ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subaru to a 182

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Has anyone gone fron a Scoobie to a 182 cup. I'm thinking of buying a 182 as i've just sold me Scoobie, was you dissapointed?. If so why?
The Subaru was quick do you get the same buzz out of 182.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had a 172, then a Scooby, then an Evo. In the end i went back to a 172. So much better to live with day to day.

172 Cup
Woops sorry, just spotted it my bad, I wouldnt say it would be too bad, if you were talking STi it may be a bigger step. Although they are different types of car.

clio 172 cup
Has anyone gone fron a Scoobie to a 182 cup. I'm thinking of buying a 182 as i've just sold me Scoobie, was you dissapointed?. If so why?
The Subaru was quick do you get the same buzz out of 182.

I had a top spec impreza P1, adjustable whiteline anti roll bars, Group N GEMS Ecu, Anti Lag, AP Racing brakes +++, looked standard. The business.

I enjoy the clio, and I bet through a twisty country lane there isn't that much in it. Half a straight though and the Impreza would be gone.

The running costs by comparison are laughable. It costs peanuts to run these, and they're almost as much fun for fraction of the cost.

Miss the noise though, even just tootling along. Miss the torque and turbo shove in the back. Oh, and lighting up the countryside behind me orange at night!

You have to rev the little clios but they love it. 5-7k is the zone. Where the scooby was more or less all done by 5.5k.

They are a lot of fun and handle really well (mines on eibachs). I think once you settle into it you should enjoy. But revving it may take some getting used to again..

Daz

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i dont think you will be disappointed overall, just wont have the same punch in gear as the scooby.

however, good fun for what it is

I've never driven a scooby but I had a Standard Evo VI back in 2003 which was awesome.

I drove a clio (172 cup) for the first time yesterday and was pretty impressed with it. It is an excellent car in it's own right, if you bare this in mind you won't be dissapointed, if you compare it to the imprezza I think you will.

The missus used to have an integra type R (DC5) which was very capable and the differences between that an the 172 cup were not that noticable on the road.

Running costs compared to the Evo??? £1900 service, £600 on tyres, 20mpg (without booting it) £1400 insurance - nuff said.

Street Triple R
Ive gone from an Evo and an Impreza to the clio and im not dissapointed at all, The clio is arguable more fun than both (definately better than the impreza actually) and easier to live with

Ad

MK2 FRS
Ive had an RB5 with PPP. Had clios before that though, no issues in returning, equally as fun!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I had a version 5 STi Type-R.

In some ways I regret buying it. Those aolong with the RA's are far too tail happy, not what 4WD is about to me.

Also if you didn't have to have your engine rebuilt (usually STi's only), thank youreslf lucky.

I'm sure the usual models without such unpleasant characteristics as the above are much better in terms of sheer enjoyable driving.

Doubt modified suspension on our Clio's will be able to keep up with normal modified Impreza's.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'd rather any RS clio over a scoob! Hate them!

Sure they're faster, but the sound is rank and the people that drive them are equally so.

RenaultSport 172

Sure they're faster, but the sound is rank and the people that drive them are equally so.

Thats a generalisation if I ever saw one. Theres enough Imprezas out there, only a small percentage are owned by t***s.

I went from a 280bhp WRX to my 172 and I much prefer the 172. Its so much cheaper to run and apart from straightline speed it performs really well. The scoob was fun, no doubting that, but for the difference in running costs theres not much difference in fun. Definitely glad I made the switch. Loving the 172.

Steve

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
I find it quite sad that people can hold any sort of hatred for a lump of metal, lol.

I've only ever owned a P1 and my current car, both miles ahead of any RS I've driven. Not saying the 172 and Cup I owned were bad, far from it, the Cup was sublime, I'm 100% sure I'd prefer it over a normal WRX, UK Turbo.

Clio 172 mk2
I went from an Impreza to a 172 and found the Clio much easier to live with and the MPG a delight considering it's performance.

172 /megane cab
what daniel said had a 172 cup got a 330 then the scooby got another 172 now love it dont miss the scooby too much at all

Twin Scroll Impreza STI
Apart from my first car being front wheel drive I have always had 4wd with a turbo. In recent months I have been getting sick of spending money on moding and running costs. In total that's 10 years of high performance cars all running over 300bhp. Had my wife not wanted to drive I may still have had the Evo on my drive but the insurance costs involved were obscene for her.

Its been just over a week now since I sold my Evo 6 running 380bhp and replaced with a 182 Trophy. I love the running costs and its performance is very impressive. Its handling is something else altogether.

Cruise control.. i love that!! i'm a lazy bast*rd.. lol
Seats.. just like those in the Evo 6 but more comfortable, Prob cause they are only 2 years old rather than 8.

I'm yet to play with the fancy suspension it comes with as standard.. been hearing good things about making them stiffer.

In summary... I love it and havent looked back. Wife thinks its ok to.. lol

clio 200 F4Rt
I went 182 Cup to JDM 03 Spec-C Impreza, back to a 172.

The Spec-C was mental quick, but being such a hardcore model was quite tiring to drive for long periods, as you had to be on the ball all the time.

The main reason i got shot ws the mental runnign costs. 17mpg at best was hte major killer. And about half that when on it!

So i sold up and came back to the Clio's. Mainly cos i knew how good they are, cheap to run, and personally i am a hot hatch man!

Whilst they dont provide the same straight line speed, they are excellent through the twisties.

And £££ per grin, i dont think anything better it!

Interesting thread this; I'm toying with the idea of getting an Evo/Scoob in a few years. Pretty much backs up what I thought though: bang for buck they are'nt going to be better than a Clio. Can see ownership only being for a year or so because of that perhaps (much shorter than I intend to keep my Cup). A proper 4WD nutter mobile has gotta be done at some point though!

ETA - There is a flipside on the value for money front to be fair. You do get proper all weather, virtually unbeatable point-to-point performance for relatively little money. This is the attraction for me.

Last edited:
  clio 200 F4Rt
Interesting thread this; I'm toying with the idea of getting an Evo/Scoob in a few years. Pretty much backs up what I thought though: bang for buck they are'nt going to be better than a Clio. Can see ownership only being for a year or so because of that perhaps (much shorter than I intend to keep my Cup). A proper 4WD nutter mobile has gotta be done at some point though!

ETA - There is a flipside on the value for money front to be fair. You do get proper all weather, virtually unbeatable point-to-point performance for relatively little money. This is the attraction for me.

defo. i am glad i did it. as i now know that a) i am not prepared to spend that kinda money on motoring and b) they are not all what they are cracked up to be!

tho i do think maybe the sensation of 4wd turbo jap barge is dulled down slightly when coming from such a good handling car like the 172/182.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

lol! never beat around the bush do ya! ha ha

lol, truth hurts eh tina!

Just look at Abd!! See if those c***s keep me awake with there pischy 4pot boxer engine. i'm gonna go Basra on their asses with a paintball gun!