ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Chris Harris thread

Lose even more hair??

At the risk of appearing to suck Harris' penis. I feel I have to agree with him 100%

I enjoyed the one I drove, but it felt dynamically limp wristed, and never felt like it would reward a committed driver.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I thought about an MX5 before I got the 182. When I drove an old Mk1 1.8, I remember weaving when moving at speed to get a feel for the chassis, and it felt really wallowy. The Clio isn't solid but it definitely feels less wallowy. I guess that's just a result of not having a solid roof. Was fun though, but it was too slow to convince me from getting a 182 anyway!

Should get you lot wet.

I have to say, I do agree with a lot of what he's said.

As standard, they are far too wallowy, you do sit too high, the gear ratios are crap (a 6 speed 'box from the MK2 and a different diff will sort that), the 1.8 engine in that car isn't as fun as the 1.6 despite being a bit more powerful, the steering is very quick - which I love - but it's not full of feel. I've driven a non power steering model and it did feel a lot better, but the rack is nowhere near as quick - so you have to compromise somewhere. The brakes are pretty crap as standard too.
All that can be changed though - so they make brilliant projects and you can have an amazing car to drive at the end of it. I'd never keep one as standard.

I will say though, that for under £1000 you cannot match the reliability, build quality and enjoyment you can get from one. I've never smiled or laughed to myself in a car before owning an MX5, and I do regularly now (perhaps because of the 'exhaust' though).

Disastra Coupe
He's got a lot of valid points but then it's down to personal preference. The only other car i've enjoyed owning as much as the MX5 was my Saxo VTR.

All my Clio's bored me, even the 172 to a degree. The Mazda just has a nice character imo.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I suppose he's an educated cs member who can probably spell and his opinions are honest.

I like his views.

Suzuki Jimny
LOL he's on the same road again, one I frequently slide my mx5 around. I want to touch him.

Swift Sport
Shame he didn't discuss alternatives to the MX-5 more, although I will be taking a closer look at 205 Gti's. I can't imagine an old Peugeot being reliable though.

Disastra Coupe
Shame he didn't discuss alternatives to the MX-5 more, although I will be taking a closer look at 205 Gti's. I can't imagine an old Peugeot being reliable though.

It won't be, for certain lol. I can honestly say my Mazda is more reliable than any french car i've owned... And i will always have a soft spot for french hatches so it's not like i just argue against them.

Swift Sport
I think all Mr Harris was trying to say is that the MX-5 isn't as amazing as many people claim, which is fair enough. My Type-R gets plenty of good reviews and remains one of the best hot hatches ever made... It has also sold by the bucket load, but in my opinion the driving experience is rather dull and clinical. I like Chris's videos and I'm always keen to hear his opinions, but it doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't buy a car he doesn't like or vice versa. People get caught up in Internet stardom.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I think he gets it right at the end.

MX-5 = greatest ever thing evarrrrr = wrong.
MX-5 = great fun for £2k = spot on.

Nice to see him driving the same model as me though :D

They basically remapped an audi v6? s**t engine and awful to do cambelts on.

Just an expensive rep mobile.

Its got a 928/968 look imo

1. It's chain not belt driven.
2. Even if you were buying one would you give a toss how awkward to belt change was or be attempting to do it yourself in the driveway?
3. Go drive one and make an educated evaluation of one as a car/drive rather than going by cosmetics and incorrect assumptions about the power plant. ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Two words that definitely dont go together too........Diesel and performance.

Serious?

jyvegusu.jpg

Last night, Chris Harris was my best mate. After letting me have a go in his 599, he then decided we should swap cars for keeps. Because that's the kind of bloke he is.

Waking up was the worst bit.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
That shooting break is lovely.Great combo of family space and full opposite lock at your disposal...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
looks great inside, great under the hood, great from the front,
but from the side and the back, god its f'ugly - it looks like its been left in the rain and its got a saggy bottom....

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
looks great inside, great under the hood, great from the front,
but from the side and the back, god its f'ugly - it looks like its been left in the rain and its got a saggy bottom....

what an excellent description - I must say I agree 100%

172 Race Car
Just the title and picture ln that vid shows its gonna be good. Will save that for later with headphones :approve:

Not a 320d
I love how they bring that thing out the garage every so often and give the thing a good rinsing. Its as old as I am, and they still want to give it some exercise.

Wonder how long itll last.

An orange one
That noise!!!!!!

I have an old VHS somewhere called "in car 962" and it's this car at le mans doing 240+ down the old mulsanne straight

Gonna dig it back out now!