ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tax disc positioning

Renault Clio S
Hi all

What are the rules and regulations concerning the position of a tax disc?

I recently bought an aluminium tax disc holder which refuses to stick to my windscreen. Rather than bin it and waste £15, I've applied bluetack (classy stuff) to the back and stuck it to the dash board.

It now lies flat on the dash, instead of flush with the windscreen, but still clearly visible.

Considering the fascist state we live in these days, could I get some stupid fine for this?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
as long it is in the bottom left of the dash and clearly visible then i think it should be fine mate, as long as it is clearly visible you should be all good.

Renault Clio S
as long it is in the bottom left of the dash and clearly visible then i think it should be fine mate, as long as it is clearly visible you should be all good.

Don't you mean bottom right? Or left depending on your position inside or outside of the car I guess :)

190 BHP Willy 2
It has to be on the screen.

I had mine on the dash board and got pulled by the police as one of the road side tax van things couldn't read my disc. Was told it has to be clearly displayed in the bottom left hand corner, on glass.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
It has to be on the screen.

I had mine on the dash board and got pulled by the police as one of the road side tax van things couldn't read my disc. Was told it has to be clearly displayed in the bottom left hand corner, on glass.

The Tax Cameras DONT check for you disc.

The read your number plate and verify on a database if you have tax or not!

They probably just saw yours wasnt visible and pulled you. The cameras work off ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition)

BMW E46 330i Touring
As said, the cameras don't read the disc, but a copper can pull you if they arent able to see the disc in the screen.

My original holder has lost all stickiness after a 'helpful' girlfriend decided to lick it before sticking back on the windscreen - it now just sits on the dash.

I've always been tempted to stick it on the outside of the passenger sun visor, and just fold down when in traffic, etc... then realised there's no point.

Can one of our resident coppers confirm where they are legally supposed to be positioned?

I didn't think there was a legally defined position, but I fully accept I may be wrong...

Hi all

What are the rules and regulations concerning the position of a tax disc?

I recently bought an aluminium tax disc holder which refuses to stick to my windscreen. Rather than bin it and waste £15, I've applied bluetack (classy stuff) to the back and stuck it to the dash board.

It now lies flat on the dash, instead of flush with the windscreen, but still clearly visible.

Considering the fascist state we live in these days, could I get some stupid fine for this?

I'd buy another fitting kit for it tbh. Ebay has them for about £3

White16valver - i'm pretty sure it's the bottom of the windscreen on the nearside of the car & no where else. Even LHD cars have to have them there.

yes as said above the sticky pads fixing kit aren't that expensive .
clean window before applying .

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
the magnetic ones from Halfords for £2.99 are the best, they last well and make for easy tax disc replacing.

Clio 197
My tax disc holder was forever falling off until I cleaned the windscreen with meths (As it suggested on the instructions but I couldn't be bothered), been bang on since.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
its funny you should mention this, because i've had to do exactly the same thing. wonderful invention bluetak

Renault Clio S
Blutak can disguise a multitude of sins. It holds my bonnet down nicely for instance. A liberal sprinkling on the tyres aids grip in the wet too. And forget about claying ... :)

subaru /clio 182 trophy
tax disc must be on the left hand side ,near side of the w/screen at the bottom fixed to the screen this is a construction and use reg /the reasons are for road tax cameras /traffic wardens and police officers looking at your tax details.if your disc is not visable there ,even if its on your dash they can do you for non display geo