ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The best driving game of all time. **Contains Memories**

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
I've just remember more racing games I used to play:

* Jaguar XJ220, Indy Heat, Super Skidmarks 2 on the Amiga
* Max Power Racing (as in the magazine) on PS One
* South Park Racing (PS One version of Mario Kart)

C

Cupster

they need to remake this for the sexbox!

[youtube]YcpKOFptqzw[/youtube]

Lol, the tears I have lost to laughter over the roadrash series. Holds bat above head while creeping up on 1st place - t**t! - looooooolz

Win!

1.8 Civic EX
Stunt Race FX on the SNES...belive it was like one of the first 3d games about the same time as segas virua racer...

had about 5 ghey cars in it with little faces on like the Cars film lol

1997 Clio 1.2 8v Paris
Driver 2 - amazing game!

[youtube]igiwZqlQvjY[/youtube]

Destruction Derby & Destruction Derby 2 - best games ever!

[youtube]E5m-LOKklOo[/youtube]

[youtube]dcbSTswdgRQ[/youtube]

Can't believe Carmageddon hasn't been mentioned.

Used to spend hours/days/weeks on this game at my mates house :cool:

[youtube]MyrYDSwD_gk[/youtube]

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
god taking me back marky. i was in the cerbera, the LM one with the green and silver livery if you remember it, was like ten years ago now mind!

micro machines was another good un.

Fzero... just for the music and the blue falcon!!!
Skills, wrestling one of those beasts round without dropping it!

I used to pretty much just roll in my GTO twin turbo. No power limits on race meeting was ace :cool:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I used to keep doing the race on the oval track in the escudo pikes peak, turbo race or something like that!

Clio 182 cup'd
For me, PGR4 is the best racer of all time...

If you take out the current generation of racers, I'd go with Daytona USA (arcade), then Gran Turismo, andthen Sega Rally,

Go back another generation, then you have Lotus Turbo Challenge, Outrun and Jaguar XJ220. All awesome!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftS95bDcfNw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftS95bDcfNw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbPz3ebMaqU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbPz3ebMaqU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

...but still addicted to GT4
Is street racer the one in the karts where you had weapons and stuff?

And I have to say PGR4 is my fave! Cars are gorgeous and the game is just fun.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Pole position was amazing at the time.

I remember hours on this though. Pitstop on the C64
[youtube]9Di9Jpl-Pn0[/youtube]

Black 172 PH2
The best racing game of all time will differ from person to person.
Technically todays racers such as FM3 and PGR4 (GT not out yet...) are probably the best in reality.

For me though its the memories that come with the racers i grew up playing.
Such as:

Sega Rally...EASY LEFT...EASY RIGHT, VERY LONG MEDIUM RIGHT MAYBE!!! LOL
[YOUTUBE]rk9IrR0EHPk[/YOUTUBE]

Out Run and Battle Out Run on the Master System
[YOUTUBE]V-LQrFUdTAQ[/YOUTUBE]

Sega Touring Cars: Arcade was brilliant, sadly the Saturn conversion was poor.
[YOUTUBE]wPlh5Gva0Z8[/YOUTUBE]

Daytona USA: In Arcade, poor saturn conversion and a great Dreamcast conversion :) ROOOOOLLING START!!
[YOUTUBE]0EkAVmBVmVE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

GTi Club: Arcade
Scud Race: Arcade
Metropolis street racer: Dreamcast

This post is larger than i intended as i started remembering more games lol

PS for all the OutRun fans...
[YOUTUBE]uarAYVMgNvE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
Days of Thunder on the spectrum!!!!

Also remember a Motorcross type game on the spectrum but can't find out what it was called :(

^^^I had a flashback to a motorbike game on my Spectrum at the weekend. It was called Kickstart iirc.

Was this the one you were thinking of?

Nippy white cup
I remember when I 1st saw this....amazed by the graphics and sounds + the mouse control allowing analogue controls

[YOUTUBE]BkqFOwqca4A[/YOUTUBE]

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
OH DEAR LORD.

Sega Rally. Millions spent on getting high scores in arcades. THE driving game of the arcades.

VaVa
Ok so it's a bike... but it's still racing and is my earliest memory. Was a built-in game on the Sega Master System and I spent hours on it when I was a bout 7 or 8 lol

[YOUTUBE]7S-_EAzNRng[/YOUTUBE]

Goliath I
Probably the first '3D' racing game where you go anywhere I played...

[youtube]gszQKv84wbE[/youtube]

Loved this, many hours wasted painting cars...

[youtube]lGxPwMH7rn0[/youtube]

Awesome....
[youtube]RfKYwpyn4lI[/youtube]

When retro got good: Virtua Racing [Arcade]
Best simulator: GTR2 [PC]
Best overall: Forza Motorsport 3 [x360]

There are a million retro racers but they were only awesome in the day because that's all we had. Fact.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oh this thread brings a tear to my eye... happy days... :D

A few of my faves if I may (*not* including loads that have already been posted):

Pole Position (Atari 2600 cartridge) - my first ever proper(!) race game when I was a few years old...

[youtube]bptk_q1Jqts[/youtube]

A few years on and I got Revs on the BBC Micro. It was not an easy game to play...

[YOUTUBE]JBEVnr71mno[/YOUTUBE]

One of my all-time faves - Ferrari 355 Challenge on Dreamcast...

[YOUTUBE]ZUpeI73aPAs[/YOUTUBE]

Crazy Taxi 2 and 3 (shameless ego-boost as I was fortunate enough to work on these two titles)...

[YOUTUBE]rjIO7MszQK4[/YOUTUBE]

Great thread! :cool:

BMW E92/Audi S3
The tanks on ToCA were awesome! I knew a glitch with the tank! Shoot at the starting lines. Rstart the game and BOOM!!

DMS

A thirsty 172
I used to love Micro Machines V3 on the PS1. That was amazingly addictive.

[YOUTUBE]5NGUbHit9W0[/YOUTUBE]

182 Full of Fat
oh my god.....the stunt racer vid :cool:
Think that was the 1st ever game I played on the Amiga 500 along with "The Simpsons Bart vs Space Mutants"

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Oh this thread brings a tear to my eye... happy days... :D

A few years on and I got Revs on the BBC Micro. It was not an easy game to play...

[youtube]JBEVnr71mno[/youtube]

Great thread! :cool:

I remember my m8 having Revs on his BBC and being jealous as hell! At one point he clipped the apex and the car lifted slightly on that side. It's taken for granted these days, but back then, this was realism! :)

Another one I liked was Racing Destruction Set, back on the C64....

racing_destruction_set_01.gif

racing_destruction_set_03.gif

It was crippled with bugs, meaning that maybe 1 in every 10 loads, it would work. It came on two tapes..... took around 15mins to load one race (after you had spent 5mins getting to the main screen above). But - it did have split screen - meaning you could race a m8 and it had loads of bonkers options like Moon gravity, land mines and oil slicks.

When I managed to get a Commodore 1541-II disk drive a few years later, I tried desperately to hunt down a copy on disk...... but to no avail. :( In the days before Amazon, eBay, Play and a thousand other online sellers, trying to find a game you were after meant either phoning shops or racking up a fair few miles on the bus to visit them in person!

D.