ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharged clio photos

mso

172 cup supercharged
LOL. ok then. I'm assuming you don't understand anything about the physics behind the reasons why lighter wheels are better? you've just decided that you're right?

Well it don't go to bad now does it and that's on 17s !!!!!

Stripped yozza'd cup
And that means that it wouldn't be better on 15's does it?

You're wrong. I'm not going to post the formula again as it's very long and I can be arsed. But, lighter wheels are better. FACT.

And I'm guessing that, from your answer, you don't understand the physics, and are just spouting crap which you don't understand.

Stripped yozza'd cup
The laws of physics rule here. Energy is needed to bring the wheel/tire mass up to speed (mph) and to spin it to the related rpm. Consider a lighter tire/wheel combo:

m = mass reduction
I = inertia reduction
w = rotational speed
v = car speed
r = tire radius
E = total energy saved by mass reduction "m"
^2 = squared

E = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 I w^2

E = E(speed) + E(rotation)

Rotary Inertia is the sum of each bit of mass times it's radius squared. If all the mass reduction is at the tire OD (the theoretical but not practical limit), the inertia reduction is the maximum possible value:

I = r^2 m

The relation between car speed and tire rpm:

v = r w

Combine 3 equations above:

E = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 (r^2 m) (v/r)^2

E = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 (m) (v)^2

E = 2 x E(speed) ... the 2X limit

So if you drop 10 lbs per corner, the net total weight savings is 4 x 17 = 68 lbs. For a 3700 lb car and driver, that's only a 1.8% change.

The main benefit of reducing wheel/tire or any unsprung weight is handling and comfort, by increasing the tires ability to keep good contact with the road. Total unsprung weight might be 80 lbs per corner, and 10 lbs would be a 13% change ... very significant.

This is for linear acceleration, And assuming equal weight distribution across the wheel. The true equation is a horribly complicated logarithmic job. But the point is the same.

The difference is greater the more power you have too.

Stripped yozza'd cup
f**king he'll mate you need to get out

Not so much, I just hate it when people argue things that they don't understand.

It wasn't a personal thing, your car is quick, there's no debating that. It's just fact that lighter wheels are better.

mso

172 cup supercharged
Not so much, I just hate it when people argue things that they don't understand.

It wasn't a personal thing, your car is quick, there's no debating that. It's just fact that lighter wheels are better.

I'll tell you what I'll go and buy some bloody 15s and if your wrong you owe me!!!;)

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG

Welcome to the debate that started and finished in January lol, looks like it goes well!

mso

172 cup supercharged
It goes and handles just fine on 17s in my opinion 15s look just to small, some people only want 15s cause the Tyres are cheaper!

Stripped yozza'd cup
LOL! - No doubt on some level that's correct but really wtf!! I doubt even a racing driver would consider the implications of gyroscopics and spinning tops!! It's all about feel and 17's feel better than 15's, much like the 19's feel better than the 18's.

You're wrong I'm afraid. Gyroscopic effect is a massive consideration when using lighter wheels.

Lotus Elise
AFAIK the racing driver doesn't have anything to do with the car other than drive it and give feedback to the mechanics and engineers so that they can get the best out of the car.

It's the mechanics/engineers that look into all the physics.

I know you are simple minded however so I won't go into any more detail.

This thread is going slightly off topic lol.

Are you on glue? You talk an almighty load of sh!te

Stripped yozza'd cup
Are you on glue? You talk an almighty load of sh!te

Sweet Jesus. Who wrote that reply?
''AFAIK'', it would appear that you don't 'know' very far.

How would the driver possibly give accurate feedback to the engineers if he doesn't understand the physics?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You're wrong I'm afraid. Gyroscopic effect is a massive consideration when using lighter wheels.

I'm wrong! lol...

Jack i've raced since i was 7yrs old, i've got a fairly good understanding of chassis dynamics and track setups! (or at least the racing driver version as Fred would say)

When i say 17's feel better then 15's and 19's feel better than 18's, i wasn't lying, nor was that up for debate. I'M TELLING YOU!

