ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping a beam

I had my cup tracked up before FCS and the guy at kwikfit (don't say it) told me the rear beam is bent

He put the front tracking gear on the back and the passenger rear wheel was showing 3degrees of toe-in

I've found a very low mileage mint 172 cup rear beam - just the beam and arms (no hubs, etc...)

How much work is it to drop the beam off my car, swap the hubs/brakes/suspension etc.. onto a new beam and bolt it back on?

Lionel Richie
go to a proper alingment place, i highly doubt its bent, probably just a knackered bearing if anything

Could a knackered bearing cause 3degrees of toe in??? I would have thought with it sat on wheels a knackered bearing would cause camber rather than toe in? Thats why I assumed its a bent arm

I was stood looking at the equipment with him - outside of that tyre is also more worn than inner - so it does look right

He reckoned somebody might have slid into a kerb or something with it - and as it doesn't have its original wheels then that could be true

I have engine crane, multiple trolley jacks, etc..

I've changed over 20 rear beams on 106's - if its a case of axel stands on car, trolley jacks under beam, undo bolts - lower/remove/refit - then I should be ok

Got a 35,000 mile cup beam for £50

Lionel Richie
kwik fit's equipment isn't exactly the most accurate in the world ;)

worn bearing causes toe in yes, also wears the outside edge of the tyre

very rare its a stub axle or a beam, you'd have to really really tw*t it to bend it

oooooh - the rear discs are rusty as f**k anyway - so it might be worth me buying a pair of discs (I understand the bearings are in the discs) first off then and see if that sorts it?

Lionel Richie
i would, i've had an expert tell 2 of my customers their rear beams were bent when they were arrow straight, just knackered rear bearings

Thanks Fred - really appreciate that

Found some mintex rear discs, pads, bearings (with bearings pre-pressed in) for £80 - so i'll get them ordered and give them a go! :D

very rare its a stub axle or a beam, you'd have to really really tw*t it to bend it

yup, had to change mine last week due to spinning the car and the rear O/S hit a curb, took me about 4 hours including stripping both beams so wasnt to bad a job, i thought the worst part was the brake lines as the flexi pipes were rusted solid onto the old beam.

would you not notice it when driving though or even by the eye?

Follow up from this

I had a visual look around the beam and couldn't see anything bent - but then last weekend I fitted new rear brake discs and pads

The passenger brake disc was catching on the back of the hub - which makes me think the guy was right and it is bent
But I think it's the stub axle that's bent rather than the actual beam

I saw the stub axle is just held in with 4 bolts - so can I buy these and just swap them over?

Evo 8 MR
A friend of mine hit a kerb in his old Clio with his rear wheel, he didn't hit it that hard but it was clearly visible that it was bent afterwards.

My point is I doubt 3 degress of toe in means it's bent.

Also when I had full four wheel alignment on mine the guy told me the n/s rear still had a bit of toe in/out (can't remember exactly) and that he couldn't get it right but he said not to worry about it.

I've not noticed any ill effects.