ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suitable Metal Grade for Seat Bolts.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Mr Ben P has recommended 12.9 grade 50mm M8 Cap bolts to bolt my soon to be delivered Cobra subframes into the car.

Been looking on Fleabay and there are lots of M8 Cap bolts but no real sign of 12.9 grade...what i am finding is A2 - Grade 304.
Is this anywhere near to the same grade?

Any help would be great!

Cheers!

ph quick
12.9 is the hardness of the bolt thats all, go to your local bolts and fastenings shop and they'll hadve everything you'll need

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
It's amazing how unwilling people are to go to the local shops nowadays ;)

Untrue! Im more keen to go to a store and buy the number of bolts and nuts i need instead of having to bulk buy a box of 60!

Only problem is im not really sure where the hell my local "nuts and bolts" store is...:eek:
Can you really pick these up from B&Q??!

Lionel Richie
trident racing supplies silverstone

12.9 isn't the "hardness" of the bolt at all, its the tensile strength i believe! (use the OE nuts though)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I was thinking i might just collar the Wurth rep at work on Monday, but thanks for the tip Fred.

So use the original nuts? Would some M8 nylock jobbies do the job if im buying new bolts?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
oillie

il send you a kit mate, i have guy who makes all my bolts, ive got your address from the mounts.

when you need them?

Lionel Richie
no, the original nuts are designed for purpose, normal nuts and washers would do feck all in a crash

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
automotive recomended min is 10.9 for saftey fixings. for the extra £2 its worth it to get 12.9

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
mine are 10.9 iirc cap bolts, only m6 though as thats the size the holes are drilled to on the subframe from omp, didnt really want to start drilling bigger holes but now not sure if i should have?

on another note the mk1's original fixings are only m6, so must be ok?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yea IMO m6 is way too small. but im just a softy.

if it were me.... i would drill out to m8,

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
ive searched and searched for these and im hoping cobra are going to send me the correct thing free! and i seem to find that bloody fasterners/eng supplies companys only open monday - friday :(