ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 200's replacement. R53 Auto project thread

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Not quite a direct replacement but it is the next hot hatch I bought after I sold the 200 in 2012. I would have had another 200 but the costs were prohibitive. Here it is, a 2005 MCSa and ine of the first MCS imported into ROK. It has 108k km which is very high for its age. MINI's are still quite rare here so people still take an interest.

It seems all Korean MINIs are highly specced with the following as standard.
1. Chilli pack equiv
2. Heated leather seats
3. Folding mirrors
4. Panoramic sunroof
5. 6 speed auto Aisin box
6. MSFW

I think it was driven quite hard by its previous owners since the box holds revs for quite a while.

Work done so far:
1. Serpentine belt, pulleys and tensioner replaced. (It snapped on the first day 5mins from home lol)
2. Auto box oil changed. The old oil was burnt and no use anymore, this caused the box to slam gears and slip.
3. Remove stripes and the blue things on the door. Also removed the rear Cooper S badge because it wasn't in the correct place.
4. Front window tints removed. They were the same tints as the rears which made it a challenge to see at night.

Planned work:
1. Ipod and bluetooth intergration
2. Rear quarter repaint
3. Detail
4. Wheels refurb
5. Black box installation
6. Supercharger oil change when front end comes off for work
7. Change wiper arms for post 07/12 flat blade arms

I'm planning on taking it to Japan in jan and driving from Shinmoseki to Hokkaido. It'll have a map where I can get people to sign as I travel and hopefully the same when it goes back to Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Just a few pics from our outing in the country side yesterday.

photo1_zpsec89568b.jpg

photo2_zps93a67ecc.jpg

photo3_zps2c9225a7.jpg

Wow, didn't see many MINIs around when I was over there at all.
Nice choice and a lot more interesting than the usual Mornings and Avantes around the place.
The drive in Japan sounds fantastic as well.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Wow, didn't see many MINIs around when I was over there at all.
Nice choice and a lot more interesting than the usual Mornings and Avantes around the place.
The drive in Japan sounds fantastic as well.

You did live in the land of Hyundai though. Lol The worst is there only like 10 places outside of Seoul and Busan that would touch it hence the lack of imports. I'm still trying to find the ferry, will have to put union jacks all over it so the japs don't think I'm korean and start hating. Lol

The auto box isn't bad. It's slower than a manual but for driving in Seoul it's a good compromise, I would prefer if each paddle just up shift or downshift.

Very true, right in the land of Hyundai in fact!
Union Jacks would be a good idea too.

I'm pretty jealous that you're in Seoul by the way.
Currently back in the UK finishing my PGCE, working stupidly hard and at this point I can honestly say I should have kept teaching in Korea instead!

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Very true, right in the land of Hyundai in fact!
Union Jacks would be a good idea too.

I'm pretty jealous that you're in Seoul by the way.
Currently back in the UK finishing my PGCE, working stupidly hard and at this point I can honestly say I should have kept teaching in Korea instead!

Don't be jealous, Seoul is a pay cut and savings have dwindled due to all the food and clothes (also women is expensive).
Im sure the PGCE will be worth it when you are earning $$$ around the world.

The he suspension is too low for my liking. Trouble is parts are expensive, I can save $400 buying wheel bearings from the US compared to here. :(

The blue bits are to make sure retards don't fling their doors open and dent someone else's.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
The car was keyed last week in Seoul and thus insurance is paying to respray it. They pretty much went around the whole car and BMW have quoted $10k to do the work which insurance have agreed to.

It it also has front and rear facing camera fitted with motion sensors and auto record in the events of a crash. I also have to wire in a electronic toll pass machine so I don't have to stop to pay.

Im also loving the auto box for city driving. It was also a god send yesterday being stuck in a 80km jam on the freeway.