ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The cup

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Things happened.

IMG_20211215_150808138.jpg
IMG_20211215_143253938.jpg
IMG_20211215_150710441.jpg

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
I've seen a couple of posts of this in happening recently. I wonder if it's due to the solid engine mount. I run one as well so thinking of changing to the pure Motorsport upper engine mount as it replaces that casting as well.

Where abouts in the Midlands? I think I have a spare here if you're stranded.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've seen a couple of posts of this in happening recently. I wonder if it's due to the solid engine mount. I run one as well so thinking of changing to the pure Motorsport upper engine mount as it replaces that casting as well.

Many years ago, on my original Ph1, I had a crack in my mount. I thought it was normal. 😂

@Christopher duly educated me however.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
@Luke_Exc - see if any 24h petrol stations (or similar) have those little ratchet straps for suitcases. I have been known to use one of those on a gearbox mount before. We only moved it around the yard but if you’re gentle it may do the trick to get you home.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Piece of box section from the strut brace to the back of the broken mount seems to have it held fairly steady. Not looking forward to the drive home later

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1

Just outside Stafford.

The evol comes with an insert that spreads the load, tbh the quality of PMS stuff lately has been shite.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I reckon thats failed due to the wrong nut fitted which has crushed into the mount when tightnened up. Oem usually have a massive washer under the nut to spread the load when torqued, but the problem is im sure its a different thread to the vibratechnics mount. I fitted a large heavy duty washer under the nut when fitting mine and had no issues.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I also did the above. Evol engineering provide square thick washers with their engine mounts now after I recommended it being an issue with the vibra/ktec ones.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
I reckon thats failed due to the wrong nut fitted which has crushed into the mount when tightnened up. Oem usually have a massive washer under the nut to spread the load when torqued, but the problem is im sure its a different thread to the vibratechnics mount. I fitted a large heavy duty washer under the nut when fitting mine and had no issues.

Totally agree with that. Going to make a washer when I fit a new piece.

As said above, the Evol is a better design.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Realised I hadn't documented one of my favourite touches.

Badge was removed front the backing piece backing sanded right down on the belt sander cleaned up and refitted.

Gotta do what you gotta do for airflow!

(Yes that's my key, was waiting for autoglass)

IMG_20220118_103642371_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220118_103651264.jpg

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
how are you finding the tyres? im thinking of getting a set to replace my rainsports as i only use the car when its dry anyway.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
I really like them.

They're a bit scrubby at times because they're very square in profile.

Seem to get more road surface feedback though the steering wheel and the car feels more stable.

Very grippy indeed, much better in the wet than the internet would have you believe too of you do get caught in the rain.