ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drive in Cup!!!

evo x rs

Took a cup for a testdrive this morning, and to be quite honest my mk1 172 is loads quicker!!! The difference was much more than I possibly thought. I thought maybe it would be about the same with so little miles on it. But to be honest I was disappointed.

Ok so it only had 2000 miles on it, but would have been ragged from day one, thus running the engine in quickly. Although not to its upmost I know.

Like the bloke who took me for the test, he said I would be mad to swap. Giving up a few creature comforts up for a car that has no difference in my opinion in acceleration etc.

I think the best performance bargin about must be a 2000 W-reg mk1 at about £8500. Also renault have decided not to limit the built on the cup now, cause of demand. Eventually I think well be seeing loads of these about.

mk2 172

nice one chris, i must take one for a spin, id keep the mk1 too if i had one from new that only id abused!

craggy

I am hoping to get a test drive soon, saw one in wickford on sat, colours nice, maybe bit bright? Alloys were nice although looked abit small compared to the mk2s, both 16s but the Renault ones looked bigger?? loved the 172 cup badge on the doors though...wouldnt trade my mk1 in for one though, mk1 is damn quick little beast....

Yeah, I dont see the point in trading it in either. The MK1 in my humble opinion looks the bollox, and goes just as well.

Im rippin the seats out of mine and trackin it though, so it was the logical thing to do(?!). I wouldnt be so keen on ripping the seats out of a "proper" 172, as they are rather nice!

S2000

Theres nothing in it between a Mk1 and a Mk2 speed wise.

My old Mk1 one with some mods and weeeeell run in was damn fast, faster then other 172s and the cup with 2000 miles on it is already as fast. Is your car standard? If it is then there was something wrong with the cup you drove or it is just a lemon.

As I understood it Renault "thought" they had improved the torque and gearing on the Mk2???? At least that is what the salesman tried to tell me! How come a Mk1 will feel faster???

Yeah exactly... even 5th gear is shorter in the mk II so it should feel quicker... plus the throttle body is different giving more torque down low... which would offset the ~20kg increase in weight (as weighed on a weighbridge by members of this site)

Dammit, im sick of Mk1 owners insisting their clios are quicker... not trying to start a fight, but logically with shorter gearing, and a flatter torque curve to make up for the extra weight, the Mk 1 and Mk 11 should be the same. Also when alot of the "MkI is faster than Mk II" business was going on, most Mk IIs hadnt been run in yet.

Thats my bitching session for today... *ahhhh feel alot better now

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

One thing Yogi told me in the pub yesterday was the Clios start to really fly when they have at least 40k on the clock, which I can quite believe cause the old mk 1 golfs GTIs used to be the same.

Quote: Originally posted by JoZeFF on 04 November 2002

Yeah exactly... even 5th gear is shorter in the mk II so it should feel quicker... plus the throttle body is different giving more torque down low... which would offset the ~20kg increase in weight (as weighed on a weighbridge by members of this site)

Dammit, im sick of Mk1 owners insisting their clios are quicker... not trying to start a fight, but logically with shorter gearing, and a flatter torque curve to make up for the extra weight, the Mk 1 and Mk 11 should be the same. Also when alot of the "MkI is faster than Mk II" business was going on, most Mk IIs hadnt been run in yet.

Thats my bitching session for today... *ahhhh feel alot better now
before you get too over-excited about this - me - questioning why a Mk1 would feel faster - drives a MK1 - if you read the post up above, someone else who used to drive a MK1 and now drives a Cup is also saying that they are about the same - apart from his particular MK1 (which anyone who knows it will admit it was sooooo much faster for some reason).

Most Mk1s havent been run in yet, never mind the Mk2s - a tecky friend of mine said that they havent reached "optimum performance" until after their 36k service - mine has now done 33 - so nearly there!!!! looking forward to that !!

Are you for reals??

So when car companies release the 0-60 figures, do they actually test their cars run in? or do they do an estimate?

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

LOL @ Danny.

Most run in 172s came get a 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds so I dont know where Reanult get 7.2 from ?

Jozeff - Kris is actually Kis mate ;)

Astra 1.9cdti XP

A MK2 172 has a smoother torque curve which means a smoother powers delivery throughout a wider rev range whereas the mk1 had a very sharp curve meaning that you got more of a kick in the back when max torque was reached making the car feel quicker the unknowing driver.

perhaps the Captain could confirm that I am right cos I aint sure!

geordie, that sounds bang on! my cups accelleration feels so much smoother than my old valver! in fact at first i thought hold on my valver seemed quicker! that was until i had a go with my mates fiesta rs-turbo, which i had troubles keepin up with b4, now i nail him, and thats durin the wearing in period!!!!! (which im now out of thank god!)
so it may feel not as quick, but the smooth accell is deceivin!!!!!!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Mk 1 and Cup will both seem faster than a Mk2 for 1 simple reason - theyre noisier. The Mk2 172 is loaded with soudproofing - even the windscreen is meant to reduce noise. When I fitted my Magnex it seemed like the car had gained about 30bhp - just because it sounded like a faster car..

Its all neither here nor there coz the Cup looks loads nicer than a mark 1, and probably shifts loads better!

Just wait for the track days and you mark 1 boys will be pleading for a Cup!

mk2 172

must say a yellow mk1 with clour coded strips looks the fukin dogs, any mk1 one does, so does a mk2 with different wheels, ie cup, how much better does a wheel change make it. i saw a mk2 with mk one wheels and is was well nice. all IMHO of course

320d M Sport

yes, of course Mr Cragg.;)

"Willy is best, Willy is best, Willt is best............" (Mumbles Craggy underneath breath....);)

Paddy

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by abbs_172 on 04 November 2002

Its all neither here nor there coz the Cup looks loads nicer than a mark 1, and probably shifts loads better!

Just wait for the track days and you mark 1 boys will be pleading for a Cup!
LOL! Sorry only kidding.. you coming to Donington Park Thursday then abbs?

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 04 November 2002

" got to find a garage with one first though!"

PAddy
Theres one at Lookers Southend. It has been sitting right on the front of their forecourt on show for the past 5 weeks now.

Quote: Originally posted by JoZeFF on 04 November 2002

Are you for reals??

So when car companies release the 0-60 figures, do they actually test their cars run in? or do they do an estimate?
is who/what for reals???

Quote: Originally posted by Craggy on 04 November 2002

must say a yellow mk1 with clour coded strips looks the fukin dogs, any mk1 one does, so does a mk2 with different wheels, ie cup, how much better does a wheel change make it. i saw a mk2 with mk one wheels and is was well nice. all IMHO of course

Craggy - so when is the Willy booked in for a change of colour then???? Must say it would be an "exclusive" eh??? Willy in Sunflower Yellow - might even be tempted meself!!!! :cool: