ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'Cup' leg-end

Astra SRI/ Hornet
This is rubbish as they were out-selling the 172's when they were released. They were cheaper too, which was another added bonus. They were never slated for making it a drivers' car.

Then ya actually need to read some past reviews as nearly all the mags said good car but the civic type r can do the same with all the luxuries. Tiff needel had no time for it at all. Yeah they did outsell 172s but thats comparing those 2 cars not the whole hot hatch market.

53 Clio's & counting
But the point of my thread was just about comparing the Clio's :S

I wonder if we took a poll of random people, if the cup would be seen as the fastest/best/ etc? lol

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I was making my arguement against his point not the thread. Lol I know the the 172 cup inside out I had 1 for 2 years.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Would be interested to see which is the fastest of the 1*2's (drag, track and road). I'm sure some one can tell me. I am meaning standard out of the factory, just run in.

ps. i got a cup cos i heard it was the fastest car ever, was going to get something sensible like a TVR but they seemed to slow and boring! ;)

53 Clio's & counting
as always there are too many variables,i mean look at how much matched inlets make a difference, just btween that the models can vary 5-10 bhp lol

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I was comparing to other Clios. Never mentioned any other makes.

Yeah then you went on to say the press loved it but in actual fact when on comparison tests they favoured other cars. Just wanted to clarify, the 4 stars for 172 cup in evo magazine and the 5 stats for 182 cup says volumes I think.

MCS R56
Yeah then you went on to say the press loved it but in actual fact when on comparison tests they favoured other cars. Just wanted to clarify, the 4 stars for 172 cup in evo magazine and the 5 stats for 182 cup says volumes I think.

I did not mention the press or that they loved it.

Well my Ibiza Cupra TDi got four and a half stars from Evo, so it really means nowt.:rasp:

53 Clio's & counting
I think that means Evo thinks the 182 cup is better 'every day' than a 172 cup, i wonder if things like this come up on other forums, the old VTS/GTi aregument for example, i bet it happens on scooby forums, i mean there are 200000000000000 different types of Scooby lol

Then again iv still never heard of such a precise model as the Cup that is held in such high regard over the other Clio models, when,in fact, as well all knoww there isnt a huge mount of difference

Then again iv still never heard of such a precise model as the Cup that is held in such high regard over the other Clio models, when,in fact, as well all knoww there isnt a huge mount of difference

When I needed a new car, I looked at the 172s as they were cheap and looked like a little nippy hatch.

I scanned the net, found a clio in a nice blue, saw it was a cup. I then thought I want a clio in that colour, read more into the cup and then decided I wanted the rawer car.

None of my friends who are into cars knew anything about them. IMO they should have a bit more 'cup' displayed over than a small badge on the doors.

The williams is obvious from a distance, the blue and gold, with the large stickers stand out.

I bet even if we asked 18 year old girls what a williams clio looked like they would describe it as that.

If I mentioned a clio cup, I expect they would think I meant I was sad and bought a mug for work displaying my clio.

53 Clio's & counting
When I needed a new car, I looked at the 172s as they were cheap and looked like a little nippy hatch.

I scanned the net, found a clio in a nice blue, saw it was a cup. I then thought I want a clio in that colour, read more into the cup and then decided I wanted the rawer car.

None of my friends who are into cars knew anything about them. IMO they should have a bit more 'cup' displayed over than a small badge on the doors.

The williams is obvious from a distance, the blue and gold, with the large stickers stand out.

I bet even if we asked 18 year old girls what a williams clio looked like they would describe it as that.

If I mentioned a clio cup, I expect they would think I meant I was sad and bought a mug for work displaying my clio.

lol so true there mate!

182 Cup is the runt of the RenaultSport litter.

There was no need for it. Lost a few bits for no gain other than price. Just a parts bin special TBH.

Tav

Clio 197
i think he means the idea behind the 172 cu was as much weight loss at possible, -89kgs, where the 182 cup only had a few things taken off, and only dropped the weight -20kgs

though the cup has the better suspension, so that is a good thing

Only 20kgs...but if you happened to be a little porky that might be another 30kgs...suddenly thats a 50kg saving and another 10bhp for me.

The 182 Cup might not be as stripped out as it could be...but then ABS is actually handy if you aren't feeling like Lewis Hamilton, A/C is great on a country road blat when it's 22degrees outside, equal length drive shafts improve traction/ride, Michelin PE2's on a 16" rim are the perfect road tyre...and for some leather looks gay/sticks to you when it's hot/is cold in the winter...digital climate control can never make it's mind up what it's doing and rain sensing wipers are actually the most pointless invention evarrrrr and why do I want rear head rests when no one is back there?

I think the 182 Cup should have had the Speedlines fitted but then that would have gone against the cost cutting nature of the car. More bang for less buck = win win. If you were buying the cars new for the drive/handling then it made much more sense buying the cheaper model.

Mine even made 179bhp on a rolling road that was producing book figures for 95% of the cars that went on that day.

182 Cup...not the runt of the litter, just the best overall compromise between cost, handling and power. Take the trophy out of the equation and it's the best looking Clio 1*2 as well...splitter and spoiler + racing blue ftw.

53 Clio's & counting
But what about all the other bits its got that could have been saved? it could have had a non reflective front screen, less sound deadening etc etc.

Yes i see your point about the weight thing, but then if a porky chap drives a cup, and a light girl drives a ph1, then the ph1 will be lighter than the cup, its all relevent.

