when you realise how good it is!
They're only 40quid INCLUDING postage from that site. First site Ive ever been on that includes postage and VAT in the listed price.
Im tempted by a rear brace as well, but am eyeing up some new wheels first cause I enjoy being on the road, rather than in a hedge. (Need to get paid first! Roll on 28th..)

It's not only a 1.2, it's a 4 speed jobbie as well! Basically translated means "automatic" from 25-90mph. :rasp: Cheap as anything to run though.

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
Carb model? God knows. I do know they're 13"ers though, and Ive no idea how to adjust the spedo for larger tyres.

To help you graduate my level of noobness: Im attempting my first oil change tomorrow.

Thanks for the links /adds to bookmarks

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
lol, you need a new sump washer! Some people forget - I dont think you want loads of oil leaking out! If you put 15s with 195/45/15 tyres on you wont need to touch the speedo. Well its either carb or injection!

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
Ah yea, now Im with you: defo carb model! It's not injection, more of a "willing the fuel into the engine rather than forcing".

Sump washer: f**k! I always forget something.

Thanks for the tip about the wheels. I take it that's 15s with low profiles, which means the overall wheel size is the same?

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
yeh pretty much. You can get the sump washer from a renault dealer for about 30p. Youll see the old one fall out just remember to put the new one on!

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
It basically stiffens the car. Instead of the chassis flexing in corners and over bumps it reinforces it by bracing between the two suspension struts. It also makes the suspension work more effectively (supposibly), and reduces body roll into corners when you turn in hard. But without a rear strut (doing the same thing but at the back) the rear can kick out easier, although I dont know how much with a front wheel drive car.

Bindibadgi said:
It basically stiffens the car. Instead of the chassis flexing in corners and over bumps it reinforces it by bracing between the two suspension struts. It also makes the suspension work more effectively (supposibly), and reduces body roll into corners when you turn in hard. But without a rear strut (doing the same thing but at the back) the rear can kick out easier, although I dont know how much with a front wheel drive car.
Rear strut braces do nothing on Clo due to the suspension setup.
personally I wouldn't bother with a strt brace unless you've upgraded the rest of the suspension and replaced the busshes or new ones with a car of this age.

172.com said:
Cheers for that. So if it does improve handling etc. why do they not fit it as standard?
Becuas its to stiff for the market demands. Otherwise they'd sell it with a full roll cage and 500lb spring undrivable on anything but a race track but stiff as anything.

Don't forget at 11 years old the cars dampers and springs will be worn out along with all the rubber bushes to a high degree so its gone soft anyway.

edde said:
Becuas its to stiff for the market demands. Otherwise they'd sell it with a full roll cage and 500lb spring undrivable on anything but a race track but stiff as anything.

But surely on an RS...

172.com said:
But surely on an RS...
The Rs wasn't designed for race tracks otherwise it would have been made a lot stiffer with differetn suspension its a fast road car to some degree with all the bits people expect in a posh car ie leather climate etc.

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
edde said:

Don't forget at 11 years old the cars dampers and springs will be worn out along with all the rubber bushes to a high degree so its gone soft anyway.
Fair point. Time to cost it up then. edit: might just not bother at all and live with it. For what it's worth on a £500 car to add another £300s worth of stuff probably wont help that much. It's only getting palmed off onto my brother next year when he's 17 anyway. A strut on it's own is 40 quid, which isnt too much into the %age of overall cost but if you do something you do it properly and it's just not worth it I think.

Last edited:
  Rb 182
Just do it. You can always make more money thats what i say. I got mines for £800 and ploughed over £4000 into it, dont look much diffrent but makes me smile everytime. :)

100_1448.gif

100_1219.gif

100_1099.jpg

;)

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
Did you swap the rear drums for disks or did it actually have ABS when you bought it? Ive been a little put off considering I'd have to actually drill holes in the suspension bulkheads to fit the strut, rather than it already having holes and bolts which the suspension is mounted into. What did you drop it by? 35/55mm?

Rb 182
I bought a Rsi rear beam and converted it to discs, it has 16v front brakes too. Its on Fk konig sports so they are height ajustable so its about 65mm :)

RenaultSport clio
I got a 1.4 RT mark 1, though I've got a screwed engine and gearbox in the front, and a 1997 engine and 'box in the boot waiting to be fitted.

My advice would be that if you don't want to spend much, fit new -30/35mm front springs as you probably will get away with not needing new dampers then, and drop the torsion bar at the rear (there's a guide on lowering the rear here: http://www.zedsplace.co.uk/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.9)

Easy to do the rear, though it might help if you've got a mate with a bit of mechanical knowledge/ ability.

Be careful driving though, I rolled my first mk1 1.8 RT on standard suspension set-up, barrelled into a downhill corner and it tightened up. Was young, foolish and inexperienced then though.

Djw dave, how easy was fitting a Rsi beam and converting it to discs at the rear? Fancy doing it and know where to get the beam fairly cheap too. Has it improved the handling at all either?