ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sub 5k car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
been looking for a car recently around sub 5k mark.
main one was 172 no cups tho.few to many higher mileage ones tho
and a would want 03 onwards couple of 182's aswell av seen not sure tho.
the insurance doesnt seem to be to bad i have 4years ncb and im 22.
from what ive seen petrol isnt the worst either.

106 gti is a really big one and a would pay good money for one in white.
seen rich has just purchased one.always thought they were great to drive.
any help guys cheers gal:)

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
106 GTI like you say. and if you can get an un-Chaved up saxo VTS would be cool.

saxo not got the best image as nearly all are chaved up VTR's but most of there owners have Fiesta ST's now so i think the chavy-ness is going.

in standard form i think VTS's look beter than the 106

imo

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
no dnt think a saxo is for me.thanks tho.
have been looking at new style zetec-s but not really wana pay that much for one just now keep test driving them tho!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
yeh have really thought bout those but the facelift model.
i work in a garage so when you work on some cars it puts you off slightly
like the mg but for that kinda pace and money its hard grumbling.
build quality is terrible as everyone knows!
you know much bout 172 ect... a know a lot are under 5k?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
as long as its had its services and cambelt done at 5years / 72 K miles. the engine is solid. everything else is about normal french standard.

best smiles per pound though imo

i had a 172FF for 4 years (sold in march) with 80k on the clock. nothing went wrong with it except the a/c. it did rattle and squeak a bit. but it was 5 yeras old and at 80k

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
i have a 52 plate clio at the mo lol so at least am not letting myself in for a scare with creaks and rattles!
obv on here a 172 is going to be a fave and a cnt get my head around price-performance. its crazy! but i have noticed a few of them are getting sold before the belts get done 60k and stuff so dnt really want to be getting involved in that.
would really like to buy one from here most have been well looked after.
do you know what diff there is from 02-03 apart from the door lock on the drivers door ect...
thanks again

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
also i have auto xenons and rain sens wipers ect... just now so am thinking 172 same refinements. lol 106 is such a tease tho!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
306 rallye would be in my list. you can get some really good metal for 5k. depends what you want though. things like aircon and leather seats........

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
cheers for that john.
a think because the clio has all that stuff and a think its is better built nicer cabin ect... than 106,306 drove a few gti-6 and they do impress just not for me.106 gti does put some smile on my face and i havent had even a test drive of a 172 yet!
am answering my own question here!
HELP!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
just out of intrest why not a cup? have driven both variants of 172 and a 182 with cup packs and i just took to the cup better. i said i wouldnt have one now theres nothing i like more lol if i had to sell to free up spme money it would become a 106 rallye

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I would have to have a 172 again just for the smiles and its better than any thats been listed so far

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
thanks again guys.
the cup am not sure about because no xenons or air con, not digging the seats.also got a bambino so like it to be as comfortable as poss!lol
just cant seem to get by a 172! the mrs doesnt see the point because we have a "clio" she says!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
fair enough dude. what does she know lol. going to be a nightmare decision if the mrs puts her ore in lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
lol a know mate her words are you deal with the car side of things and all spend your money on me baby and the house! hmmm fair!
so if a want one goin to have to put my size 10 (really an 8) down!
wondering if you could tell me if there is much variant in 02-03 except removing the driver door lock?
cheers gal/

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
not that i know of! will have a butchers at the buyers guide mate. cant find any differences....... know the very last172s have cruise control etc etc. if you want all the gadgets go for a later one by the looks of it

Last edited:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
An ST170 would be a good compramise if you couldnt find a clio.

Ultimately not as fast but the chassis is to die for and theres also more space

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
av been drooling over st's and even zetec-s new shape
but price is just not right just now my bro works for ford and gets a great discount but think they are just a bit above budget.
when you look at under 5k for a 172 a just cnt justify paying over that
would love a 182 with cup packs but like a said your back up into the wrong side of 7k at least!
was looking at the 172 for 1-2 years then rb or ly clio next?
see what prices look like.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
£5k will easily get you a really, really tidy 172 - and in real life the 182 is no quicker anyway. Do it, you know it makes sense ;)

Dan

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
lol am being fussy but one with turinis would be ideal
colours not a big deal starting to come round to silver!
so many for sale.i have a black clio at the mo so no mo black!

av worked out insurance and petrol wise seems okay but upkeep am
not sure about and kinda worried bout buying one thats due belts ect...?