ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Team Fortress 2 - what's happened to it?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Spawn killing is something that got me with BFBC2. Its a bit different when you have a solitary sniper sat in a roof of a building pickin you off, but as you say, when you have a tank constantly being repaired just shooting the s**t out of you, well...

I'll have to look at your stats later on. I'm at work at the moment, and anything with "gaming" in it, and the web filter goes bat s**t. Oh, and are those stats for all players? Or is it just for a certain server?

It should be for all players on all servers. Are these yours, btw?

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/malachi

D.

Giulietta 940
Unfortunately the name Malachi was taken, so I had to use another alias... this time it was "EBONiX". I think. I mean, I'm pretty sure... I'll check when I get home in 20 minutes :p

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, I'm http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/ebonix

I didn't realise my KPD was so bad. Then again, I'm usually the one trying to complete objectives, rather than sitting in a hole somewhere camping...

I know what you mean. Tbf, I try and do a balancing act with how I approach objectives. I won't sit back for ages (unless there is a definite recon advantage in doing so) on the map I'm currently playing. But in the same sense, I won't blindly charge in and barely make 15ft towards the objective before I'm killed. Nothing in recent times works better than BC2 with a coordinated attack in Rush Mode, imo. Just simple team texts of "....charge both tanks on taking Point A" - normally gets the alert/English speaking players on your team doing the same. Likewise trying to defend against a coordinated attack. Rather than getting frustrated about it, the opposing team gets my admiration. When you simply can't stop the combined long range, short range, ground vehicle and UAV attack - then the opposing team is definitely gelling well together.

To see this happening is what makes BC2 so rewarding for me and again, why infantry only FPSs are never as popular for me to play.

D.

Giulietta 940
I understand you completely. I usually try and play with my clan, and we work together as a squad. Its just disheartening when you're getting owned, and the rest of your team are sat on a distant island watching s**t go down.

Only rarely does everyone pull their weight and actually contribute. Maybe I play at the wrong times of day/night...

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Think this game is worth the £6.99? or should i wait until it is reduced?

Carl

F82 M4

Carl

rightonguysp1.gif

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Carl

It's worth £7 in my book. However, you might find it a little unsettling at first with the simply ludicrous amount of 'achievements' that are thrown into the game - which currently totals 305. Originally I found the game to be a lot of fun - especially with the epic 'Orange' based maps that resembled something like a TRON landscape. Silly, OTT, but really enjoyable. Pick a class, jump straight in and away you go.

Now though there are perks upon perks, upon a few more add-ons. Rather than add to the game, to me it simply increases the gulf between the players that have and those have-nots. They also haven't fully addressed the heavy & medic combo issue yet either - get four of those good players on the opposing side (two of each class) and they are nigh-on impossible to take out.

A good game, but a bit like The Matrix film. They should have left it with the first release and ignored the other two films. It didn't need all the extra gubbins of two extra films - just like TF2 doesn't need all the additional CODage-based crap. "Woohoo - look, I got the 'You started a game on a Saturday afternoon' achievement"....

D.

It's worth £7 in my book. However, you might find it a little unsettling at first with the simply ludicrous amount of 'achievements' that are thrown into the game - which currently totals 305. Originally I found the game to be a lot of fun - especially with the epic 'Orange' based maps that resembled something like a TRON landscape. Silly, OTT, but really enjoyable. Pick a class, jump straight in and away you go.

Now though there are perks upon perks, upon a few more add-ons. Rather than add to the game, to me it simply increases the gulf between the players that have and those have-nots. They also haven't fully addressed the heavy & medic combo issue yet either - get four of those good players on the opposing side (two of each class) and they are nigh-on impossible to take out.

A good game, but a bit like The Matrix film. They should have left it with the first release and ignored the other two films. It didn't need all the extra gubbins of two extra films - just like TF2 doesn't need all the additional CODage-based crap. "Woohoo - look, I got the 'You started a game on a Saturday afternoon' achievement"....

D.

Personally I think the game is still well balanced as most of the 'perks' you refer to have downsides as well. The problem with public servers is the ridiculous amount of useless spies/snipers who do f**k all for the team.

