ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tank millage frm your 1.4rt's?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
wat do u get frm a full tank? i get 200miles till the petrol light flickers thats if i rags it most the time, but what baffles me is that if i drive it as sensible as possbile i only get 250 frm the tank?:S

Fiesta ST
Sounds about the same as me. Usually if I rag it most of the time I'm lucky to get 200miles. If sensibly I will get 250miles and then if doing motorway journys (I went from Newcastle to Wales) I will get 350+ miles. :)

If you think she's drinking the petrol, perhaps change the sparks and leads and slap in some injector cleaner, such as Redex. Make sure she is running some decent oil as well. :)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
to a tenner i get 100mile driving like a girl, motorway crusing, can easily get 380 miles + to a tank!

Valver
On my valver I get about 230 and thats ragging it a bit! 200 out of a RT means something is def wrong!! How much does it cost you to fill the tank?

i allways thought there was something wrong with my 1.4 rt, but i just guest it was cuz its my first car and i dont really have a clue, but i get barely 200miles on a full tank!sometimes i swear i can actually see the needle going down!:(

Fiesta ST
It costs me about £30-£35 to fill her full. But my mates Mk1 Ph3 is exactly the same as well. I think it's because of the mileage personally. His has done over 100K miles and mine has done just over 95k miles.

Lol, bland, I can see the needle move too but that's when you go up a steep hill or round bends it'll move. I'm guessing it uses some kind of float to measure the fuel level.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
yeh i was thinking somethign wasnt rite plugs, leads or filter, but i think the rt's r just petrol drinkers 2 b honest

i went to london and back on a full tank, was on about 1 or 2 bars at the end, about 300 miles there and back. mostly at motorway speed... + 20mph or so maybe :). worked it out at about 40mpg, i think thats maybe pushing it a bit, probably more like 33-37.

find it hard to actually be particularly rapid in a 1.4 no matter how much you glue your right boot to the floor! Serviced my brothers mk4 golf gti today and took it out for a test run, now that had some go i tell you, found it very difficult to keep to the speed limit, plus it didn't feel like it was gonna fall apart round my ears.

M2 Competition
Jim_RT said:
Something like that yeah, but I do have a de-cat as well so that does lower the MPG for me personally.

Since ive had my decat on, i get better mpg??

Especially on motorways? Surely this aint right?

172 FF
my old car got more mpg when i put a 1.4rt engine in it from a 1.2rl mainly because of the higher compression and the fact i left the 1.2 injector + inlet on so it ran a bit slower but ragging it i got 260 mile to a tank and it wasn't much slower than a proper rt.

S2000
I'm not sure about mine at the moment as I've not had it insured for a while (re-insured yesterday though :)). Before that mine was a bit mixed though. When I first got it I go about 45mpg on average when I did a long journey, but later I was only getting about 75 miles to £10, though occasionaly I would get about 100 miles driving it exactly the same. I replaced a few bit and pieces though and it was returning reasonable firgures again.

I think there is a problem that can occur on these engines as they are capable of returning excellent MPG, but very often they seem to manage to go wrong and produce they crap figures mentioned above. It would be great if we could find a fix to it tbh as it's probably a similar problem on all of them.

I run mine on optimax and driving sensibly around town (no motorway miles) i get 260ish give or take 10 either way. Ive never seen more than 270 to a tank

And even though the handbook reckons the tanks are 40L its complete guff, from almost dry i can brim mine to the petrol cap and it will take 33L So the mpg is actually better than you probaby think.

BTW i can vouch for optimax even if it doesnt have any performance benefit, from running mine on superkarket 95ron i never used to get more than 250miles to a tank, but now running 98ron i can hit 270.

Fiesta ST
Peperami said:
Since ive had my decat on, i get better mpg??

Especially on motorways? Surely this aint right?

Lol that can't be right can it? If you go round the back of my car all you can smell is petrol. :D

That's what I'm blaming my poor MPG on though. :p

A silver Honda
I get 320 miles to a full tank, with an Induction Kit and cat back exhaust system.

Using normal unleaded, mostly driving on quick A roads.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Remedi said:
I get 320 miles to a full tank, with an Induction Kit and cat back exhaust system.

Using normal unleaded, mostly driving on quick A roads.

how the f**k do u manage that!

A silver Honda
Ok around town driving (urban) it would probably be 260-280.

I get 290-ish miles from a full tank in my Honda Del Sol VTI with some 'V-Tec-ing'!

