ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Surely this is a massive clue!!

Clio MK 4
You probably read my car been cutting out when its cool outside only. Well had lambda sensor replaced and it still doing it. however i noticed it cuts out when i been driving on a 60mph road for a few mins and when i get to round about the revs go a little funny then the car cuts.

However before i turned the ignition back on to start car up it did it itself!!!! As if i turned the key but i didnt! revs fluctuated again and cut this time i had to turn key.

What do i do!!!!!!! No one knows and its quite dangerous as i lose steering and someone could go into me !

my car does misfire first thing in the morning. i dont know if this is related.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
mine did cut out a little before as the earth strap on the engine came off!?!
also i think it the runs through the other earth instead eg all the earths on the engine sensors!?!

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Tried putting that RedX engine cleaner stuff in? I had my Punto keep cutting out when I put the clutch down. That sorted it.

Clio MK 4
i guess it may be the battery but only had it replaced 4 months ago. plus renault would have checked that i assume when it was in.

It getting worse in the way that before it would only cut if temp outside was 12 degrees or below. but now its anything from 15 and below. and has resorted in me not using the car as its always around 15 degrees outside and cant be arsed with it cutting. I cant even go to a garage till 2 weeks due to not having any money!

I can tell when it'l cut as whilst driving the car will suddenly feel very lumpy and jerky and as soon as i let revs drop then it cuts as the revs go down to 0. so i got to change gears quickly not allowing the revs to drop.

Do you think my BMC air filter could be doing this?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
doesnt sound too good, and it isnt anything to do with cold start map if its doing it whilst you are driving

my old mk1 used to do this, randomly would start misfiring, and i knew that if i came to a junction it would stall, so i used to use the handbrake and keep my right foot on the accelerator! very very dangerous. i had a few mechanics look at it and replace numerous things, eventually i put some additive in the fuel on the recommendation of a very good mechanic, who told me to give it a good blast, it still did it for 2 days, then all of a sudden one day when giving it some stick it coughed and spluttered and let out a massive cloud of black smoke. ran sweet as a nut after that. worth a try for the cost of some additive.

Clio MK 4
I have figured out that it only cuts when i let the revs drop so changing gear or coming to a stop. it doesnt stall just cuts as revs fall to 0. Whe i start the car up after it cut the revs fluctuate a bit and will cut again unless i rev the car as i start it up where it'll hold itself.

Clio MK 4
renault changed it. they never told me which one. i cant be arsed spending money on replacing the other when it might not be that.

Monaco RS Clio 172
I know this is not extremely helpful as at the moment I have not got much of a clue about the 172 engine, but my old ford used to do this, and yes I know it's a totally dif car but if the engine management design is similar, in my ford, it was mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, and air temperature sensor.

try putting your std air filter back on and see if it helps. it will change if it is something to do with your air intake, as it does sound like a sensor going up the pictures, but you need to find which one.

do you know anybody with a 172 the same as yours close to you who could maybe switch a few easy parts / sensors to check for differences?

Chelsea tractor
You probably read my car been cutting out when its cool outside only. Well had lambda sensor replaced and it still doing it. however i noticed it cuts out when i been driving on a 60mph road for a few mins and when i get to round about the revs go a little funny then the car cuts.

However before i turned the ignition back on to start car up it did it itself!!!! As if i turned the key but i didnt! revs fluctuated again and cut this time i had to turn key.

What do i do!!!!!!! No one knows and its quite dangerous as i lose steering and someone could go into me !

my car does misfire first thing in the morning. i dont know if this is related.
You looked at the connections on the ignition barrel?

Audi S1
i guess it may be the battery but only had it replaced 4 months ago. plus renault would have checked that i assume when it was in.

I wouldnt assume they done it....Only one way to be certain take a trip down to halford, free battery test...they give u a reciept... then if it is that... GO back to that renualt garage and open some cans of woops ass!:rasp:

Clio MK 4
really hope it not my BMC as i had so much hassel putting it on, that i got rstuning to fit it (i know im s**t lol) so it was fitted correctly. Plus if it is that i must be the only person on here that has a problem with the bmc as so many people have them on their sports and not had problems.

I had the kit on for 3 months before these problems and didnt have anything wrong. car used to misfire and idle funny well before i had the bmc kit on.

also noticed when cold my revs get stuck around 1.5 2k revs. dont know if it related.

Titanium 182
when your driving and it cuts is it starting up again because your basically bump starting it at 60mph. Or do you take it out of gear when it stalls ?

Monaco RS Clio 172
I don't think it is the bmc. I think it is quite probable that it is a sensor gone up the spout, and it could be one of the air intake sensors.

throttle position, mass air flow, air temp.

as I say tho, I am not positive. this is thru my experience with fords so I should keep my gob shut as the renault is probly alot different in terms of possible problems and sensor faults.

again tho if there was a fault, surely the EML would be illuminated?

Cyclone Blue 1.2
my mate had the same sort of problem, it was his temp sensor, and his temp gauge was always half way too,

randomly cut out when he stopped, when he started revs sat about 1.5-2k

Clio MK 4
when your driving and it cuts is it starting up again because your basically bump starting it at 60mph. Or do you take it out of gear when it stalls ?

It wont cut while in gear and as long as i hold the revs. So whilst driving i can feel it suddenly go really lumpy and jerky which is a sign that as soon as i let revs drop (so changing gear or come to stand stil) the car cuts as revs drop all the way down to 0k. It doesnt stall just cut.

restarts again but i have to rev the car and hold revs a bit or they fluctuate and revs die again. but if i rev it enough it holds itself until next time.

it happens more when i been on a national speed limit road and i then come down to round abouts and that.

Clio MK 4
the main sympton is it ONLY does it when its cool outside. so 15 degrees or below. if its 20 degrees it will never cut no matter what.

Need to find out which lambda was changed please? I'd imagine renault would have chaged the post cat lambda but need to know for 100% as changing the other lambda would have been a fruitless exercise

What does the water temps read do they look ok? If its temperature related check the temp sensors ie air and water

BMW M135i
I'd be wanting to view the sensor data to make sure everything correlates up. Could be the intake air temp sensor but then again your stabbing in the dark without any diagnostic gear.

Clio MK 4
just wondering. when renault do a diagnostic test do they do it in the garage, plug the car to the machine and see from there or can they plug it in and drive the car?

Cause unless the car doesnt cut out on them they wont find anything? They said if it did have a fault it still wont be backed up on the ecu as it wipes errors when the car runs

R35 GTR
check the throttle body. Mine used to do this until I changed only the throttle body and hasnt happened since.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
with my old fiesta, it used to cut out in 3rd gear only (fiesta cut-outs seemed to be common practice!!), it could be summet to do with the throttle body or a clogged up ICV.

Btw, my car is currently having its Lambda sensor replacing as the person who owned the car before got the cat converter replaced but not the sensor. Anyway, on mine (1.4 sport, year 2000) it only has one sensor, I think later models have 2.