ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Impreza picture and discussion thread

Impreza RB5 #054
Yeah I saw that. Its bloody lovely. I'd have to sell mine first though sadly.

Or i'd have a 300+ bhp RB5..:cool:

Edit - Holy f**k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMPREZA-R...1316344?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f2b6a2578

Would happily sell mine if I had a nice Bug STI Prodrive lined up to buy.

5235401453_9959576e3a_z_zps85916bf3.jpg

Impreza RB5 #054
Whats the spec on your RB5?

VF28, STI top mount, Harvey Smith Headers and up pipe, Walbro Pump and some Bob Rawle mapping.
Engine fully rebulit with new crank,pistons,rods and the box is less than 12 months old, all done at API.

Day I bought it
25AE9828-10B8-49F0-9C78-7260ED353F42-3004-0000016F23018609_zps745d4817.jpg

Recently
186E8669-9A83-4AD9-B629-CD7DAA21496B-6753-00000711A1694C5A_zps56641dca.jpg

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Was it on ebay the other day/week? Looks lovely. My Bro had his STi4 rebuilt by APi..Was great after

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
that buyeye is stunning. i really fancy one, like hens teeth though trying to find a good one. one came up on ebay yestereday looks like its sold already, was a cracker.

535d / t5 caravelle
Would happily sell mine if I had a nice Bug STI Prodrive lined up to buy.

5235401453_9959576e3a_z_zps85916bf3.jpg

that buyeye is stunning. i really fancy one, like hens teeth though trying to find a good one. one came up on ebay yestereday looks like its sold already, was a cracker.

f**k me that is nice! is that just a random pic you found or is there more info on it?

you got a link to the ebay bug? theres a few still on there, was it standard or modified?

Impreza RB5 #054
I think I was watching it..lol! How much were you after? 4.5k was it?

Im having serious thoughts of selling the TT.

Yeah, 4.5k.
Had a older guy wanting to pick it up last Saturday but like I said, I s**t out.

Another idea I thought of, I would put it back to standard and sell off the goodies.

I've noticed that 99% of the classics looks manky as hell under the bonnet, really dirty etc like no one's been under there in years.

Cup In bits
I've noticed that 99% of the classics looks manky as hell under the bonnet, really dirty etc like no one's been under there in years.

I better prepare my flame suit here but the average joe doesn't have the sense or the balls to jet wash their engine bays ( same with most cars though) but the fact impreza's are so busy and the manifolds flake doesn't help them.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
That Classic not take your fancy?

that sti 5 with all the goodies? oh aye id love that tbf. if i had the cash right now i would probably of went for it, still waiting on inheritance money coming through so not in a position yet to do anything. could of sold my ph1 ages ago too but cant be without a car. very annoying.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Say 6k, doesn't need to be a minter mechanically but I would prefer if the running gear was sound.

I would only go for the best standard fitted bits from the impreza range (i.e cheap) in the best combination then map it front mount. A few whiteline bits to sort the handling, job done.

To be fair if its light track work then any Classic Impreza will do the job as long as you stay within the boundaries of the engine and gearbox, both are not great in Classic form. Having said that, the later('99-0n) TY54 gearbox's in the STI's/RA's and Type R's have a hardened gearset and do tend to take abuse better than the earlier TY52 gearbox's but they are still not in the same league as a Newage STI 6speed.

The 2.0 engines in the Classics have a weak point, the rods! The stud/nut combo is the bug bear which in turn really makes no Classic engine stronger than other in standard form whether that be WRX/STI or UK, all though the STI does come with Subaru forged pistons but they are nothing like aftermarket forged pistons. The real bonus with the STI engine is in the form of the heads/cams, solid lifters and wilder cams with a higher rev limit, really necessary for any big build or another route is the AVCS heads once again from the Newage STI.
People talk about the closed deck block engine being a strong engine, that's not entirely true, the strength lies in the block itself not what's inside. A CBD only becomes beneficial when running high boost due to more material around the cylinders(less cylinder wall flexing) So with anything under 500bhp an open deck block will more than suffice.

If you really want to start with a good track base car to keep to modest to power levels than a DCCD equipped car is the one to opt for.....An STI RA or an STI Type R as mentioned in the thread.....These two models(behind the 22B) are the best Classic models to leave FHI's factory but come at a price, good ones are very sought after. With the DCCD run in open diff if gives a front/rear wheel bias of roughly 40/60 with none of this legendary understeer the Impreza is known for.