Trust me, try driving like Morgan Freeman lol

6/468 17poo
Im in the same boat as alot of you guys!!sometimes good most of the time crap!

I remember ages ago someone on renaultsportclub website said leave the battery disconnected over night to reset the ecu and apparantly this worked!

I think its bullshit to be honest but maybe worth a try, plus my decat saves petrol im sure!!!!Remedis must be on drugs or summit!

Mk1 Ph2 1.4 RT !FOR SALE!
Why would anyone run their RT on Optimax? For me, its a waste of money.

If you drive sensibly - i.e. in a gear that keeps the revs low, but doesnt over-load the engine, drive with the windows up unless neccessary, and avoid taking any heavy weight that is uneccessary - i.e. fat mates/stuff in the boot, then you should get good mpg's. I know my RT is great on fuel economy anyway.

Nyphur said:
Why would anyone run their RT on Optimax? For me, its a waste of money.

If you drive sensibly - i.e. in a gear that keeps the revs low, but doesnt over-load the engine, drive with the windows up unless neccessary, and avoid taking any heavy weight that is uneccessary - i.e. fat mates/stuff in the boot, then you should get good mpg's. I know my RT is great on fuel economy anyway.

I know optimax gives me better mpg theres no doubt about that, plus the car runs soother so i think its worth it.

I currently get fantastic fuel economy as my cars failed its MOT so isnt going anywhere. The fuel bills have been slashed!

S2000
Nyphur & Remedi - It's not just about how you drive though, it just seems some RT's are better than others tbh - though obviously something else must be causing it. I have tried driving uber sensibly for quite a while when topping up to check the figures and I still only get about 75 miles to £10, if I ragged it the whole time I would get about 70 miles.

Clio 1.4 Fidji
mine is a 1.4 fidji (carb instead of spi) not an rt and with decat etc i still get around 95 - 100 miles per 10er driving normal, and about 85ish driving it hard, my old rt got a bit less but not much

Mines not the greatest but again its on over 90k think i can get about 250 out of a tank with a mix of driving have got over 300 on a long motorway run though!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
donsrno1 said:
Nyphur & Remedi - It's not just about how you drive though, it just seems some RT's are better than others tbh - though obviously something else must be causing it. I have tried driving uber sensibly for quite a while when topping up to check the figures and I still only get about 75 miles to £10, if I ragged it the whole time I would get about 70 miles.

exactly, wen i rag it i get 200-210 if i drive it like a pussy i only get an extra 20-30 miles

Are you guys sure your cars dont need a serious service? I used to get 350 miles out of my 1.6 8v ragging at every opportuinty and when i wasnt ragging it i was stuck in traffic. Wouldnt have thought the mileage would make them less economical, jsut the lack of a good service, oil filter, fuel filter ect probably all need changing. I know my fiesta was like this, when I bought it I got 400 miles from a tank, 18 months later after a lot of abuse i was seeing only 300 miles to the tank, oil and all filters service later and i was seeing 400 miles a tank again.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
2 b honest mine hasnt been services dince b4 i bought it so it is actually due 1 i think, what should i change?

Fiesta ST
theduckeatspork said:
Are you guys sure your cars dont need a serious service? I used to get 350 miles out of my 1.6 8v ragging at every opportuinty and when i wasnt ragging it i was stuck in traffic. Wouldnt have thought the mileage would make them less economical, jsut the lack of a good service, oil filter, fuel filter ect probably all need changing. I know my fiesta was like this, when I bought it I got 400 miles from a tank, 18 months later after a lot of abuse i was seeing only 300 miles to the tank, oil and all filters service later and i was seeing 400 miles a tank again.

That's what I thought about mine, "ah probably needs a good service" but it's had most things done. Fuel Filter, Oil Change, Spark Plugs, HT leads, new Panel Filter, checked tyre pressure (28 front / 32 rear). :S Just been out today and she has 1/4 tank left and I've done ~230miles. Meh! What can ya do!! :D

I'll quickly just say that I've bought some Motual 300v (the dogs b*llocks) oil, new filter, and some engine flush, as well as some Wynn's top end treatment so I'm hoping this will improve the situation for me. I was going to drop the sump (to remove all the sludge) but Renault wanted £21 for a new gasket but didn't even have them in stock, so won't be doing that this time.

D

dick

if im on a jourey on motorway not in a rush, like i went to glasgow ad back steady 60mph all the way there and back sat behind lorries most of the way, 480miles and then i filled up, 1.2 all the way.