ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'Cup' leg-end

'53 172 Cup
Then ya actually need to read some past reviews as nearly all the mags said good car but the civic type r can do the same with all the luxuries. Tiff needel had no time for it at all. Yeah they did outsell 172s but thats comparing those 2 cars not the whole hot hatch market.

Yeah then you went on to say the press loved it but in actual fact when on comparison tests they favoured other cars. Just wanted to clarify, the 4 stars for 172 cup in evo magazine and the 5 stats for 182 cup says volumes I think.

I think you'll find EVO kinda liked it actually...

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/31670/renault_sport_clio_cup.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/41321/renault_sport_clio_cup.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/car...s_rs_v_clio_cup_v_cooper_s_v_impreza_wrx.html

Enjoy... I do... !!

Tav

Clio 197
The 182 Cup owners defensiveness says it all imo. Are you justifying your car to us or yourselfs?

You lot who miss the point and some how think it's the worst of the lot, when in fact it's the perfect Clio...cheap + fun. It's not trying to be anything else.

I'd honestly not buy a 172 cup solely on the fact it's got unequal length drive shafts. Set of Turini's is a bit easier to fit than a 2 piece drive shaft. Oh and the increased castor angle...how people don't notice this when they drive the cars. More castor = always better!

Any way all this talk of lightness/driver orientated design is pointless...if you really wanted that then you'd have a DC2 Integra. Honestly can't pick a fault with that car.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cardata/?cat=hot_hatches&page=2&sort=id&order=asc

The remarks pretty much sum up the range...

Feel free to red the 182 + 182 Cup review's which are also favourable. £1295 cheaper when new it states...£1300 basically...that's almost a 10% saving on the price of a 182. When buying new that would have made the 182 Cup even more appealing to me.

It would appear the Clip 172 Cup is 'only' 70kg lighter than the 182 Cup. Power to weight is 168 vs. 171 but then the 172 is prob. less likely to make it's stated out put so it's prob. even closer in reality. Not going to say either is faster...but you can see why people would think the 172 Cup is quicker...

Last edited:
  Astra SRI/ Hornet

I never said they didn't like it. Now go to the knowledge section and look at the minus point on the 172 cup. You'll find I'm spot on. Enjoy your wrongness.

MCS R56
You lot who miss the point and some how think it's the worst of the lot, when in fact it's the perfect Clio...cheap + fun. It's not trying to be anything else.

I'd honestly not buy a 172 cup solely on the fact it's got unequal length drive shafts. Set of Turini's is a bit easier to fit than a 2 piece drive shaft. Oh and the increased castor angle...how people don't notice this when they drive the cars. More castor = always better!

Any way all this talk of lightness/driver orientated design is pointless...if you really wanted that then you'd have a DC2 Integra. Honestly can't pick a fault with that car.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cardata/?cat=hot_hatches&page=2&sort=id&order=asc

The remarks pretty much sum up the range...

Feel free to red the 182 + 182 Cup review's which are also favourable. £1295 cheaper when new it states...£1300 basically...that's almost a 10% saving on the price of a 182. When buying new that would have made the 182 Cup even more appealing to me.

It would appear the Clip 172 Cup is 'only' 70kg lighter than the 182 Cup. Power to weight is 168 vs. 171 but then the 172 is prob. less likely to make it's stated out put so it's prob. even closer in reality. Not going to say either is faster...but you can see why people would think the 172 Cup is quicker...

You are right, there ain't much between them performance wise. 182 is not going to make it's power either.

Tav

Clio 197
Mine made 179bhp just fine, on a set of rollers that gave book figures (or as near as) for all cars tested that day. Integra's were -2-3bhp, VR6 Golf's made +2-6bhp (with S/S exhausts), import Impreza Type R + P1 came in on the money too.

