ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Super Lightweight Lithium Battery - My experience of it so far

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Everyone,

I know a few others on the forum have this battery, but I thought I'd share my experience as I've been really pleased with it.

I'd been wanting a lithium battery, mostly because I don't use my Clio year-round. The car is stored in an unheated garage over the winter, so I take out the battery and store it indoors. However, a lead acid battery is such a pain because the battery area is tight with a K-tec induction kit fitted, so it's not much fun removing it.

The lithium battery that I bought is tiny, so there's loads of room around the air filter, which makes it a breeze to remove but also, slightly better breathing for the engine. The weight is tiny too. It's just over 1kg (maybe 1.4kg if I remember correctly) so not only does it make it way more comfortable to remove, it's also about a 10kg weight saving compared to having a lead acid battery fitted!

I bought it from PowerLite. They're based in the West Midlands.

https://www.powerlite-units.com/power/ps-09.html

I also went for the set of standard battery terminals to make for a hassle free installation:

https://www.powerlite-units.com/accessories/ps-cu0930.html

Yesterday, I decided that I was going to re-fit my battery as I want to move the car. I went to check the voltage using the built in voltage indicator. I pressed the button, the screen flickered for a fraction of a moment, then nothing. I tested with a multimeter and had nothing. I tried charging it with the supplied charger for the first time - the light on the charger was faintly flickering red, which didn't look good. Left it for a few hours, still no voltage at all.

I was pretty disappointed! I phoned PowerLite yesterday and spoke to Julian. He was incredibly helpful and was very reassuring. After a good chat on the phone, he concluded that the battery had gone into a dormant mode, which can happen if the battery is doing nothing for several months. To get it out of that mode, it just needs to be put on the charger for about 10 minutes or so. However, he thought that my charger was faulty. I was a little sceptical, but he posted a new charger via DHL yesterday, it arrived with me by 10am today and sure enough, after a few minutes on the charger it was back in operation. I've fitted it to the car and it's all good!

I phoned Julian again today to let him know and thank him for dealing with the situation so well (I had no doubt that he would have replaced the battery if it had turned out to be faulty).

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the battery and the service that I received from PowerLite has made me feel even happier with the purchase.

Here's a few pictures of my setup:

File_000(1).jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_004.jpeg

(The fuse box cover has since been replaced, but yes, I know I need to clean my engine bay)

Ed

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Great batteries, had mine a year now and its sat unused in the engine bay, car stored outside in freezing temps for six months over winter and dropped from 13.8 to 13.5 volts the whole time.... car fired straight up. I've never even taken the charger out the box lol

Clio 182
I have an anti gravity ATX-12, this has a fancy re-start option should the battery ever go flat(£250)and an JMT YTX -14(£85) this has a simple 3 light indicator showing charge and have had no issues with either. They hold charge no problem if isolated from the car and have held full 14v while in my cupboard for winter storage. Both weigh less than 1kg. The JMT one is the one to go for in my eyes.

They give ample starting power for a 2 litre engine but wouldn’t rely on them if I was fault finding or if I had electrical issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have exactly the same battery, battery cut off and terminals, so far so good, it’s currently sat in the house on a NOCO Genius G1100UK charger, I haven’t used the one it came with though.

I do however need a proper way to mount it in the car, I’m currently using a battery strap but it’s not ideal.

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I’ll be trying to actually use my 182 this year, so it’ll be closer to a daily than it’s been over the past few years.

I expect that it’ll be fine - but I’ll post an update in a few months either way.

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Where can we get battery trays to fit smaller batteries that work with the existing mountings?
I made my own out of some sheet and angle aluminum, which fits into the existing battery mount, with the original battery bolt. I've not shown the strap that goes over the top of my battery.

I spent a few hours making it to get it to fit properly.

clio 172 ph2
Great batteries, had mine a year now and its sat unused in the engine bay, car stored outside in freezing temps for six months over winter and dropped from 13.8 to 13.5 volts the whole time.... car fired straight up. I've never even taken the charger out the box lol
With or without disconnecting the battery? I assume disconnected?

Clio 182

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I've accidentally left my PS30 off charge for a couple of weeks...twice. Seems to have bounced back although I've not exactly used the car to go anywhere since the last time. Think it was down to 9v on the indicator second time round.

The only way I noticed was that I'd go into the garage and walking near the car was setting the alarm off which is fun to sort out. 🙉

Clio 172
Do these type of batteries get loaded from the normal alternator aswell? Or do i need to charge them prior the track days? I use my clio mainly for track days but its street legal aswell and i have to drive to the track for +/- 1.5h...

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Ive just got one of these...ps09. Wasn’t sure if something so small would have the cranking power but it does.
My battery box is massive now 🙄

A44D4AC8-4971-4B15-8A53-1C61AC405408.jpeg
F8589A7F-FBAC-44BF-9F77-2C9A8A5D7834.jpeg

Well pleased with it. It was this thead that made my mind up as the odyssey died. Thanks guys.

Clio 172 ph 1
I´m using powerlite PS 20 for more than year now, no issues whatsoever. 2,4 kg, so not the lightest, but still more than happy. Anyone is running EPAS with these lithium batteries?

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
I'm running epas with mine.

I'm using a Exide ETL-20h well under 1kg. I've even accidentally ran it flat, and it's been spot on.

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
I have a PS 09 in mine, fine except when your on the trottle and the windows are wound up and hit the top then it seems to short (dash flashes goes on off) Only does it when your moving or on the throttle. Engine running on the drive its fine everything turned on both wiondows at the same time and it's fine.
Swapped the OEM battery back in today to make sure it was and can confirm no gremlins with the Bosch 063 jobbie.

Any Ideas because I'm stummped. I got auto up and down working though ...

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
I meant moving and on the throttle, can wind them up no short if I coast.

(sorry can't edit post yet it seems)