ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Switching off the steering wheel airbag?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I live in Hull and Dixons (my local Renault dealership) won't switch off my drivers airbag, I want to remove my current steering wheel, because in this summers heat the glue failed and it came to bits and its currently held together with tape, I wish to replace it with a Momo steering wheel, but they won't switch off the airbag?

Any suggestions? I've been told to disconnect the battery for 20mins, but I didn't know how safe that would really be?

Si

if you disconnect the battery for around an hour i think it discharges all power from the airbag control system and allows you to remove it with out it blowing off in your face.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
^^ yes leave the battery off and that shud discharge the system

Still be carefull !! as it can go at any time but is unlikely.

Renault cant switch off the airbags anyway it is not possible.

After you change your steering wheel, the airbag warning light will remain on and the system wont work. You need a resistor over the connectors to make it work. (check previous threads)

Also be sure to tell your insurance company as you are removing a safety device and they will probably bump up your premium.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I've since called another Renault dealership that told me as long as the keys aren't in the ignition, then the bag shouldn't go off anyway?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
It shouldnt go off but thats just normal operation.

Since you will be messign round with the unit there is a chance of it deploying. There are always labels telling you to be carefull etc...

Airbags come shipped in special containors and are treated as explosives that should give you a clue.