ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Synchro Problems on 16v

Hello,

Every now and then i have probs shifting down into 2nd. Do 16v boxes have a tendency to do this after a while?

Done 78,000 now and cant find any evidence in history of a gearbox oil change, i know i need to do this asap anyway.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

The box oil isnt required to be changed, just topped up, but it might be a good idea, the proper oil is expensive though.

synchro wear can be bad yea, sepecially if people drive with their hand on teh knob and change gear poorly.

Been like it since i bought it (3mths ago). 2 previous owners. Friend of mine mentioned Red Dot (i think) as replacement oil, supposed to be the best on the market.

First job with new years pay packet i think!

Redline oils.

They are good frictionreducers but need regular changing as its service life is short. And it aint cheap!

I would use either the recommended Elf 75w80, torco 75w90 or any other synthetic 75w90 that meets the required quality codes.

Titanium 182

iv got this problem 2

my gearbox was fully rebuilt 10k ago

only seems to be when cold?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

we use elf 75/80.2nd gear synchro probably worn out from previous owners ragging it into 2nd.you would need 2nd gear+syncro kit to cure.news parts arent that much but you might get a recon box pretty cheap,have a look around.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 23 December 2003

The box oil isnt required to be changed, just topped up, but it might be a good idea, the proper oil is expensive though.

synchro wear can be bad yea, sepecially if people drive with their hand on teh knob and change gear poorly.
But you always drive with your hand on your Knob Ben!