Giulietta 940
Personally I think the game is still well balanced as most of the 'perks' you refer to have downsides as well. The problem with public servers is the ridiculous amount of useless spies/snipers who do f**k all for the team.

^ This, defo.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Seems fairly common to limit the number of snipers to three per side. While I can understand the reasoning for that, it's seriously flawed when some goon just hogs that class.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
They waited until they ruined the game, then made it free to play. Next stop, CSS?

PMSL. That's opened the flood-gates to make the game even worse. Jesus H. Christ. Now we'll have thousands of people online desperate to get THE latest accessory in the game - as they are several years behind. While doing that, will they actually be playing the game? I doubt it.

Clever, Valve. Then again, maybe not....

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps - I gave this another go for the first time in roughly 18 months the other day to be faced with a completely new front-end.

They still have the got the 'shop for items' horse going on - including one item I noticed costing £11.99 - rofl! Anyways, they have a co-op mode called Mann vs. Machine - which could have been out for 15 months for all I know, but it's a rather fun blast.

Essentially you have to stop a set number of waves of robots coming in from bombing your base. They get increasingly more tougher with each wave and you can buy in-round upgrades with cash you obtain too. It's a formula that's been done hundreds of times before, but there's an appealing simplicity to it. Granted, it's still with it's flaws - but there appears to be a bit more teamwork from the rounds I've played so far.

Give it another go - I think there's only about three-and-a-half people on Earth that don't have it anyway. ;)

D.

F82 M4
Yeah it's been out for a while D. Just come back from LAN last weekend and we had a fair few goes of Man vs Machine. You really do need to split your classes and decide who is going to be who. God damn tanks take ages to kill! Don't play around with the difficulty, we stuck it on the hardest and lost pretty much instantly. :cool:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's been out for a while D. Just come back from LAN last weekend and we had a fair few goes of Man vs Machine. You really do need to split your classes and decide who is going to be who. God damn tanks take ages to kill! Don't play around with the difficulty, we stuck it on the hardest and lost pretty much instantly. :cool:

I think that's the key to it. I like playing as the engi and pyro, but in this, I find I'm much more 'useful' backing up the heavies as a soldier.

It's good fun - had another 30mins on it last night. :)

D.

Nissan 350z
Is there really any point paying £0.49 for a ticket to allow you to earn "premium rewards" in MvM? Is that just their attempt at jewing more money?
I really dislike the direction the game has taken allowing people to essentially treat it like a job and earn an income from trading hats FFS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is there really any point paying £0.49 for a ticket to allow you to earn "premium rewards" in MvM? Is that just their attempt at jewing more money?
I really dislike the direction the game has taken allowing people to essentially treat it like a job and earn an income from trading hats FFS.

I despise it m8. The amount of games on Steam that 'include' TF2 hats, etc is just crazy. I've got some hats etc in my TF2 inventory (whereTF from, I've no idea) - but I would certainly not pay any extra for them. Just silly additions - but people must be buying them!?

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Shows you what happens when you don't read the text fully, eh? :) Only just realised that to play on the official servers and in turn complete the 'missions' - you need to buy a ticket at 59p. Ok, I don't mind that. But the first campaign had 6 missions in it - and to compete in each, you need to pay 59p.

So to complete a small part of this game, dating back to 2007 - you have to pay £3.54? Ok, that's a trivial amount - but really? What about the other campaigns (or Operations as they are called)? Having this charge applied to all of those too?

This is worse than a DLC to me. At least with a DLC, you pay your money and usually, get a good chunk of gameplay bolted on to your core game. I went through the first mission last night for my '59p worth' in about 15mins. As Sargara implies, where does this all lead? Payment for logging on. Payment for changing character. Payment for changing your name? These silly, little pickings of charges don't sit with me well at all. Either ask up front for a decent wedge on a decent update/expansion - or dish it out for free. What next? setting up a Direct Debit just to play a game, FFS?? Subscription models FTMFL.....

D.

Yup they've ruined it by completely monetizing it, and I for one will never play it again.

A lot of games have gone like that, this new "free to play with bullshit micro-transactions" really f***s me off.

And plus pretty much every game now-a-days has DLC released a couple months after release that SHOULD have been in the game in the first place! Never enough content to be called an expansion pack.