ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The day I've been waiting for. Possible HL3 announcement...

F82 M4
Although, they have lots of games that could be a third. Left 4 Dead 3, TF3, HL3, Episode 3, Portal 3. So it's all speculation at the moment.

Monaro VXR
Probably be like the Orange box, Vavle do the PC version make sure it is perfect.

Then give it to some chump to port it and ruin it.

Revels Mum & Sister
I really really hope not. Gabe hates consoles, I think he'll be the guy who finally stands up and tells all console users to GTFO.

I believe what you have said is wrong and would be called Commercial Suicide. Game Studios can no longer afford to do this.

I'd love HL3 to be released, but fear it may suck.

Me too. HL1 was superb. HL2 is probably in the top 5 games ever made (IMO obviously). However the world has moved on. How's it gonna feel going back to Gordons linear, source engined world now we've had the likes of Skyrim to play with? Just give us Episode 3 to conclude the saga and call it a day IMO. Unless they're prepared to do something epic for HL3...

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
They better not let us all down with this like they did with the CS: Source update. If I wanted to play TF2, I'd buy TF2, now give me back my source engined game.

Serious note though, HL series are EPIC!

Monaro VXR
Thing is would they stick to the Source engine?

Chances are if they do it is going to be hugely modified. I mean it is basically a massively modified version of GoldSrc, which is a heavily modified Quake 1 engine. Which is why there is still quake 1 code in HL2. I would like to see a new engine from them though, something which means we can explore more. Without having loading screens every few minutes.

They better not let us all down with this like they did with the CS: Source update. If I wanted to play TF2, I'd buy TF2, now give me back my source engined game.

Serious note though, HL series are EPIC!

To be fair I have only heard good things about CS:GO. Looking forward to trying it out.

I believe what you have said is wrong and would be called Commercial Suicide. Game Studios can no longer afford to do this.

Actually I'm not so sure in this case. They can be sure of selling at least one trillion copies over Steam alone, and they're not your average developer in terms of budget. It is conceivable that they will pay maximum attention to the PC version. Normally I'd say you were right, but with Valve and Half-Life 3, I think this could turn the tables a little bit. I suppose it all depends on which console platform it would be released on. The older outdated machines, or the 'next gen' slightly less out of date ones.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
They will really, really, REALLY have to pull out all the stops on this one. PC gamers will be as giddy on release day as having a winning ticket for a Playboy Slut-Wh0re coach-load of breast enhanced girlies - willing to perform in a week-long orgy of sexual deviant destruction on them.

By that - they will be looking forward to it.

And it better be good. If it's only 99.8% perfect - it will get flamed.

D.

I bloody hope there's a console version or at least a mac friendly variant up on steam for my new iMac when it lands. As much as I love HL I'm not going and buying a new platform to play it on.

Integra Type-R DC2
I bloody hope there's a console version or at least a mac friendly variant up on steam for my new iMac when it lands. As much as I love HL I'm not going and buying a new platform to play it on.

This. Lets be fair, they would be daft not to exploit the huge console market.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
They will really, really, REALLY have to pull out all the stops on this one. PC gamers will be as giddy on release day as having a winning ticket for a Playboy Slut-Wh0re coach-load of breast enhanced girlies - willing to perform in a week-long orgy of sexual deviant destruction on them.

By that - they will be looking forward to it.

And it better be good. If it's only 99.8% perfect - it will get flamed.

D.

LOL!

Spot on :rasp:

This. Lets be fair, they would be daft not to exploit the huge console market.

Hardly. Valve know what they're doing.

The Orange box, for the most part was a failure (Wasn't it? I cannot remember!!).

Anyone who played HL in the past, and wants to continue the story will have done so on a PC, so people who now want to play it on a console are just idiots.

Lol, spoken with colossal arrogance.

I tired of PC gaming years ago, I appreciate that consoles don't have the power a current PC does and cannot produce the same level of detail, FPS, lighting but at the same time not all of us can be arsed with the high investment in the hardware and seemingly never ending upgrading that the gaming rig geeks do.

The orange box IMO was perfectly acceptable and unless you'd already played it on some uberspec PC it's fair to say people like myself still got a huge amount of enjoyment out of it.

Left for dead games and more recently portal 2 have been sold in console form so I've no reason to think Valve would cut off another opportunity to generate some revenue from a title just to keep the elitists happy.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, spoken with colossal arrogance.

I tired of PC gaming years ago, I appreciate that consoles don't have the power a current PC does and cannot produce the same level of detail, FPS, lighting but at the same time not all of us can be arsed with the high investment in the hardware and seemingly never ending upgrading that the gaming rig geeks do.

The orange box IMO was perfectly acceptable and unless you'd already played it on some uberspec PC it's fair to say people like myself still got a huge amount of enjoyment out of it.

Really?

It's not that. You know it isn't about the 'power' factor that PC's have over the current generation of consoles. (Somewhat related, but not directly).

Valve has never been about extreme gaming rigs, and needing the best hardware in order to play their games. I cannot recall one Valve game that has required a significant upgrade in order to play a specific title.

Ref the Orange Box, I was not saying it wasn't perfectly acceptable, you got the wrong end of the stick with that. I am in no doubt it supplied console gamers with many happy hours. I was saying that they didn't exactly sell like hot cakes did they?

I was under the impression that the Orange Box, when released on console didn't do very well at all. I'm probably wrong, it's just something that sprung to mind.

F82 M4
The Orange Box did very well Nickson, sold quite a few units (mainly PC however). I think your referring to the PS3's port issues? Gabe slated Sony saying that it was hard work getting it to be compatable with the PS3 and really upset Sony. He appologised at the next E3 when they announced Portal 2 and with Steam Cloud he said that the PS3's version of Portal 2 would be the best out of the consoles.

Evo 5 RS
Lol, spoken with colossal arrogance.I tired of PC gaming years ago, I appreciate that consoles don't have the power a current PC does and cannot produce the same level of detail, FPS, lighting but at the same time not all of us can be arsed with the high investment in the hardware and seemingly never ending upgrading that the gaming rig geeks do. The orange box IMO was perfectly acceptable and unless you'd already played it on some uberspec PC it's fair to say people like myself still got a huge amount of enjoyment out of it.Left for dead games and more recently portal 2 have been sold in console form so I've no reason to think Valve would cut off another opportunity to generate some revenue from a title just to keep the elitists happy.
It won't be on current gen hardware, so that ship has sailed. You'll get a more current experience x

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I really am intrigued that if it IS the third installment of Half-Life - just where they will head with it. Surely they couldn't make it a linear, scripted shooter of old - no matter how epic the first two games were?

The console impact is one they can't ignore (unfortunately). So long as they employ Scone's theory that HL3 will use next-gen consoles - then we should be safe. For now.

Basically Valve, DO NOT cripple this title for the sake of thumb twiddlers. Seriously - in all seriousness.

D.

F82 M4
Agreed. I'm pretty sure Valve will have something up their sleaves for this. Something with a OMGWTF AWESOMESAUCE factor :cool: