ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The "Ive taken a pic and I kinda like it" thread

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
@jaswalker24 nice capture, what program are you editing in? are you shooting in RAW?

If so with the photo above, adjust the white balance to balance out the blues and oranges, bring up the shadows so its so dark and drop the contrast a little and up the exposure.

Titanium 182
Got my first DSLR :smiley: very happy with it! Been practicing in manual mode (RAW), here are a few shots I liked post processing.
16986055166_869decce4f_s.jpg
DSC_0044_01 by jacobisace, on Flickr
16986059686_e37a9834c9_s.jpg
DSC_0011_01 by jacobisace, on Flickr
17010618442_a280a5a4a2_s.jpg
DSC_0021_01 by jacobisace, on Flickr

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Got my first DSLR :smiley: very happy with it! Been practicing in manual mode (RAW), here are a few shots I liked post processing.
16986055166_869decce4f_s.jpg
DSC_0044_01 by jacobisace, on Flickr
16986059686_e37a9834c9_s.jpg
DSC_0011_01 by jacobisace, on Flickr
17010618442_a280a5a4a2_s.jpg
DSC_0021_01 by jacobisace, on Flickr

Congrats on getting your first DSLR, i was exited too when i got mine. For the time being stick it in Aperture Mode "AV" mode 90% of the time you'll use it. When i first started i put it in Full Auto then much later Full Manuel and didn't have a clue what the Shutter/Aperture meant and now i do i just stick it on AV mode and let the camera choose the shutter and i can control how much depth of field like how much blur close up or how much detail in far away shots. Not bad for your first shots like. I prefer the flower shot of the three as you got in close and you need to get the focus of the centre of the flower. The strings shot i think theirs too much DOF try a little higher on the F number but that's my personal taste, great shot any away

Titanium 182
Thanks very much for the tips :smile: making sure to stay well away from Auto mode lol, the difference from manually setting the ISO and not using flash is amazing isn't it!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Thanks very much for the tips :smile: making sure to stay well away from Auto mode lol, the difference from manually setting the ISO and not using flash is amazing isn't it!
From what I've learnt the ISO the lower it is the more detail it picks up and the higher it is the more grainy it is. Just need to judge the best ISO for your surroundings. As said loads of times as for me too the stickys read and read again. I just found out with my 50mm I can shoot in much lower light than my kit lens

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
@jaswalker24 nice capture, what program are you editing in? are you shooting in RAW?

If so with the photo above, adjust the white balance to balance out the blues and oranges, bring up the shadows so its so dark and drop the contrast a little and up the exposure.
I've been playing around with flash gels and a high powered torch painting the car with it over a long exposure.
I'm Using Lightroom, i've recently started in raw because jpeg just didn't look as i saw it from my eye, i've only been on light room for about two weeks.

The below is after making the changes as you said.
17018452652_95e4d98811_b.jpg
IMG_2203 by jaswalker244, on Flickr

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
16977334716_18c341fab2_b.jpg
Hatchback shoot out by jaswalker244, on Flickr

After a recent Track day, was game over for the car at lunch time, so out came the canon :tonguewink:

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Wall Tree.jpg Tried lower reso but still comes up as very large pic, got no f**king idea how to make a smaller pic

can't edit it much as it was taken in JPEG couple years back but thought i'd share

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I've been playing around with flash gels and a high powered torch painting the car with it over a long exposure.
I'm Using Lightroom, i've recently started in raw because jpeg just didn't look as i saw it from my eye, i've only been on light room for about two weeks.

The below is after making the changes as you said.
17018452652_95e4d98811_b.jpg
IMG_2203 by jaswalker244, on Flickr

Shooting in RAW will transform how process your photos, mind me asking what camera you are shooting with ? I am no expert at light painting but when you use it try and follow the curves of the car.

Lightroom is so powerful don't be afraid to push the sliders up, also you can lower or increase the saturation of individual colours. I edited to the Jpeg, hope you don't mind to show you what I meant. The original had a a lot of blue and magenta tones in the paintwork along with lots of orange because if the the not so great lighting at ace cafe.

Hope you don't mind just trying to offer some advice.

17023074801_1232372eea_b.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
The other things I forgot to mention is the use of the adjustment brush to bring out colours, here is the same photo again, but all I have done is just bring out the colours, exposure using the adjustment brush.

Again hope you don't mind me editing again.. Feel free to drop me a message to remove them.

16836369558_149d9e42c3_b.jpg

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
The other things I forgot to mention is the use of the adjustment brush to bring out colours, here is the same photo again, but all I have done is just bring out the colours, exposure using the adjustment brush.

Again hope you don't mind me editing again.. Feel free to drop me a message to remove them.

16836369558_149d9e42c3_b.jpg
Ahh I understand, I'll have to keep having a play around, changes look fantastic. I'll probably be doing quite a few of these in the near future, I try to do most of it during the exposure, so Lightroom comes as a big leap, I'm using a canon 7d at the moment mainly for the high fps and button customizability

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
One from yesterdays wedding, I only had around 6 minutes to get this shot setup and captured as they where about to do first dance and cake cutting. I spotted the arch in the afternoon doing formal shots and thought I would give it a go.