There is so much Impreza info, i could go on all night...lol...If you any have questions fella, fire away and ill try and answer.....There is one thing, Classic Impreza track cars are not cheap hence why after 12+ years with Imprezas i opted for a Clio Cup, i can continue doing something i like at a fraction of the price!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Agreed with the price over sonething like a cup for affordability. I guess it comes down to how many track days if any you will be doing. I've had my stints in the clios and a go in an ep3, the latter not nearly as much fun as the former. As long as I can continue to afford the impreza I will keep it. Have my first day in the car at oulton which I know pretty well, I'd be a little bit more nervous on a track I didn't know. I generally sell up after a trackday lol so will see how this one pans out. One thing I've found is I've been less In the mood for spending money, no real need. It's plenty quick enough as it is and IMO with the small additions I've carried out, fog covers and mud flaps it looks pretty good too. Oh and now the dents have been removed I'm even more happy, it's the little things :).

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Jay does the cusco four point under brace do much? Only ask as a new one has come up for sale on scoobynet. My car is allready on coilovers.

Nimbus Grey 197
The Mrs has jus brought a 330s hatch bit controversial but I like them and so does she and the red sti is my dads and he likes them to lol bit here they are

IMG_20131027_114442_zpsb83a1ed3.jpg

IMAG0751_zps6ae80336.jpg

IMAG0757_zps7bdf3046.jpg

IMG_20131021_091111_zpsc6f7542b.jpg

IMG_20131021_090949_zps27306eef.jpg

IMG_20131012_112635_zps588559a6.jpg

IMAG0727_zps7ad94b3a.jpg

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
It stiffens up the front but not to the point where it induces more understeer, not a bad mod and pretty cheap to buy, even new.....A good track mod for an Impreza is an uprated rear anti rollbar, leaving the front standard and an anti lift kit....

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok cheers. The brace is £55, not really looked into these before. The anti lift kit without the rear anti roll bar, worth doing?

Impreza RB5 #054

When the bagpipes end and all you can hear is the flat four on the limiter,Goosebumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Cup In bits
To be fair if its light track work then any Classic Impreza will do the job as long as you stay within the boundaries of the engine and gearbox, both are not great in Classic form. Having said that, the later('99-0n) TY54 gearbox's in the STI's/RA's and Type R's have a hardened gearset and do tend to take abuse better than the earlier TY52 gearbox's but they are still not in the same league as a Newage STI 6speed.

The 2.0 engines in the Classics have a weak point, the rods! The stud/nut combo is the bug bear which in turn really makes no Classic engine stronger than other in standard form whether that be WRX/STI or UK, all though the STI does come with Subaru forged pistons but they are nothing like aftermarket forged pistons. The real bonus with the STI engine is in the form of the heads/cams, solid lifters and wilder cams with a higher rev limit, really necessary for any big build or another route is the AVCS heads once again from the Newage STI.
People talk about the closed deck block engine being a strong engine, that's not entirely true, the strength lies in the block itself not what's inside. A CBD only becomes beneficial when running high boost due to more material around the cylinders(less cylinder wall flexing) So with anything under 500bhp an open deck block will more than suffice.

If you really want to start with a good track base car to keep to modest to power levels than a DCCD equipped car is the one to opt for.....An STI RA or an STI Type R as mentioned in the thread.....These two models(behind the 22B) are the best Classic models to leave FHI's factory but come at a price, good ones are very sought after. With the DCCD run in open diff if gives a front/rear wheel bias of roughly 40/60 with none of this legendary understeer the Impreza is known for.

There is so much Impreza info, i could go on all night...lol...If you any have questions fella, fire away and ill try and answer.....There is one thing, Classic Impreza track cars are not cheap hence why after 12+ years with Imprezas i opted for a Clio Cup, i can continue doing something i like at a fraction of the price!

Cheers for that, the STI type R sounds ideal as I love the 2 door cars, I wouldn't want to spend too much on it as it would just be a summer car to have some fun, have a laugh on a few track days and sell on. Are you saying the DCCD boxes only came in some of the type R's and RA's? Would you say 6-7k could get a tidy enough one (serviceable things like belts etc doesn't matter as I'll do them myself) and have change to do a few tweeks to the suspension and a little more power if it doesn't already have it (circa 330)

You lost me on these.... CBD (closed deck block??) and FHI?!?

That 555 liveried 2 door is stunning, them 6 spoke speedlines or revolution wheels finish classics off.

Ohh and another thing, does the pink badges mean they are and import or is there any defining features on them cars.

Last edited: