ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The "Ive taken a pic and I kinda like it" thread

thanks :) yeah i know what you mean, i just get bored with my kit, and think buying more is the way forward, i loved my 50mm when i 1st got it but now i ararely use it, maybe i need to start using thinsg again, tbh my 20mm rarely comes off.

I know exactly what you mean. I get tempted to buy more kit to get me enthusiastic again.

I'm just trying to get out there more this year.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Dearest indecisive one,

I love the barrel distortion on my 10-20... I don't think you can go wide without it, but maybe that's the whole point ?!

Go buy one if you want wide. If you don't, choose something else or hush your noises :rasp:

Mk2 Golf gti
Wish i was back here :(

6795383917_7915d6cc42_z.jpg

Daytona sunset. by adele_90, on Flickr

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Love that Adele.

All this talk of new lens's has got me looking too, really want a new walkabout lens to replace the kit one.

Not a photo but an example of some of the 3D stuff I've done. Can post more if anyone's interested (and it's allowed!).

4.jpg

Do you apply any sharpening when you resize your photos?

I apply a tiny bit, using unsharp mask - don't use the basic 'sharpen' tools.

It's not really cheating, as photos always look softer when you resize them anyway.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i dont really do any prosessing, i dont have any software any more only pixlr, but they dont even look sharp before hand

seriously how do you get them that sharp.. i just cant :S

On long exposures or normal? Heres the best tip for everyone doing long exposures, turn OFF any stability control system ;) Its also taken with a tack sharp macro lens and a downsampled 24 megapixel file.

That shot was taken at f/2.8. So there's a reason straight away as to why it's not super sharp.

The sharpest aperture range on most lenses are around f/8 -f/11.

More expensive lenses are still pretty sharp at large apertures, but don't forget the effect of depth of field, which will make some parts of photos potentially softer.

Seems to fair pretty well in a lot of reviews. Here's a summary one:

[h=4]Verdict[/h]Sigma has positioned the AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro in one of the sweet spots of the market. It is priced beyond the (usually pretty crappy) kit zooms yet it still remains within the reach of budget shoppers. Even better than that it delivers a performance which matches and sometimes even exceeds more expensive lenses. This includes the in-house competition (AF 18-50mm f/2.8 EX) as well as genuine brand lenses (such as the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS). All in all the lens has only one really weak spot - 17mm at wide-open aperture where the extreme border performance is soft and vignetting is quite pronounced (but still not worse than the direct competition). At medium aperture settings the delivered quality is very impressive. Combine that with the quite decent build quality and fast AF and it doesn't need a genius to foresee that this lens will be a quite hot seller.
Optical Quality:
3star.gif
Mechanical Quality:
3star.gif
Price/Performance:
5star.gif

It just comes down to what you want the lens for.

Storm Grey 200
Lovely thick star trails there, but the rocks a bit to IM A ROCK IN YO FACE for me.

I meaning to get out but its freeziiiiinnggg

Fiesta ST-3
Nice shot Scott!

Where did you focus though? The foreground looks a little out of focus.

Did you use hyper focal distancing?

Cheers Dan! It was so dark up there I really stuggled to get focus on anything. Not sure what hyper focusing is?

Got a cracker from last night I need to upload!

Hyper focal distancing is about making the maximum possible range of distances in focus (in a nutshell).

So for landscape shots, where there are things in the foreground too (just like your shot), DON'T focus at infinity - focus at the hyperfocal distance instead so both the foreground and background are in focus.

It's kind of hard to explain, but google it and you'll see what I mean.

That shot would have been ideal for it.

White APE
Scott. Have you got the settings you used in the stair trails? The exit isn't showing them I'm guessing due to stacking images.