Shot with one SB-900 behind the couple, triggered with pocket wizards, Nikon D4 & Sigma 35mm F1.4

17044051785_e78ca94c57_b.jpg

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
16858605500_d2d5d774a2_b.jpg
One Man Fishing by MarkGeddes7, on Flickr

Sorry for the mess about, i deleted it off flickr as i dind't think it was any good. Had a good look at it and thought i'd put it back on so here it is.

Cayman S Edition 1
One from yesterdays wedding, I only had around 6 minutes to get this shot setup and captured as they where about to do first dance and cake cutting. I spotted the arch in the afternoon doing formal shots and thought I would give it a go.

Shot with one SB-900 behind the couple, triggered with pocket wizards, Nikon D4 & Sigma 35mm F1.4

17044051785_e78ca94c57_b.jpg
That's a clever bit of lighting mate. Great effect.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Was at the in-laws last night. We drove through some low lying fog/mist. Didn't look that good when we got to their house but once the sunset colours came through it started to look half decent.
Times like these though I wish I had my crop body and 55-250 instead of my 105mm on FF. Had to crop a lot of this.

17051905842_798dda5928_c.jpg
Above the clouds
by A_Cro, on Flickr

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah I know what you mean I shot in JPEG years ago
Was at the in-laws last night. We drove through some low lying fog/mist. Didn't look that good when we got to their house but once the sunset colours came through it started to look half decent.
Times like these though I wish I had my crop body and 55-250 instead of my 105mm on FF. Had to crop a lot of this.

17051905842_798dda5928_c.jpg
Above the clouds
by A_Cro, on Flickr

Looks a good shot, how much of it would of been missed out if you had a bigger zoom lens?

I've noticed one or two people on here darken the top of the picture and corners to guide you in the middle. how do you do it on Photoshop?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Hadn't taken the camera out in ages, enjoyed myself even though i'm not entirely happy with the shots.

Forgot to take my charger so only got to take a few :(

17039445086_e50a713b76_c.jpg
Dungeoness Beach B&W by scrooge89, on Flickr

16877639048_4b626ff066_c.jpg
Dungeoness Beach Boat B&W by scrooge89, on Flickr

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Nice those Scrooge. The top one would be better with some more water and a long exposure of you go back again.
Get there on a clear night in the summer. I've seen some superb Milky Way shots there.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Nice those Scrooge. The top one would be better with some more water and a long exposure of you go back again.
Get there on a clear night in the summer. I've seen some superb Milky Way shots there.

I was kicking myself when I walked over the sand bank and see the tide out! Was probably too windy for my silly tripod anyway!

I'm going to be going back for some sunset and star trail shots over the course of the summer. I love it down that way and luckily have family there

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Good pics there, the second one works better on Composition. The first one, i think a little bit less sky and long exposure on water, over all pretty good

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Big Rock.jpg
Chemical Beach.jpg
Save my Wheels.jpg

The first two are nothing special, just got bored and knocked a couple up on Photoshop. Took those a fair few weeks ago in Seaham. The tide was out so next time i'm going to time it right and do some Long Exposure and get a little more closer to the ground get some pebbles in or rocks or something and the last one was a different view as the one you saw little while ago. I took a few there that you haven't seen yet. But learnt a lot since then so be better next time. I'm thinking of getting the Wheels one printed and framed not this one but the other one. A mate of mine wants a copy too :smile:

Last edited:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Good pics there, the second one works better on Composition. The first one, i think a little bit less sky and long exposure on water, over all pretty good

The tide was too far out and it was seriously too windy to do long exposure :(

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
The tide was too far out and it was seriously too windy to do long exposure 😧
Yeah tides are very hard to time properly. A good stable tripod, i've never put stuff like a bag/weight on the tripod's hook to make it more stable but worth a suggestion. I've tried doing long exposures in the water and tide coming in it can make to tripod shake a little. Next time eh hope you it works for you

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
17101596362_247679e6c1_b.jpg
LadyBower Reservoir by jaswalker244, on Flickr

16895759997_fe5a4d1133_b.jpg
LadyBower Reservoir by jaswalker244, on Flickr

Took a trip into the peak district on my way back from RSTuning today and thought it would be rude not to stop for a couple of snaps.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Took my new DSLR to the lakes and got a few shots I was pretty happy with. The long exposure could have been better but I didn't have a tripod or ND filter lol
17099705681_58763ee445_c.jpg
DSC_0571 by jacobisace, on Flickr
16914215409_a66e32e9ed_c.jpg
DSC_0423 by jacobisace, on Flickr
16914214489_4e2fc0d539_c.jpg
DSC_0424 by jacobisace, on Flickr
16914238619_8a3c194209_c.jpg
DSC_0344 by jacobisace, on Flickr
Just had a look on your Flickr account, where abouts did you go in the Lakes? I really want to go back to Lake Buttermere area, amazing place I went too. You got some really good ideas on your other pictures, not bad at all.
Took my new DSLR to the lakes and got a few shots I was pretty happy with. The long exposure could have been better but I didn't have a tripod or ND filter lol
17099705681_58763ee445_c.jpg
DSC_0571 by jacobisace, on Flickr
16914215409_a66e32e9ed_c.jpg
DSC_0423 by jacobisace, on Flickr
16914214489_4e2fc0d539_c.jpg
DSC_0424 by jacobisace, on Flickr
16914238619_8a3c194209_c.jpg
DSC_0344 by jacobisace, on Flickr