ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Flamers replacement - Mini Cooper S

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well I can't quite believe it myself but the time has come to move on from the flamer. It'll be getting put back to near standard and sold along with all the various spares and tarty bits I have lying around. So this pic will never be repeated :(

1F5EC4E8-158B-4B9A-80F4-AB203D68A781_zpsgbsb0u6m.jpg

After a lot of searching about in the 2-3k area it was a toss up between a RX8 or a MCS. The mini scares me less so I've gone for that!

E7C0627E-B3F6-4F8E-AED4-30F7CE80CC96.png_zpslthywemw.jpg

F0E18544-C292-4815-8D9A-BF7A18F907F7_zpsw6eglhe9.png

8135D50C-4D6C-4ACA-ABE9-A38E7C05ECA6_zpshayxl26u.png

BBC42E5B-A917-43A5-BE83-468DA6EE2649_zpsxqovbi38.png

EAE2AD29-0149-4CB6-B110-2917E167C72E_zpsth6ydqwm.png

2DB3503E-FF74-4085-AE59-E2ECFCBF1EFB_zpszlyhnph3.png

7C18CC02-ACD4-4D01-AF9E-3BB57095FB82_zpsvcavxjnp.png

So a few plans straight away are to lose the stripes and mirror covers, repaint the calipers silver and do something about the wheels. They've just been refurbed and from the look I had tonight are in great nick, I just don't like them in black! It'll also get the back seats removed pretty soon after getting it home (clio has been a 2 seater for about 5 years!). I'll probably go down the handling and stopping route first with a whiteline rear arb being high up my list after loving it on the clio.

Things I know about it at the moment are its got xenons, climate, full leather, new clutch, new oil seals, chain, pulley belt, fsh and a minidisc player! I'll have to go to my Mums and see if all of mine are still there!

Its at my Grans just now as I already have too many cars at home and don't have the space or need for it right now but I popped over to see her today and got those awful stripes off!

8F155184-5C07-41DC-998A-7A6A5ABE4F62_zpsx6wyhpoh.jpg

Which revealed a bit of a problem

8EF4D563-CD1F-4441-90A9-F0DFF0E07BF9_zpspqjviitm.jpg

6AF2A482-62F4-4384-BDDD-A0C580FD3138_zps2upziauz.jpg

Oh well! So I think I'll take the chance to get some of the chrome painted too, defo the fuel cap, possibly the headlight surrounds too and anything else that'll improve it.

TBH I don't think it'll ever replace the clio fully but I need to try other cars and that isn't going to happen if I keep it forever.

Cheers
John

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah it's the risk you take! They all rust there so I can't say I was that shocked. Still, id argue that it looks better with 2 bits of fuller than it does with those stripes!

Listerine & Poledo
Yup. The potential for a bill to be the same as the car cost and recoup nothing as a result.
I think if I ever do it I'd buy a non runner and get the engine rebuilt. Then it costs about the same as a running one!
Yup, all the cheap ones need new engines, no matter what the seller says.
every 70-80k, without fail.

Shame that....but they do take an LS3 in the nose ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Brilliant little cars. Get the 15% pulley upgrade, r56 front brakes and its pretty perfect as a package

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah been speaking to @Sir_Dave and he's been saying 15% as well so that'll be happening.
And on the look out for a decent exhaust but I'll probably end up doing the one ball mod and losing the mid silencer for now.
I want the R56 brakes as well but I also want to run 15s. May have found some that allow it I just need to confirm before buying.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yeah been speaking to @Sir_Dave and he's been saying 15% as well so that'll be happening.
And on the look out for a decent exhaust but I'll probably end up doing the one ball mod and losing the mid silencer for now.
I want the R56 brakes as well but I also want to run 15s. May have found some that allow it I just need to confirm before buying.
The brakes are essential!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So I hear! I take it even kick ass pads in the standard setup won't cut it?
Knockhill is quite hard on brakes, or at least I am there anyway. 2 big stops and not that much recovery between them.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its already so much better without the stripes, why not pick up some turini's for it? iirc, same offset as the Clio's? They look great on them (as they do on everything!)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
So I hear! I take it even kick ass pads in the standard setup won't cut it?
Knockhill is quite hard on brakes, or at least I am there anyway. 2 big stops and not that much recovery between them.
Never tried, but according to the forums, the r56 upgrade is the only worthwhile option. For road use, the standard setup is poor, on track I think they'd be appalling!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Its already so much better without the stripes, why not pick up some turini's for it? iirc, same offset as the Clio's? They look great on them (as they do on everything!)

Would look good on them. And aye whilst checking for some other wheels it looks like all I would need are spigot rings.

Get the willy wheels on it!

That's the wheels I was checking! I'll trial fit them when I get it home.

Never tried, but according to the forums, the r56 upgrade is the only worthwhile option. For road use, the standard setup is poor, on track I think they'd be appalling!

Mmm should probably bite the bullet then.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Not sure if R56S front setup will fit will 15's, hence i run 16s! R888's are expensive in 195/50/16 size though :(
IMG_3922_zps8d7908a4.jpg

I run R56 front setup with Carbotech XP8 pads, Nitrac grooved discs, braided lines & Castrol SRF. Bear in mind that on track, the pedal isnt as firm as the clio (even when bled about 20 times in a row), not much you can do about it, will feel a little odd at first, but works perfectly fine.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not sure if R56S front setup will fit will 15's, hence i run 16s! R888's are expensive in 195/50/16 size though 😧
IMG_3922_zps8d7908a4.jpg

I run R56 front setup with Carbotech XP8 pads, Nitrac grooved discs, braided lines & Castrol SRF. Bear in mind that on track, the pedal isnt as firm as the clio (even when bled about 20 times in a row), not much you can do about it, will feel a little odd at first, but works perfectly fine.
Iirc changing the master cylinder sorts that. But more hassle than it's worth.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I should be able to confirm or deny be R56 setup and 15s soon so ill let you know.
That swap looks like such a massive faff! Do the R56 have the same feel?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
JCW is the original one, Dave F is the copy, Orranje is the copy of the Dave F.
There is also the "hobo version" which you make yourself with some drainpipe & a dremel.
I still detest that forum. Although I did make £500 on my Recaros lol.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Isn't "slam it or f**k off" the standard advice?
Pretty much, along with what has been said above lol.
Difference is that CS members fit V-Maxx coilovers & camber bolts for £300, whereas Mini owners will only fit KW ClubSports.
No point fitting anything else because they are all suspension engineers who adjust their dampers before each trip to McDonalds.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Shame to see the Flamer go, nice replacement though. Never driven one myself :(
Quick?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I take it you guys are talking about MiniTorque? It's a bit of a weird place... I thought the 'Hello and welcome to the forum now PUT COILOVERS ON IT" was a joke thing, but it seems it's not :unamused:

Also anything non Mini related is frowned upon even in off topic sections!

I'll always be on ClioSport no matter what car I have.