ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

swapping 15 rims for 16 =’s less diamet

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

I always couldnt under stand why people say you get slower acceleration when you swap you standard stock rims for bigger ones, as I would expect them to be the same overall size (give or take a few %) as you would use a low profile tyre. After all if the overall diametre was larger then that would mean your calculated speed would be wrong.

Anyway, I was just using the calculator on http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/TyreCalc.asphttp://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/TyreCalc.asp

if I swap my 185/55/15 (dynamique) wheels an tyres for say 195/45/16 (172 ones i think) than my overall diametre would infact be -0.51% smaller :)

My problem with bigger wheels wasnt really one of acceleration, but agility through corners and sharp direction changes in the main.

ST

I changed my standard dynamique 15s with 172 16s n i havent felt any difference really, it does have more grip through corners and sits better on the road and its standard suspension set up for now. Plus the tyre wall is alot stiffer with no rim protector therefore theres less "give" when cornering hard.

ST

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 16 May 2004

My problem with bigger wheels wasnt really one of acceleration, but agility through corners and sharp direction changes in the main.
What size of wheels did you have on youre car as standard mate, and i take it youve changed to 17s?

Quote: Originally posted by 16vClio on 16 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 16 May 2004

What size of wheels did you have on youre car as standard mate, and i take it youve changed to 17s?
Nah I bought it with 17s on, having owned a Williams previously.

Love the way it looked on the 17s, but they had to go.

Ride quality was another big issue.....

ST

Oh right, wouldnt 16s be ok on it, a little comprimise both ways i.e they look good not as good as 17s, but they wont handle as well as 15s but they will still handle pretty well?

Correct me if am wrong?

Yeah 16s seem to be a good compromise.. Should imagine the ride quality is absolutely appalling with 45 profile tyres on though.

ST

Well i had 15s on mine and changed to 16s with the 45 pros and its prob better, what did you mean by appalling?

ST

Well it aint quite as bad a 205/40/17, its bearable, well my car aint lowered yet, so ill let you know what its like when ive dropped it 60mm! LOL

My car had std 13" steels in, i stuck 15" on with lower profile tyres, thin they are 11% bigger, and the difference in handling is imense, much faster through corners. Think thats more to do wiht the fact that they were 40mm wider tho

If you have a 15" wheel and tyre, and a 16" wheel and tyre, both using the same tyre and same width, but a different aspect ratio....the 15" tyre will still take less energy to spin.

why?

Orientation of the masses.......simple.

15" tyres also make our sort of cars much easier to deal with on the limit

ST

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 16 May 2004

If you have a 15" wheel and tyre, and a 16" wheel and tyre, both using the same tyre and same width, but a different aspect ratio....the 15" tyre will still take less energy to spin.

why?

What clio you got mate?

Clio II and Grand Modus

Well it aint quite as bad a 205/40/17, its bearable, well my car aint lowered yet, so ill let you know what its like when ive dropped it 60mm! LOL
I´m on 17´s with a -70mm drob........:D A bit bumpy on bad roads yes but still the comfort on long trips is good I think. Just the look of a slammed beast on 17´s make you smile even thou you have to drive slow over bumps and stuf........:D

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 16 May 2004

why?

What clio you got mate?
a valver

ST

Oh rite, is that what you meant when you said?

ST

Yeah but ive heard that wheels over about a 16" on a valver etc wastes the performance, where as ive only a 1.2 16v so performance is non exsistant! So thats why most put bigger wheels on n go for styling, plus the arches on the newer cars are bigger.

You say on the limit, the limit on mines is about 105mph, where as yours is what 130-135mph-ish?

ok, i think your getting me muddled up lol.

I know they use it for looks, but im talking from a pure performance point of view.

Larger wheels can loose you performance.

And when i talk about on the limit handling, im not talking about speed. Im talking about the edge which you teeter around when cornering.

Quote: Originally posted by Michael on 16 May 2004

I´m on 17´s with a -70mm drob........:D A bit bumpy on bad roads yes but still the comfort on long trips is good I think. Just the look of a slammed beast on 17´s make you smile even thou you have to drive slow over bumps and stuf........:D
Mine has a small drop (30mm). I only did a few long journies in the car with the big wheels on, but I had lingering back/neck pain after every single one :sick: