ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

That 5k kick!

White clique
heres a graph showing a bog standard 197 - and the "kick" at 5-ish thousand RPM is visible, although i am not going to claim it sets my pants on fire or anything..

P1000249.gif

A Flamin' Red one
agree with realnumber_1... it is my first more powerful car and it defo seems to kick at 5k.. it goes like s**t off a shovel until 7k..

when I first got it, I was so nice to it, I used to change at 5.5k.. fearing it may do it some damage and blow it...

now, she gets ripped right around til the shift light.. it's just too much fun and the worst thing is, at night on my way home, I am starting to do this more and more.

becoming a proper fuel guzzler.

especially with the noise the simota makes.. it is just so tempting to put my toe down. lol

I can blow so much fuel so quick like this, but still am left grinning ear and ear lol every time

Kindred spirits my son! Simota and a heavy foot FTW!

I also couldn't agree more with your comment on realnumber_1s comment.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
vtec aint all that savage

Well you have never driven a real type r then! The ep3's v-tec is very subtle, but still has a very noticable engage at 5800rpm, when it hits v-tec it has 197 bhp instead of 140bhp!!

The ek9 and dc2 has a kick up the arse affect when it hit's v-tec.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Dunno, I just notice that it starts to feel a lot more urgent as soon as it hits 4k, several people have noticed it in my car too =D

I find mine starts to change noticeably around 4k then really kicks in at 5k.
Lol at the people saying there is no kick in the 1*2's. That might be the case if your used to driving/going in bigger more powerful turbo cars and the like. But if the Clio is your first experience of a powerful car then there is definitely a kick at 5k.

I agree. Mine starts pulling harder at 4k then really gets going at 5k.

It's not a flatspot to me, it's a change for the better, and it's become more noticable with every kg removed.

vtec aint all that savage

Well you have never driven a real type r then! The ep3's v-tec is very subtle, but still has a very noticable engage at 5800rpm, when it hits v-tec it has 197 bhp instead of 140bhp!!

The ek9 and dc2 has a kick up the arse affect when it hit's v-tec.

correct mate. i own an ep3 and have driven an ek9 and v-tec is all that:)
plus the noise when you buy an induction kit worth the 19mpg i get in vtec:) :) . im selling my ep3 to get a 172 cup. How do you rate the cup to the ep3??? you have a pm

i didn't quite understand that bit about the VTEC power-hike - does the engine really leap from producing 140bhp to 197bhp at the instant VTEC kicks in (yo); or is it the difference in peak power afforded by the VTEC system? (even then, 140bhp is v poor from a modern 2 litre non-VVT 16v engine). how does it work, then? :)))

or is it 140bhp (pre-VTEC - 5800rpm) and 197bhp (peak power - 19000rpm)?

182FF
i didn't quite understand that bit about the VTEC power-hike - does the engine really leap from producing 140bhp to 197bhp at the instant VTEC kicks in (yo); or is it the difference in peak power afforded by the VTEC system? (even then, 140bhp is v poor from a modern 2 litre non-VVT 16v engine). how does it work, then? :)))

Very Basic but they have 2 cam profiles; one for low revs and one for high revs. The ECU then switches between them

Wikipedia has quite a good article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

Last edited:
  Silver 182
Since fitting a decat and a New Ktec Panel Filter the 5000rpm Humph has softened a little and seems less in your face....which i miss in a way, but i dont if you get me, as the car is a lot more responsive throughout now and seems to pull a lot harder than when the 5k boost was about.

Strange to be honest.

a turbo'd yellow car
Since fitting a decat and a New Ktec Panel Filter the 5000rpm Humph has softened a little and seems less in your face....which i miss in a way, but i dont if you get me, as the car is a lot more responsive throughout now and seems to pull a lot harder than when the 5k boost was about.

Strange to be honest.

very true mate!

my yozza with decat! and viper have took the 5k kick away! and gave me tork tork tork!! :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Very Basic but they have 2 cam profiles; one for low revs and one for high revs. The ECU then switches between them

Ish.

In simple terms, the cam has an extra lobe per cylinder. The ECU determines the crossover point, a pin controlled by hydraulics/solenoids locks the rocker into the VTEC position, allowing the intake valve to stay open longer. The pin then retracts when the car is below the crossover.

Like this...

[youtube]AcT_ZyY3F0k[/youtube]

Renaultsport Clio 197
my 197 starts to kick from 3500/4000 rpm...but it's not a "kick in the back", it's like an rs6 is towing my car lol :D

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Its a myth, the 5k kick actually relates to the trade in price and the plummeting residuals!

Ace.

5k kick is a funny term, 172s are hardly fast cars. Sure they're nippy little things but on the scale of performance orientated cars, they're pretty close to the bottom imo.

Shed.
I love it when people describe the 1.2 16v having a little kick at circa 3k lol. Theyre so full of s**t. Its probably the engine trying not to die of exhaustion.

BMW M135i
I love it when people describe the 1.2 16v having a little kick at circa 3k lol. Theyre so full of s**t. Its probably the engine trying not to die of exhaustion.
It does but its only noticable flooring it in first, just where the engine works a little better due to cam profile and being a 16v lump.

well lusty has a distinctive kick at 4k in every gear. Noise changes, and you get a nice surge.

You probs wouldn't notice it in a standard car, but mine has a £500 exhaust and a £200 air filter.

Elise S1 B&C 140

well lusty has a distinctive kick at 4k in every gear. Noise changes, and you get a nice surge.

You probs wouldn't notice it in a standard car, but mine has a £500 exhaust and a £200 air filter.

and £1000 of bodykit making it weigh roughly the same as a hummer

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

When did you get the 2.0 conversion?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Lusty Strikes again... £500 exhaust System? More like a Crappy Bolt on onto a Std Exhaust no doubt

Mk2 172
No it's not. the VVT on a clio cuts in at about 1200 RPM (very low whatever the actual amount is) the 5k kick is just the car coming "on cam" basically just the part of the rev range where the engine produces most punch.

Nothing to do with that. Its fuelling and the fact that you done get full throttle till 5k whether your foot is flat to the floor or not!! Thats why theres such a big difference. I absolutely hate the 5k kick tbh. Best thing about having the bodies fitted :)

Last edited:

Ish.

In simple terms, the cam has an extra lobe per cylinder. The ECU determines the crossover point, a pin controlled by hydraulics/solenoids locks the rocker into the VTEC position, allowing the intake valve to stay open longer. The pin then retracts when the car is below the crossover.

Like this...

[youtube]AcT_ZyY3F0k[/youtube]

thanks, too

i was trying to get my head around the numbers quoted and was surprised at the inferrence that the change in cam profile gives an instant 30% power increase. isn't 197bhp peak power, though? i'm still confusing myself:S