ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suggestions on buying hi-miled 172/182

Focus ST
Hi!
I'm new to cliosport. Your community feels great. Hope to join you with my own clio.
Now I'm looking for 172/182 in Moscow. It's very hard to find any of these ones in Russia with low mileage and many of these great cars, as I heard, often are not serviced well here. So I've find an example with about 125k miles. Mostly my worries are about the engine. Could anyone suggest what to looking at when choosing, for example, if there is no service history? Is it a good idea to check compression in cylinders? Or is it okay if it eats some oil (1 liter on 500 miles)? Thank you for you answers and suggestions!

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi!
I'm new to cliosport. Your community feels great. Hope to join you with my own clio.
Now I'm looking for 172/182 in Moscow. It's very hard to find any of these ones in Russia with low mileage and many of these great cars, as I heard, often are not serviced well here. So I've find an example with about 125k miles. Mostly my worries are about the engine. Could anyone suggest what to looking at when choosing, for example, if there is no service history? Is it a good idea to check compression in cylinders? Or is it okay if it eats some oil (1 liter on 500 miles)? Thank you for you answers and suggestions!

No...no it should not "eat" that much oil in that short a distance. From just that I'd walk away.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
High miles on the F4R shouldn't be a issue if serviced properly. My 172 is now on 152k and the engine is still very strong, and doesn't drink a drop of oil between oil changes.

330i. E30 Touring.
Some of them do use oil, but not in high quantities.

In my experience, the ones that do breathe a bit of oil are usually the quicker ones too.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Dont think any of my previous and current clio are an 'oil' user. Even on trackdays minmal if any used.

Focus ST
Thanks a lot for your answers, guys!
@Filters Thanks! An item with oil eating I've watching at is already sold.
These ones I've found in Russia so far:
http://www.bibika.ru/catalog/_renault/_clio/4340353#
https://www.avito.ru/moskva/avtomobili/renault_clio_rs_2002_631580829
The first one (silver) looks very nice, despite left front wing area. It's in St-Petersburg, so I'll probably go there. About 105k miles for the body, but an engine was changed and should be fresher.
The second one also looks ok. About 100k miles. But I'm a little bit scarry about its wheels.
Many things are mentioned in 172-182 buyers guide and EVO 182 buyers gude. Are there anything else to check for hi-milers?

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Would you not be better off possibly buying from a different country?
Obviously I'm not sure of the laws in mother Russia...but I'm sure you could privately import a nicer example?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
My current Clio 182 is on 124k and running sweet as a nut, in fact much better than one I had before which was on 45k! Mileage is nothing :)