ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The aftermath (dropped valve pics)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
that is some scary s**t! now im nervus to drive mine..! Does anyone have any idea yet as to how many cars this has happened on?!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
P.S - From you pictures it looks like the value has been broken/snapped and not just fallen - surely that would indicate a timing problem? also if it just broke, how would 1 piece values help?

Well since I've had it the engine has run faultlessly and the belts were done 8k ago, so if the timing was incorrect I'm pretty sure it would have let go a lot sooner. If you look closely on the picture '3' of the 2 valve stems , the one on the right you can see at the bottom of valve stem there is a slight colour change that's where the 2 piece valves are friction welded together. Having one piece valves would eliminate that weak spot.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Oh yeah I can see what you mean! its like the perfect setup for a horror story..! Are the majority of valves (in all cars) made in this way?

Highly unlikely, I don't know why they didn't use one piece.

Anyone know if the Ph1 172's have 2 piece or 1 piece?

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
The machining marks on the inlet like porting on your pics is this the same on all sport heads or just certain models

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
Mine has the same marks on the inlet ports as if it was ported, but not all inlets I've seen have been the same

HBT 172 Cup
I dropped 2 exhaust valve heads on cylinder one, engine was a wreck as expected. Although they were not original OE valves (they were pattern parts)

New engines in and running like a dream. Apart from now It's failed it's MOT , 2 cracked front springs, could have been much worse though.

HBT 172 Cup
:cool: Spot the spark plug...

DSC01225.jpg