ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subframe seam weld?

Clio 172
Removed the subframe, to solve an oil leak I had on my car, and with the subframe being 10 years old taking the chance to tidy it up and am wondering, due to the steel being very thin is there any benefit in seam welding the subframe or will it just burn through and distort?

Regards

Cup In bits
If your that way inclined then just weld the wishbone pic ups to the frame and put a big repair washer around the front two mounting holes. They have been known to split there with slicks.

Clio 172
Yes the subframe is thin compared to my previous fiesta ST and current leon cupra. The galv is off the subframe using a wire wheel on a grinder so that isnt a problem.

So buy that you mean gusset the wishbone tabs to the subframe rails? well I run DZ03G on the clio so will also but a large washer on.

Cup In bits
Just tack weld the wishbone the tabs that are already there, taking penny washers to where the bolts go through for the wishbones ain't a bad idea either as I have seen a couple ovaled holes now but you will have to watch for bolt length.

Clio 172
I bought new bolts this morning for the bottom arms/ subframe etc and they are slightly longer so that should be fine. Also have some 1" washers for where the subframe bolts to the chassis.