ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

testing internet speed

had a new line put in by bt yesterday as old line could only handle 0.5mb, was told new line would be 4mb, not up to but would be 4mb, just tested it and its 0.7mb, on phone to them well on hold 30mins and ongoing, what sites do you use to test your line?

None are reallly that accurate..

speedtest.net
thinkbroadband.com

... are probably about the best.. but.. just downloading files from a number of souces is a better judge.

I thought it takes about a week for you to get the most out of a new connection due to them testing what they can get reliably.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Who told you you " would " get 4mb . Most providers have the get out clause of " up to " . I very much doubt any isp will guarantee a connection speed You on BT broadband ?? If your only getting 0.7mb thats appalling . I'd be one unhappy bunny too .

Who told you you " would " get 4mb . Most providers have the get out clause of " up to " . I very much doubt any isp will guarantee a connection speed You on BT broadband ?? If your only getting 0.7mb thats appalling . I'd be one unhappy bunny too .

bt advised from running tests it would be 4mb, wasnt paying £135 to get same s**t speed, just off phone to them and after telling me i wasnt a bt customer for 10 minutes they have advised line is in optimisation period so to call back in 10 days, on the old line it was the up to 8mb chat i got but when i asked what line could handle they confirmed up to 0.5mb!!! will see what the next 10 days holds, using a bt black homehub and currently on a wireless laptop connection, plugged it in via eithernet and it runs the same as wireless

When I ordered my broadband and my phone line from bt they said they did a test on the line and told me it was 5.2mb, I just done 3 seperate tests from 3 different sites and they all say around about 3mb!!

Was I being lied to?

When I ordered my broadband and my phone line from bt they said they did a test on the line and told me it was 5.2mb, I just done 3 seperate tests from 3 different sites and they all say around about 3mb!!

Was I being lied to?

use bt's own speedtest site do a search on google and see what it says

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Was I being lied to?

Not necessarily lied to more like economical with the truth . I had bt years ago and they were a bag o' shite then , i wouldn't trust them one bit .

You might be told yes sir , you will get 4mb , 8mb etc ....by a customer service advisor over the phone , but you try and prove it when you realise your not getting the speeds they said you would .

Tesla MP3 2021
Forget speed tests as they are not accurate.

Just get the stats for your line via the BT Homehub and that will tell you exactly what your line sync speed is.

There is a page within the router GUI that displays the line stats. Click the link below.

http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0.

Alternatively, click the link below:

http://192.168.1.254

Click on Broadband Connection on the left of the main screen,choose DSL Connection and finally choose Details at the top right of the page.

172 Cup
Forget speed tests as they are not accurate.

Just get the stats for your line via the BT Homehub and that will tell you exactly what your line sync speed is.

There is a page within the router GUI that displays the line stats. Click the link below.

http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0.

Alternatively, click the link below:

http://192.168.1.254

Click on Broadband Connection on the left of the main screen,choose DSL Connection and finally choose Details at the top right of the page.

That IP applies to the Bebox but it'll mean nothing to another router.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2

Don't think thats a very good one, did three tests on that and got lower results each time...

download upload
1. 5101 375
2. 2644 370
3 1624 373

Using a Netgear router

......or perhaps its not that its not very good....but more that you may have an issue!!! Its perfect on my connection, and results are always within 1000kb of each other and thats on a 20meg line!!! ;)