Though only in my opinion i cannot see the point of the 182 cup, it simply would have been better to stick the cup options onto a normal 182, i just dont think it was worth splitting the model for simply a suspension change, the ethos (sp) of the cup was always light weight, and the 182 cup doesn't give you that.

Tav

Clio 197
But it's already loud and unrefined. The front screen weight saving would be so minimal...pointless. When it comes to windows you'd save more going poly round the back.

It wouldn't have been better stick cup packs on a 182 because some people don't want all the gizmo's and leather etc. Regardless of the weight saving I don't want them there. 20kg is 20kg...you try lifting a box that heavy, it's not particularly light. Now swing that box round your head at 85mph for 20seconds then try and bring it to a stop in 5 seconds...ooops your arms just fell off!

The point is they could have lost more weight...but because they had their sensible hats on they decided A/C and ABS were worth keeping.

No engine cover...bonus...the engine cover looks rubbish.

It's the same concept with the 197 and 200...not radically lighter...but less crap you don't need and a smaller price in the window. Win win.

MCS R56
But it's already loud and unrefined. The front screen weight saving would be so minimal...pointless. When it comes to windows you'd save more going poly round the back.

It wouldn't have been better stick cup packs on a 182 because some people don't want all the gizmo's and leather etc. Regardless of the weight saving I don't want them there. 20kg is 20kg...you try lifting a box that heavy, it's not particularly light. Now swing that box round your head at 85mph for 20seconds then try and bring it to a stop in 5 seconds...ooops your arms just fell off!

The point is they could have lost more weight...but because they had their sensible hats on they decided A/C and ABS were worth keeping.

It's the same concept with the 197 and 200...not radically lighter...but less crap you don't need and a smaller price in the window. Win win.

Whatever. It's still not a proper Cup!

Tav

Clio 197
It says it is on the badge...unless gaz44 is in charge of deciding what is/isn't a Cup. Do Renault have a direct line to your house to ask?

MCS R56
It says it is on the badge...unless gaz44 is in charge of deciding what is/isn't a Cup. Do Renault have a direct line to your house to ask?

They had a surplus of proper Cup badges left over from the proper Cup sales. They modified them and stuck them on for a laugh so that people like you thought you were buying a better Clio. Fail.

53 Clio's & counting

I can see what your saying matey, but i still dont think it makes it a cup, the cup has always been about lightness, lack of equipment to improve the driving experience, imo i dont think there should have been a 182 cup, i think it simply should have been the 182 with any option you wanted, that way if you didn't want leather,or climate then you didn't tick the box.

i think the 182 cup was more a marketing ploy, going off the sucsess of the 172 cup, 'here is the cup you wanted with all the extras' type thing
all in my own opinion though, no offence intended

MCS R56
I can see what your saying matey, but i still dont think it makes it a cup, the cup has always been about lightness, lack of equipment to improve the driving experience, imo i dont think there should have been a 182 cup, i think it simply should have been the 182 with any option you wanted, that way if you didn't want leather,or climate then you didn't tick the box.

i think the 182 cup was more a marketing ploy, going off the sucsess of the 172 cup, 'here is the cup you wanted with all the extras' type thing
all in my own opinion though, no offence intended

I agree. It was quite brave of Renault to make the Cup, along with the V6 and now the R26.R.

Clio 172 RS2
20 kg?
I ride around without the full spare, only a half filled petrol tank, no engine cover, no engine sump cover...

Equalized! ! ! Cup what???

I'd rather have a Trophy.
Better suspension... that's all the Clio RS needed.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
To the average person, just the word 'Cup' makes any Renault instantly better.

Only us Renault geeks on here know better ;)

Tav

Clio 197
They had a surplus of proper Cup badges left over from the proper Cup sales. They modified them and stuck them on for a laugh so that people like you thought you were buying a better Clio. Fail.

No mate I bought a cheaper Clio...all the performance, less to go wrong and more money in my back pocket to run it. Win. A 182 with twice the mileage was almost £1k more expensive, reason a lone to buy the Cup.

When I get an S/S exhaust to replace the s**t Renault fitted that'll be a little more weight saved without even trying.

20 kg?
I ride around without the full spare, only a half filled petrol tank, no engine cover, no engine sump cover...

Equalized! ! ! Cup what???

I'd rather have a Trophy.
Better suspension... that's all the Clio RS needed.

Is a half filled petrol tank a modification? It's cool like stripping!?!? I'm off to take a photo of my light weight petrol gauge reading, never more than 1/4 of a tank...I'll pwn all those 172 Cups...just you wait and see!

You could run around with no head, you'd still be in a 172 non-cup ph2...the actual runt of the Clio sport litter. Less power, s**t wheels, no weight saving and bland as fook. If they are all as quick as each other might as well have one that looks half decent and attracts some admiring glances.

Last edited:
  Astra SRI/ Hornet
No mate I bought a cheaper Clio...all the performance, less to go wrong and more money in my back pocket to run it. Win. A 182 with twice the mileage was almost £1k more expensive, reason a lone to buy the Cup.

When I get an S/S exhaust to replace the s**t Renault fitted that'll be a little more weight saved without even trying.

Is a half filled petrol tank a modification? It's cool like stripping!?!? I'm off to take a photo of my light weight petrol gauge reading, never more than 1/4 of a tank...I'll pwn all those 172 Cups...just you wait and see!

You could run around with no head, you'd still be in a 172 non-cup ph2...the actual runt of the Clio sport litter. Less power, s**t wheels, no weight saving and bland as fook. If they are all as quick as each other might as well have one that looks half decent and attracts some admiring glances.

Amen sister.