ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tell me all about phase 1 clio renaultsport 172's pretty please?!

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Right, I've got a Corsa Sport and well rather than spend cash on that to make it quicker I'm thinking of changing!

Quite like the idea of a Clio 172 phase one around W/X kinda plate... could get one for around 3500 in what seems to be pretty good condition now, but, I know next to nothing about them!

A mate of mine has a phase 2 172 cup and its a lovely car.. ok bit french build quality wise inside but I could deal with that, even though the phase 1 dashes are horrible lol.

But I'm interested in anything I need to know concerning buying one...

- Any problems they're renowned for?
- Mechanical stuff to look for?
- Electrical and interior problems?
- Do they have cambelt problems, head gasket problems or anything???
- How do they wear in general with milage for parts and so on as most are 65k+ in my price bracket

Finally, performance. Obviously the cup 172's are a bit quicker... but by just how much? I think I read something regarding the track being wider and hubs being stronger but in the real world am I likely to notice a difference? It'd just be good to keep up with my mates 172 when we go for our sunday countryside drives :)

I *would* be wanting to lower it around 30mm... probably not on coilovers but generally I hear Eibach springs are top notch. Would these be a good choice on standard shocks or should I just leave it well alone unless I go for coilovers?

Many thanks for any help you can give me. I wanna take this quite seriously now :)

Dave

Last edited:

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
if you spend a little money it could look like this?

kkjj.gif

hkf.gif

DSCF0001.gif

DSCF0012.gif

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Nice, apart from the back lights and wheels lol but I see it's got phase 2 back end.

Styling wise all I'd want is to lower it, exhaust, maybe some turinis in anthracite... bout it really, I don't like chavving motors up too much. Sound system too though. Oh, and colour coded rubbing strips make them look SO much more modern so thats a must.

Just the Clio stood out as a relatively cost effective solution to a bit of poke and sensibleish running costs... hope I got that right lol.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Sounds good to me! They really are a good car. I had a 172 cup, just sold it for a 182. Work with what its got, nice drop, exhaust/ filter is about right imo. Keep the original 15's on the phase 1's too! Cambelt is a biggie @ 5 yrs or 75k ish, make sure its been done along with the AUX belt. They are a cracking motor that'll do 32mpg all day long :) Headgaskets are proper strong, never heard of a failure on here, not like the 60k rubbish on vauxhalls ;)

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
lol I have to admit my corsa has had 5 months of medium to hard driving and it has held up beautifully but i took care in finding a perfect example :)

i was indeedely impressed with my mates fuel consumption in his 172 cup tho! hence looking at the clios myself at the lower price scale... they do seem to be very tempting now.

prob keep the boggo wheels and do them anthracite then, look great lowered and good value tyres!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol I have to admit my corsa has had 5 months of medium to hard driving and it has held up beautifully but i took care in finding a perfect example :)

i was indeedely impressed with my mates fuel consumption in his 172 cup tho! hence looking at the clios myself at the lower price scale... they do seem to be very tempting now.

prob keep the boggo wheels and do them anthracite then, look great lowered and good value tyres!

Yep cheaper tyres, get some goodyear gsd3's for around £35 per corner which is a bargin! The cambelt time can be around £350 upwards, depending on where you take it (yozzasport are in stafford ;) ) Stay away from reanult lol. This could be used as a bargining tool as most will be @ 5yrs on the reg your looking for.........

Golf R/Leon FR
definatley get one fella

best car ive had i get about 36mpg in mine :) and i dont drive it slow ;)
as said make sure its been serviced and had its cambelt/aux belt changed.
Steering wheel always suffers from wear and tear that cant be helped so dont let that put you off, if your lowering stick to eibachs ive got 40mm apex's on mine and they have buggered up my shocks after being on for just over a yr :(

dont worry too much about mileage either as long as its been looked after it will be fine.

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
yeah thats good stuff.. gaz mate thats a gorgeous motor if i show my bud he'll want his lowered!! lol, stop it, i cant force myself to find MORE money for a phase two haha :)

im glad they're actually seeming to be trouble free... are parts relatively cheap for typical wear and tear stuff? i didnt realise yozzasport was so close! bonus.

yeah the steering wheels all seem worn... is it easy to swap wheels or will i have problems with the airbag and pre-tensioners etc?

so tempting :D

V6 230
Good choice mate, I like my little ph-1 and is relatively cheap to run (although never seen much above 30mpg due to relatively short journeys:dapprove:)

Last edited:
  Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
I do love Phase 1s. I like them a lot. At the moment I'm tempted again to look into one. I should have bought Fubar's!

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
some stunning cars you own guys, really impressive :D garf that sits spot on!

love them all :D time to get rid of corsa then, buy a nail and get ready to buy a clio lol :)

ps: whats this ph-quick business all about lol

Golf R/Leon FR
cheers fella

ph-quick is a term thought up by fubar as supposedly the ph1 172 is quicker than the ph2 hence the term ph-quick and ph-slow lol

some of us on here have ph-quick stickers along the sideskirts of our cars like the trophy's hehe

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

Mondeo TDCI 130
http://www.castlegarage.com/index1.htm

search through they have one there!

Your not that far away mate, go and bid them in the gonads for this. its massively overpriced i know! its been there 3-4 years, due for belt etc, prop needs discs and pads all around aswell! take a wad of cash and wave it under there nose! its not a bad example, i had a look around it a bit ago!

172 Ph1
I also had a corsa before i went for my 172, an have been happy ever since!! Though i did not have a corsa sport only a 1.4, so jump was even bigger for me. I know people always say the dash is bad but you soon forget that once your driving it! An besides scoobys an evo's don't really have the best interior do they!

Like its been said make sure you check if the cambelt has been done. Bought mine when it was 5 years old so that was the first thing i changed.

Wish i could comment on the eibachs but mine are still sitting on my living room floor.