ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharging a 172?

01 Renaultsport Clio 172
Just having a browse round on ebay and noticed you can pick up bmw mini superchargers for not as much as you'd think.....Just got me wondering if you could supercharge a 172 with one or infact if anyone had already done it? and what sort of power increase they gained?

Cheers
Sam

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
im supercharging mine with throttle boddies.

the eaton bmw chargers are a good choice for a 172.

im using a Rotrex Sp 94

01 Renaultsport Clio 172
ben P - what sort of money are you talking to do such a conversion do you think on top of the Supercharger itself? and what sort of power gains? I wouldnt be doing TB's though....

Sam

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
a certain company are starting doing superchargers for 1*2s
the 1st one is starting very soon, murmers of 400bhp,

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
lol no not ktec

but it looks like you have to uprate all your internals, costly job

and the guy that said ITBs and a supercharger.... why??

its one or the other

01 Renaultsport Clio 172
i'd be doing it on the cheap, just wondering how much more i'd need other than the supercharger unit itself (in terms of plumming ect)

obviously you'd need a certain amount of customisation in terms of mounting it ect.

Sam

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
lol no not ktec

its one or the other
mmmmm, i wonder who that cud be? LOL

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
lol no not ktec

its one or the other

LOL, care to explain more (with some technical reasoning)

MCS R56
400 BHP is a waste on a Clio or any front wheel drive cars. For the cash it would cost you could have a decent car - Evo etc

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
400 Bhp can be put through the Front Wheels quite easily if you know how, My Bro-In-Law is almost running 400Bhp in his Fiat Coupe and he puts it down easily, Those who say they would rather have 220 Bhp instead of 400 Bhp are talking outta there arse, You would kick yourself if you got thrashed by a 400 Bhp car and you'd opted for just 220 Bhp

Just My Opinion

Andy

Evo 6, E92 320d
Supercharging my RSi is my main tuning aim, within the next year or 2, unless i chop it in for something else.

Lotus Elise 111R
tbh i wouldnt like to stick a charger on standard internals will just go boom

That is not actually true, in fact quite the opposite. You can supercharge an engine without any change of internals, then remove it when you want to sell.

Met a couple of guys at Spa that had civic type r engines running over 300bhp with bolt on superchargers and no internal changes at al.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
With the Mini superchargers being designed for a smaller capacity engine (ok not by much but still) would they be adequate or would you need something meant for a bigger engine? Or does that not matter with a s charger? :)

tbh i wouldnt like to stick a charger on standard internals will just go boom

That is not actually true, in fact quite the opposite. You can supercharge an engine without any change of internals, then remove it when you want to sell.

Met a couple of guys at Spa that had civic type r engines running over 300bhp with bolt on superchargers and no internal changes at al.
Depends how far and how good the engine is the k20 engine is different than a Clio and can take 300hp on stock internals as its a better engine.
With the Mini superchargers being designed for a smaller capacity engine (ok not by much but still) would they be adequate or would you need something meant for a bigger engine? Or does that not matter with a s charger? :)
Idealy want somehting bigger as you don't want to overspin the charger.

TDI tyre shreader
400 Bhp can be put through the Front Wheels quite easily if you know how, My Bro-In-Law is almost running 400Bhp in his Fiat Coupe and he puts it down easily, Those who say they would rather have 220 Bhp instead of 400 Bhp are talking outta there arse, You would kick yourself if you got thrashed by a 400 Bhp car and you'd opted for just 220 Bhp

Just My Opinion

Andy

And been listening to clarkson too much! thats 95% of the problem on here everyone has an opinion on something they havnt done!

Megane 2 GT 165
Since my mate has a SLK 2.3 kompressor I thought and have a look at that but it seems they also made a 2.0 kompressor.

http://www.autoweek.nl/carbasedata.php?cache=no&vpos=&id=21115&cache=no

Sorry for the Dutch link. Anyway It's a 2.0L engine and uses a compressor. I haven't looked into howmuch boost the compressor delivers, I understand the stock clio engine can deal with a 0.5bar overboost (as some manufacturers are offering low boost turbo kits (o.5 bar)).

I am not a car mechanic, but the 11:1 compression ratio and the 9.5:1 from the merc seem a bit off. So there might have to be some pressure reducing.

Also the compressor seems to be mechanical, (I guess this means that it isn't belt driven) So then you are looking in modifying the engine heavily and might aswell change internals.

Sorry for the Dutch link. Anyway It's a 2.0L engine and uses a compressor. I haven't looked into howmuch boost the compressor delivers, I understand the stock clio engine can deal with a 0.5bar overboost (as some manufacturers are offering low boost turbo kits (o.5 bar)).

I am not a car mechanic, but the 11:1 compression ratio and the 9.5:1 from the merc seem a bit off. So there might have to be some pressure reducing.

Also the compressor seems to be mechanical, (I guess this means that it isn't belt driven) So then you are looking in modifying the engine heavily and might aswell change internals.
Boost on the compressor engines is very low due to the design of the chargers used.

Idealy you'd want to lower the CR of the engine but depends how cheap you want to go about it depends if you would.

You can make the superchargers work but idealy turbo would be the way I'd go given a choice.

Megane 2 GT 165
Edde may I ask why you would choose turbo instead of compressor? Maybe you could say something about the pro's and con's of both?

And are there any real electric compressors/ turbo's for cars? (not those ebay things, but that really work) I have seen some hybrid, but that's it.

Last edited: