ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The best Renault Sport Clio of the decade!

The best Renault Sport Clio of the decade!

• 172 ph1

Votes: 78 12.7%
  • 172 ph2

Votes: 38 6.2%
  • 172 ph2 cup

Votes: 82 13.4%
  • 182 (with and without cup packs)

Votes: 78 12.7%
  • 182 trophy

Votes: 133 21.7%
  • V6 mk1

Votes: 10 1.6%
  • V6 mk2

Votes: 96 15.7%
  • 197 (with and without cup packs)

Votes: 25 4.1%
  • 197 r27

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • 200 (with and without cup packs)

Votes: 37 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  Honda & VW
Can only be out of 4 for me as i've only ever either owned or driven the following:

Ph1
172 Cup

my winner personally it defo the Ph1 - feels the most aggresive which i like although having said that 2 of the above aren't/weren't standard so my vote probably doesn't count lol

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Vee should be discounted because it's twice the price.

Ph1 vs 172 Cup vs Trophy vs 200.
Hate to disagree, but 200/197 are equally as much as many vee's? Can pick up ph1 for 182/trophy money.

And why not vote for what you have, you brought it for some reason.
I voted for the vee, obviously a biased view, but i have had a 172, 197 cup and vee, all good cars, but the 172 and 197 i got bored with after a couple of months, the vee just keeps me more interested, and as i am no lewis hamilton i doubt the vee's lesser cornering ability makes that much difference, although saying that its easier to press a 197 cup, and requires less talent, hence the reason the only clio i have owned has kept me on edge and made me put more thought into pressing on is the vee.

I've voted for 182 Trophy because I own a 197 Clio and have (had) big quality issues, and I think that's not the case with 172/182 models, and from what have I heard/read - Clio 182 Trophy is a fast fckr. :D

Titanium 182
I voted ph2 vee but I should have voted 182 or trophy. In fact I think I prefer the R27 to all the others. They're all so similar it's hard to choose.

197 cup. Somedays i hate it, somedays i love it. But where ever i drive it, people look at it likes its from another planet lol.

LY V6 with Recaros
V6 mk 2 for me. Rare, mental and I love it even if I am biased!

Not driven all of the cars, but a fair few. Also loved the 200 to drive but overall it's gotta be the vee!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think we have 1/5 of all Trophy drivers on this forum or 85 people and counting with V6 mk2's. I think the thread is just a bit of fun.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
it should be:

172 cup

182 trophy

v6 mk2

R27

those should be the options.

I don't think we have 1/5 of all Trophy drivers on this forum or 85 people and counting with V6 mk2's. I think the thread is just a bit of fun.

The Trophy has a great rep. No arguing that. The Vee will always be popular with the chavs.

I'm talking about the fact that apparently a 182 is a better Renaultsport than an R27. Apart from the Trophy and Vee, the poll just indicates what people own. IMO.

Similar to this. Although the Clio II driving position is less sporty than this.

valkarth_1101919666_renault_radiance___10.jpg

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Well I think this is where compromise sets in and what you want from a car. I do 10-12k miles a year and to me a small hot hatch with really a fairly small engine, such as the 2.0 should do everything. I honestly think the R27 and 200's fuel consumption is unacceptable. To get low thirties on the motorway and round town twenties is very poor. If I wanted or could afford a hatch which would do that mpg and cost that amount of money I'd immediatley be thinking of a R26 rather than the Clio. Which is why for me it's not the car people think it is. Sure it handles well, maybe brilliantly but as a package the 182 Trophy or even 182 with Cup packs does that job better. It depends on what & how people rate the car. If it's simply handaling then prehaps the R27 or 200 would be up there. If it's a real life every day test would or could you choose it over the others? Hmmm I'm not so sure. The R27 and 200 would force me to look outside its class and other cars.

Last edited:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
but no offence, we should have made the title of the thread the most practical RS of the decade?

It is about the best RS of the decade and i am afraid, the standard 182 ain't that. trophy, possibly, but still very much debatable.

It should have been "which is the ugliest most fucked up styling job of the decade?"

The 200 would be streets ahead.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
This is the point. What's best depends on your paramaters. Is something the best because it does one thing better than its rivals? This is what will make the thread more interesting. So you're taking it to mean the best car is the one which can post one single lap quicker than the others?

Without any consideration for running costs I'd probably say the V6 mk2 is the best. But to be the best I think you have to look at each aspect of a car and come to some sort of weighted decision. I mean yes, some areas are far more important than others but I don't think that fits into what's practical.

Well Ph2 172/172Cup/182/Trophy are all the same in those factors.

Yet the 172 Cup and Trophy are far superior to the others.

Nobody here is voting for the 182/172Ph2 because they think it's the best, they're voting because that's what they own.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Well Ph2 172/172Cup/182/Trophy are all the same in those factors.

Yet the 172 Cup and Trophy are far superior to the others.

Nobody here is voting for the 182/172Ph2 because they think it's the best, they're voting because that's what they own.

Maybe they prefer the color options or the xenon lights, seats etc of the 172/182 over the trophy and cup?

VaVa
Exactly. Depemds what you look for in a car tbh.

Has to be the 172 Cup I think. Was the first of it's type (a new model with things taken off!) and a brave move by Renault imho. And they built a f**king cracking little car. And it just so happened that, at the time, you couldn't buy a quciker car for less money brand new.

Not only was it brilliant, it was also a bargain.

I wish the poll was public (damn n00b mods ;)) and then we could ridicule people for picking the wrong options! Lol.

A ANIMAL
I wish the poll was public (damn n00b mods ;)) and then we could ridicule people for picking the wrong options! Lol.

Lol - agreed

Seriously though, theres nothing on a "standard" 1*2 chassis that a trophy/172 cup wont do as well, and will give you more. The other options for th 1*2 range are irrelivant imo.