ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tape keeps changing direction when cold

The standard Renault cassette head unit in my Mk1 172 is rather troublesome when its cold inside the car. If I attempt to play a cassette it just keeps flipping direction back and forth, back and forth. Its fine on warmer days, or when the temperature inside the car has warmed up a bit, though.

Is this a common problem with these head units, does anyone know?

If it isnt I may try to pick up a cheap identical (but working) unit second-hand. (Im not really bothered about upgrading, by the way, as I dont listen to music in the car that much - just the odd taped radio show and the CD changer or iPod-plus-iTrip for longer journeys.)

Ford Fiesta

never heard of that problem never used to do it with mine, tried a tape cleaning kit?

Ive run a tape cleaner on it, not that there was any point, though, because the problem presumably lies with the spool mechanisms. I guess theyre a bit stiff so are assuming that theyve reached the end of the tape when the havent. Hence flip, flip, flip, flip...