ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping front for the rear -TYRES

Hi all

Can I swap around my front tyres to the rear and "vise versa" as fronts are nearly worn out??

Car is 1.6 02 and done 17000m.

Cherrs

Mazda MX5 1.8

i did on my old 1.2 8v and didnt seem to have any problems

as long as u dont change sides over then id say it was alright

Some people on this forum say its not on!

Pretty worn on the fronts and i dont drive that hard!

Could a Strut Brace after my sevice nxt mth solve any prob (I may even lower it with Eibach) and does new Polyflex bushes help with anything?

Chers

Dont do at unless you drive like my parents all the time. The Clio has little weight over the rear so when you coner the grip levless are lower on the rear meaning that if you put low grip tyres on the back (ie worn) then the rear will loose grip before the front ones making the car overstear like mad. and cost you seriously like it did for me.

Dont be cheap buy some new ones and put the new ones on the back and the rear ones on the front. Some mag a whele ago showed that the best grip for new/ old, front/ rear tyres was with new tyres on the back and the older ones on the front (new all round was the best) cannot explain it though as Im still in the dark a bit.

There shouldnt be any problems wearing of parts swoping the tyres round if the wear is even.

So go buy some new ones you need to some time why not now. Whilst I was going backwards on the wrong side of the road I couldnt stop thinking of how stupid I had been not buying some new tyres. Swoping the tyres cost me £500 excess and £300 increased premiums (although I did get three new wheels out of it).

EDD

^^^^What he said^^^^

Dont be cheap, get some new tyres on there now!

Remember, the tyres are the only thing keeping your car on the road and not in a hedge......

I swap my front and rear tyres over every two months or thereabouts - so they wear more or less at the same rate. Id rather replace all four at the same time. Whats it going to be? £150-300 for a Mk1 liek a Williams/16V. I can live with that.

I can see that if your front tyres were totally worn and the rear ones not, then swapping over would have an obvious impact on the handling. But at the same time remember that the front tyres being really worn in the first place is worse as they do most of the accelerating, steering and braking: hence the reason they wear quicker in the first place!!!