ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drove the clio200 today - My thoughts

How far away from the truth can you get?

Didn't get sat nav with mine and it will out handle a 197 ummmm maybe just a little out but hey.

Paul[/quote]
I can't see much of a difference to be honest between a 197 cup and 200 cup (except the front nose and rear end) in terms of handling. It seems that both handle pretty damn fine by the sounds of it. The 200 seems a bit of a waste of time as a new model. Don't get me wrong, I wish you all the best with the new car and glad you are happy with it. I do think renault should have let the 197 continue for another few years and then released a much more significant update.

I will be looking to trade my 197 in the next couple of years...would I trade my r27 for the current 200? Answer has to be 'no'. It seens to me that the 200 doesn't really do a whole lot different than the 197...except IMO, the 197 looks a lot better. However, if in the next two years Renault release another update to the 200 then I might consider it.

Health to enjoy the new car by the way.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Didn't get sat nav with mine and it will out handle a 197 ummmm maybe just a little out but hey.

Paul
I can't see much of a difference to be honest between a 197 cup and 200 cup (except the front nose and rear end) in terms of handling. It seems that both handle pretty damn fine by the sounds of it. The 200 seems a bit of a waste of time as a new model. Don't get me wrong, I wish you all the best with the new car and glad you are happy with it. I do think renault should have let the 197 continue for another few years and then released a much more significant update.

I will be looking to trade my 197 in the next couple of years...would I trade my r27 for the current 200? Answer has to be 'no'. It seens to me that the 200 doesn't really do a whole lot different than the 197...except IMO, the 197 looks a lot better. However, if in the next two years Renault release another update to the 200 then I might consider it.

Health to enjoy the new car by the way.

Its all about constant adjusting/fettling. The Cup dampers are new with some double valve set up, that keeps its reasonable supple when pootling about, but then stiffens up the suspension when pressing on, so thats a good thing, rack on the cup is quicker too. Imo though, its not the handling thats been a probelm with the 197, its the slight lack of low down grunt?

GTD, Lupo
197gaz I'm starting to get the impression you are a little bitter over the whole 200 thing. Don't try to let it bother you too much. Things have to change and they normally change for the better. Give it a couple of years and you might be able to pick one up a little cheaper thenim sure it will be a different story and the you will be complaining about the next Clio released. End of the day it's a car try not to lose any sleep over it.

Paul

Paul, what did you have before the 200cup? 172 / 182 / 197 or something completely different? Would be interested to know what you think the comparisons, similarities and differences between the models are. I'm all for evolution and progress...I just think there was more life in the 197 before the 200 and that Renault really should have made a more significant effort in the update. (suppose this might be starting to get a bit off topic).

In fairness, don't think 197gaz is bitter, sure he has pointed out some of the good things on the new 200 and one problem with the 197. Can't say I've noticed a problem with low down grunt mind you...but I did recently get the control unit replaced in my car with a new software update i think. to me, the car feels pretty rapid from about 2k upwards.

just interested to know what you think or has this been mentioned in another thread.

GTD, Lupo
up untill now I have always been a vw person. Had a mk3 golf gti followed by a mk2 16v gti which I still have. Same story with the golfs really, people with old ones normally disliked the new ones. As for clios, I have driven 182s and I have 2 friends with them. Done 2 of the Renault experience day things in the 197 and megs. So I would say I know the cars. I'm not saying the 197 is bad I'm just saying the 200 is better.

Paul

up untill now I have always been a vw person. Had a mk3 golf gti followed by a mk2 16v gti which I still have. Same story with the golfs really, people with old ones normally disliked the new ones. As for clios, I have driven 182s and I have 2 friends with them. Done 2 of the Renault experience day things in the 197 and megs. So I would say I know the cars. I'm not saying the 197 is bad I'm just saying the 200 is better.

Paul
fair enough...everyone will have different, but probably valid opinions. I would have liked to have seen more power in the new model as opposed to just 3bhp. Can't understand why renault didn't give more power to go with the handling. Suppose then they might be venturing into megane rs territory.

Hope your enjoying the new car anyway and once you get it run in I'm sure you will be even more impressed. Still fugly lol ;)

LY R26
197gaz I'm starting to get the impression you are a little bitter over the whole 200 thing. Don't try to let it bother you too much. Things have to change and they normally change for the better. Give it a couple of years and you might be able to pick one up a little cheaper thenim sure it will be a different story and the you will be complaining about the next Clio released. End of the day it's a car try not to lose any sleep over it.

Paul

how about his car will always look better than yours? :cool:

Porsche Boxster987S
dnp , i stated in my first post im sure(?) that i own a 182 just now. I have only experienced a r27 as a passenger

dnp , i stated in my first post im sure(?) that i own a 182 just now. I have only experienced a r27 as a passenger
sorry paul b...lol...was directing question to other paul (gorm). Had a 182 myself for four years...nice wee car

Tav

Clio 197
fair enough...everyone will have different, but probably valid opinions. I would have liked to have seen more power in the new model as opposed to just 3bhp. Can't understand why renault didn't give more power to go with the handling. Suppose then they might be venturing into megane rs territory.

Hope your enjoying the new car anyway and once you get it run in I'm sure you will be even more impressed. Still fugly lol ;)

It's a balance between power, economy and driveability...they aren't going to get a significant increase in power unless they a) put in a bigger engine (not going to happen) b) put in a turbo charged engine (entirely possible) or c) adopt new technology like direct injection...even if they do move to forced induction I can't see the Clio ever have more than 200bhp, that's Megane territory. I can only see power levels staying the same with improved efficiency in future.

GTD, Lupo
how about his car will always look better than yours? :cool:

Yawn... To be fair I do like the 197 but it looks a LITTLE to much like the standard Clio. Think the 200 is RS attempt to make the clio rs a new model instead of just a spec, and to be fair I think the max power for the Clio is reached otherwise it would be in the megan region.

As for the future I only intend to keep the 200 untill the 2012 model comes out. Would never buy a second hand Clio but I do like 182 but just don't like French car reliability issue.

Paul

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
Yawn... To be fair I do like the 197 but it looks a LITTLE to much like the standard Clio. Think the 200 is RS attempt to make the clio rs a new model instead of just a spec, and to be fair I think the max power for the Clio is reached otherwise it would be in the megan region.

As for the future I only intend to keep the 200 untill the 2012 model comes out. Would never buy a second hand Clio but I do like 182 but just don't like French car reliability issue.

Paul

they colud of atlease made it look nice

renault really dropped a bollock with front end

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Paul

WTF?!!

Where did i say i was bitter etc? I mentioned Renaultsport are constantly fettling/evolving the range, which imo is a good thing?! I like the 200 :S?

Its all about constant adjusting/fettling. The Cup dampers are new with some double valve set up, that keeps its reasonable supple when pootling about, but then stiffens up the suspension when pressing on, so thats a good thing, rack on the cup is quicker too. Imo though, its not the handling thats been a probelm with the 197, its the slight lack of low down grunt?

You want to watch you dont fall off that high horse?

Last edited:
  C63 AMG
Public sector borrowing is at a worrying proportion of GDP. And petrol prices are starting to take the piss.

Moreover if I had a cat I would probably not call it Rex; the name is not feline enough.