ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension advice for a 172 Mk 2

Renault Laguna Coupe

Springs are just springs. Coilovers are springs and shocks in one. Huge price difference - springs around £130, coilovers any price you care to name. Probably best to start with springs. AS Daz said, Eibachs are the benchmark replacement spring on 172s.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Had the Eibach Prokit springs fitted at the weekend and............

......couldnt believe the difference in the handling. It feels totally sorted!!!

When I put the 17s on it made it a bit head strong....wanted to tram line more and needed more steering input to keep it in a straight line . Now its just point and go!!!!

the best mod so far for sure.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

if u want coilovers i got a place that quoted me 375 quid for my clio for the avo coil over kit with hieght and dampning adjustable.....

mine is on Koni shocks and Apex springs - and it is very different - much improved - handling wise. Looks cooler too lowered. :D

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Cheers All

Food for thought, Probibly go for the Eibach Prokit

Kis172, did you have yours on something diffrent first or were these your first choice ?

i have h&r coilovers currently set at -40mm and they are great, BenR will back me up on saying the car corners brilliantly, made a good handling car into an awsome handling one, well chuffed and although expensive i reckon they are worth every penny :D

Lionel Richie

Ill answer theis one on behalf of Kis!!!

Kis owns a Yellow 172, Apex springs are yellow and Koni Shocks are yellow, but this is obviouly unrelated to her choice:D

Lol Fred!! wait till the 30th - I shall get my revenge !!!! :devilish:

no, actually I was waiting for coilovers from K-tec, but they took so long that my "expert" did some investigations and came up with the answer we went for.

if you need more techy stuff than that ask Slugger! :D

its low, its bumpy, and it handles better - but it doesnt have that endless bounce that you can get from hard suspension, so it suits me fine! :D

S2000

i chose them cos they is yellow ;) :eek:

i chose the springs cos they say 40mm drop where as i heard people with eibachs saying they only lowered their car about 5mm, the koni shocks cos i know someone else that had that already and they was impressed with them.

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Quote: Originally posted by Slugger on 12 August 2003

i chose them cos they is yellow ;) :eek:

LOL at Slugger, cheers for the HELP you two, much appreciated and for Fred whos gonna help fit them :D

Just to provide food for thought body roll doesnt mean bad handling, i think its unfair to judge the car on the road alone. I find the 172s quite hard as it, lowering springs will make this worse. (Obviously this depends on your tolerance). Also bear in mind the warranty issues. Im not sure how often you go on track Hippychick but the OE setup will be more forgiving, and more fun.

-Rob

Renault Laguna Coupe

Good point about the warranty issue - those yellow springs are a dead giveaway! Thats one good thing about the Eibachs - virtually undetectable.

S2000

Springs and shocks come with their own warranty ;)

If you are changing springs only though there is a chance, being stiffer, that they can take out the standard shocks which then obviously wouldnt be covered if they knew about the after market springs.

Something to consider

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 19 August 2003

Thats one good thing about the Eibachs - virtually undetectable.
unless you get a Renault monkey that can read..... has Eibach written all over them LOL!!!

Had the Eibachs on for about a week now and the run down to Donny and back was very smooth.... infact I think theyre not as harsh as the OEM ones.

The only down side is the amount they lower...the rears are just right but the front could have done being slightly shorter to close the arch gap, but Im really impressed how right the handle is now.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

:cry::cry::cry::cry: my point exactly.....not a lot of difference.

until you drive it......so much better than OEM!!

Yeah! Got the springs installed on June 21! I don´t know about settling (sp) on Eibachs but I look my Clio lower now. I´ll post a new pic tomorrow.

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 19 August 2003

Are you sure the bottom pic is lowered?
ahem, I have to say I agree Rhys, I thought the top one looked lower!?!?

at least when I put my Konis and Apex springs on it looked lower as well as handled better!! :D

clio sport mk1 golf

hippy no no dont go too low hunni, howz spook meant to get over them speed bumps on main street? nealry took chloes front bumper off and she aint lowered yet!!! or i must have gone the wrong way maybe there aint speed bumps near the duck pond!!! he he quack quack!!!!

geez spooks gonna be one hell of a cool school spook wagon!!!

respect!!!