53 Clio's & counting
"It would appear the Clip 172 Cup is 'only' 70kg lighter than the 182 Cup. Power to weight is 168 vs. 171 but then the 172 is prob. less likely to make it's stated out put so it's prob. even closer in reality. Not going to say either is faster...but you can see why people would think the 172 Cup is quicker..."

I think your comment sums it up quite well, why people must get the idea why the cups are so much the better car to have, il lay a bet that half of them couldn't tell what a cup looks like though lol

'53 172 Cup
Don't get me wrong here... I'm not a cup owner who is out there to say it's faster or better than any other 1*2... I like mine and it was available to me at a steal of a price which is why I bought it and I don't mind the missing features so am more than happy with it as I'm sure I would have been with any other 1*2!!

I would argue that 80kg difference is fairly significant as is the turinis making for less unsprung weight but tbh until i've driven every derivative as stock I'll with-hold judgement and simply say I like mine a lot and am happy to be part of the CS massive!!

We shouldn't be infighting like this but celebrating how much fun it is to woop all kinds of cars that think they're above us... !!

MCS R56
Mine made 179bhp just fine, on a set of rollers that gave book figures (or as near as) for all cars tested that day. Integra's were -2-3bhp, VR6 Golf's made +2-6bhp (with S/S exhausts), import Impreza Type R + P1 came in on the money too.

You must have a special one then.

This is off topic, we're talking about the 172 Cup legend.:rasp:

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I agree they are awesome cars, the only way to have more fun is to involve naked ladies. In 2 years of ownership I never had a single problem unlike todays 197s seem to have and I absolutely cained it. Rip ye52 tnx. But my new 182 has improvements over it, I'll leave it at that.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Ya mean mine. Erm don't know exactly what happend but it flipped about 4 or 5 times into a field, I woke up in hospital and can't remember anything.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Yeah couldn't handle it 2 years is like 5 minutes really. Lol think summit fell off cos of the flimsy light weight build quality ; ).

Mini Cooper S sport
Wow, Cliosport is more magic than I thought. I appear to have clicked on a topic and found myself back in 2005.

Wow, Cliosport is more magic than I thought. I appear to have clicked on a topic and found myself back in 2005.

Shaaat iiit. It's always fun to go with the flow. Especially when the same old bait0rz are out in force. The great thing is that all 1*2s are s**t cars. Cloth chairs or otherwise.

Mini Cooper S sport
Shaaat iiit. It's always fun to go with the flow. Especially when the same old bait0rz are out in force. The great thing is that all 1*2s are s**t cars. Cloth chairs or otherwise.

Pah, four years ago you thought your bucket of bolts was the best thing on the road. I'm almost tempted to do a search, your posts were poetry!

Wanna get a Delorean and Fuck?

Sure, why not? I like capital F f*cking.

Pah, four years ago you thought your bucket of bolts was the best thing on the road. I'm almost tempted to do a search, your posts were poetry!

People have done similar before. It's boring, and they get ripped apart, which isn't good for them. Times change. People get older and their impressions change. That's part of growing up. It is indeed great fun. If it wasn't I wouldn't still own it. However, it is a bag of nails, and I will stand by all past and present opinions. Go right ahead if you want your efforts debunked.

Dodgy one
I also got the same when some Chavs collared me outside of KFC and i had a forsale sticker in my old 6, They asked me what i was getting next i said 182, which one? Trophy.

Nah should get a 172 cup, I was like WTF Nobs

Claimed their mate had a 6 in the same colour as mine and it was proper fast, Has induction exhaust and a remap running 200bhp, I saw it a few weeks later its an XSi with some gash wheels lol

Mini Cooper S sport
People have done similar before. It's boring, and they get ripped apart, which isn't good for them. Times change. People get older and their impressions change. That's part of growing up. It is indeed great fun. If it wasn't I wouldn't still own it. However, it is a bag of nails, and I will stand by all past and present opinions. Go right ahead if you want your efforts debunked.

Are you suggesting you'd rip me apart if I posted an old comment of yours? I love it when you get all serious :eek: