ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub + amp install

hey,

im thinking of buying a alpine subwoofer and amp for my clio but i want to now how easy this would be to install......i think id be fine with the sub as ill buy a pre made box but im worried about installing the amp.

can anyone give me a short step by step guide of how you would install an amp in the clio (including how to connect ot power supply, how to feed wires, how to fix amp down to the boot)

another question, i know rms is the vital thing when choosing an amp and sub but does it matter if your amp matches the subs rms but is lower than the subs max power output?

also what do you think to this for 149.99?:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/images/b_sbr1021sb.jpg

does a volume of 27 litres sound about right for a 10 inch sub like this?

also if im after some nice clean crisp bass that is not necessarily window shatering than is a sealed box the way to go?

[Edited by mhova on 26 November 2004 at 10:07pm]

[Edited by mhova on 26 November 2004 at 10:09pm]

alpine speakers/subs are nowhere near as good as the older v12 amps and their head units in terms of quality

for a £150 budget try

JL Audio 10w3v2
Diamond Audio M3
Rockford Fosgate P3 (surprisingly good for RFs latest range)
Phoenix Gold ZR; or
Precision Power PC10

all the above are very good subs for the money

without reading the exact product tech sheet i couldnt tell you if 27l is correct or not, as it has to take into account ported/sealed/bandpass style enclosure etc.....

when choosing an amp for the sub, try to find one that will run the sub comfortably at 90% or its total RMS, that way you will not be overloading the amp, nor feeding the sub a clipped signal

as for guides, best to use the search feature on the forum, this has been covered many times before

hope the above helps in some way

thanks for the advice.

also, if the amp talks about using a chocie of 2 ohms and 4 ohms, is this ia cohice or does it depend on the sub u are using and other factors?

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

yeah, it depends on the sub...

problem is, when u bridge most 2 channel amps, it limits you to a 4ohm output. Meaning a 4ohm sub is usually best.

bambam1, your 90% rule isnt the best idea. When creating a good setup, ideally you want an amp that can handle more power than the sub requires, and adjust the gain to suit. The reason being, that an amp is usually most efficient at half gain, or less - obviously depending on the amp itself. Obviously this isnt within many peoples budget, and unless youre a serious SQ man, its probably easier just to overlook it. Just saying :)

Quote: Originally posted by Friction on 27 November 2004

bambam1, your 90% rule isnt the best idea. When creating a good setup, ideally you want an amp that can handle more power than the sub requires, and adjust the gain to suit. The reason being, that an amp is usually most efficient at half gain, or less - obviously depending on the amp itself. Obviously this isnt within many peoples budget, and unless youre a serious SQ man, its probably easier just to overlook it. Just saying :)
im heavily into SQ, but i know that most people cannot budget for a high powered amp to run efficiently, therefore i give a 90% rule of thumb

thanks for the help.....and yes im on a budget i have no money at all and this seems the most efficient way to upgrade my sound after sspending quite a bit of money on my head unit.

seriosuly how hard would it all be to install? i did a search and found one thread talking about the bonnet release hole...nothing else.

would thi sub and amp work together ok or should i spend more on the amp? is a mono amp the right move if its just the sub i want to power?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=27http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=27

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2755&tab=2&osCsid=878fc918aa51750a5a7b369328aee0f539&tab=2&osCsid=878fc918aa51750a5a7b369328aee0f5