ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension coil broke + coilover help

S7u

Clio mk3
Ok I need a little info and advice, all is welcome!

Yesterday I was cleaning my car and seen that my suspension(coil) is snapped and basically part of it is just wobbling about. I have a few questions and queries I would like some help with.
Firstly how safe is the car to drive as it is? The suspension isn't colmpletely wrecked, but it's clearly broken.
I was thinking of lowering the car a few weeks ago but didn't fancy paying the prices for coilovers, so would you guys recommend I go ahead and get coilovers now, or get the stock spring fixed and at what cost? I am kinda on a budget so I don't know if coilovers would be reasonable second hand or if there are some brands I haven't seen yet that would be more suited to a lower budget?
Also, with cheaper coilover kits, do they last long or are the temporary and eventually cause me more problems in the future?

I'm driving an mk3 clio non sport, 06 model.
Thanks in advance

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Clio III is notorious for springs snapping. Replace the lot with a decent set of lowering springs by Eibach and improve the cars looks whilst adding components that will last a fair while or replace just the the front one with a cheap spring and see you again in one month when the other front goes ping.

S7u

Clio mk3
Clio III is notorious for springs snapping. Replace the lot with a decent set of lowering springs by Eibach and improve the cars looks whilst adding components that will last a fair while or replace just the the front one with a cheap spring and see you again in one month when the other front goes ping.

Okay, thanks for the reply. Replacing the lot with lowering springs would I need to replace the stock shocks as well? From what I have read they don't last long once lowering springs are used? Thanks!

S7u

Clio mk3
Okay, cheers mate. I thought it was always recommended to replace the original struts if I was changing the springs to lowering springs.

anyone add anymore advice? Thanks!

As far as I'm aware people only replace the shocks if they are doing a full suspension refresh. I've had my springs on now for plenty of abusive trackdays and all is still fine so don't worry. Just buy the springs and enjoy the better ride height and stiffness for spirited driving.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Lowering by a snall amount will be fine for the shocks.
Its when people go silly low it causes problems.

Oh and don't drive it with a broken spring.

Front or rear you didn't say.

S7u

Clio mk3
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm wanting to do all four, lowered basically going for a better look while replacing the broken spring. But will I need to replace the struts as well, and it's the front spring that has gone. Are there spring kits at good value that come with new struts? I'm a bit of a newbie sorry people, thanks again!

Eibach Sportlines at about £150 (Keep standard shocks)

Cooksport springs at about £110 (Keep standard shocks)

Or Coilovers at £300-£1000 depending on quality.

S7u

Clio mk3
Eibach Sportlines at about £150 (Keep standard shocks)

Cooksport springs at about £110 (Keep standard shocks)

Or Coilovers at £300-£1000 depending on quality.

And they should last without any problems? Thanks mate, appreciate it

The only thing that could potentially cause problems is really cheap and nasty coilovers.

Springs will be fine on their own if you go for one of the above.

Obviously I can't tell if you have any underlying problems with your shocks currently but you'd probably have realised yourself by now.

S7u

Clio mk3
The only thing that could potentially cause problems is really cheap and nasty coilovers.

Springs will be fine on their own if you go for one of the above.

Obviously I can't tell if you have any underlying problems with your shocks currently but you'd probably have realised yourself by now.

Thanks man :)