When you've put down the text books let me know!

Lotus Elise
When i can 17's feel better then 15's and 19's feel better than 18's, i wasn't lying, nor was that up for debate. I'M TELLING YOU!

It does depend what car you are driving though.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Correct. But he is insinuating thats smaller wheels are better fullstop. I.e GT2 cars should run smaller, lighter wheels?

No I'm not. I'm talking about a Clio. The car in the thread is a Clio, was I wrong to assume that this was the car that we are talking about?

I'm not suggesting that every car should run 15'' wheels, I thought that was obvious?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
No I'm not. I'm talking about a Clio. The car in the thread is a Clio, was I wrong to assume that this was the car that we are talking about?

I'm not suggesting that every car should run 15'' wheels, I thought that was obvious?

In your opinion 17's look crap
In your option 15's are better
In your option 15's handle better

As i have said above, i'm sure there is truth in the Physics, but sometimes driver style & feel is far more important.

Take Knockhill for example:

The Clio was noticeable more balanced on the 17's than it was on the 15's. Even the Radicals went up a rim size for balance.

Karts too, we ran a 6inch rim instead of 5, the turn in was lazy (Suited me better) but far easier to drive, and drive consistently.

Like I’ve said, what works for you may not apply to everyone else.

Closing statement, I’d imagine the majority of owners use their cars daily, therefore the physics of going to Asda via the pub is rather negated; don't you think!

Stripped yozza'd cup
In your opinion 17's look crap
In your option 15's are better
In your option 15's handle better

As i have said above, i'm sure there is truth in the Physics, but sometimes driver style & feel is far more important.

Take Knockhill for example:

The Clio was noticeable more balanced on the 17's than it was on the 15's. Even the Radicals went up a rim size for balance.

Karts too, we ran a 6inch rim instead of 5, the turn in was lazy (Suited me better) but far easier to drive, and drive consistently.

Like I’ve said, what works for you may not apply to everyone else.

Closing statement, I’d imagine the majority of owners use their cars daily, therefore the physics of going to Asda via the pub is rather negated; don't you think!

Fair point mate, I'm not suggesting that the physics is the be all and end all of car/driver performance.... but it is the easiest way to get people that don't really understand what they're talking about to see your point / understand the idea.

Obviously you do know what you're talking about, so my comments weren't aimed at you.

90% of the arguments on here must be caused by people misreading/misunderstanding things....

mso

172 cup supercharged
Fair point mate, I'm not suggesting that the physics is the be all and end all of car/driver performance.... but it is the easiest way to get people that don't really understand what they're talking about to see your point / understand the idea.

Obviously you do know what you're talking about, so my comments weren't aimed at you.

90% of the arguments on here must be caused by people misreading/misunderstanding things....
I'll take you out in mine on 17s then tell me it don't handle!!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

90% of the arguments on here must be caused by people misreading/misunderstanding things ....

90% of arguements in life must be caused by people misreading/misunderstanding things...

The 19's on the Z4 are possibly the most uncomfortable things i've ever driven on, coupled with the fact they are a 30profile and over £300 a corner. The ultimate grip however is vastly better than the 18's...But again on the wrong surface they tramline and pull you about!

I often relate back to my Willy, pin sharp turn in on the wee 15's...I hated it!

DCi 100
What suspension set up have you got on this? (apologies if it's already been said but I'm not reading the 8 pages)

F1 cars run 13 inch wheels no? I think everyone is 2 inches too big ;)

Clio 172 RS2
16" ftw! ! !
So there you have it! ;)

F1 = 13" wheels as per rules governing...
Article 12.4.2 Of the F1 Technical regulations states that the maximum diameter of a wheel must be less than 660mm with dry tyres and 670mm with wets.
Article 12.4.4 States that the wheel bead diameter must be between 328mm and 332mm.