ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Clio Cup Car...

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
...was on display at Autosport International. Thought people might like to see it, so took a few snaps.

IMG_20200110_152754.jpg
IMG_20200110_152808.jpg
IMG_20200110_152811.jpg
IMG_20200110_152814.jpg
IMG_20200110_152801.jpg
IMG_20200110_152740.jpg
IMG_20200110_152743.jpg

It's a decent looking thing, though perhaps fairly mild in terms of spec compared to the MK4. A shame they only had the race version though. I'd like to have seen the rally one too.

Genuine question as I've never seen one in detail, what makes the mk4 a less mild spec?

(I know you know, but) cup racer spec has always been deliberately mild by factory standards to keep the purchase, running & repair costs inline with what's required for a healthy one make unofficial feeder/marketing series.

Infact come to think of it the R1/2/3 cars are the first in absolutely ages (last one being S1600?) to be built to a set of FIA regs. Ignoring the GT3 conversion kit for the RS01 since hardly anyone bought one.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I guess I could have said "engine/speed" rather than engine, as that's the main difference that's going to influence performance. They had started to dip their toes into the aero pool with the MK4 too with the rear wing too. It had paddle shift too I believe?

It's going to be interesting to see how this fits into the rally world. Modern R2 (now R4) cars are pretty potent, but the literature I picked up on this seems a little vague when it comes engine output. Maybe it will be an R1, as they're now sequential. It would be odd if it didn't fit into an existing category, unless they just want it to replace the Clio series in France?

It'll be interesting to see what the lap times will be with this 1.3 180 BHP version when compare to the outgoing MK4 2.0 220bhp machine

Not bad value, a new race car at £32000 + vat (especially if you can claim the vat back)

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Had a good look around it on friday at the show, interior full of sabelt and rs branding. Particularly liked the door pulls
Got them to pop the bonnet but nothing fascinating to look at there

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I cant see how such a small engine is going to lug the bulky clio around and still look entertaining, what's the torque figures on these new engines? They've basically gone backwards 15 years to the 182

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I cant see how such a small engine is going to lug the bulky clio around and still look entertaining, what's the torque figures on these new engines? They've basically gone backwards 15 years to the 182
The MK4 cup cars keep pace with a lot of quick stuff. Theres a lad that runs an 130i in the MSV Championship and the MK4 arent that much slower than it. 220bhp from a 1.6 is pretty good going and they're only just a shade over a tonne

Plus the gearboxes in them arent the same as the standard cars either, it takes them 100ms to shift a gear which is the same as a Veyron😂

Just for reference the standard 200 in race mode is 150ms which is the same as an Enzo or a GTR

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
If you're worried about performance from the small engine, look at the latest R2 cars; Fiesta 1.0T and 208 1.2T respectively. These small, turbocharged cars are now the norm in the lower classes and they go really well...

And a test of the new Clio on track...

... and in rally trim...

Once you've got 20-30 of them rubbing door handles on track, it will be as good as ever. The Clio Cup has never been about straight line speed, but about carrying speed through the corners and close racing with identical cars.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The 1.6 and 2.0 kit cars were incredible for sure. You're right though, the engines were serious bits of kit. The whole car was really. The money being spent was mad by the end.

Sadly, with basically everything being turbocharged now, we'll never see their like again. It would be nice to see a proper 2WD category again, with wide arches and the like. They could still be awesome, even with turbo engines. Rallying seems obsessed with 4WD now though, which really doesn't help costs.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
If you're worried about performance from the small engine, look at the latest R2 cars; Fiesta 1.0T and 208 1.2T respectively. These small, turbocharged cars are now the norm in the lower classes and they go really well...

And a test of the new Clio on track...

... and in rally trim...

Once you've got 20-30 of them rubbing door handles on track, it will be as good as ever. The Clio Cup has never been about straight line speed, but about carrying speed through the corners and close racing with identical cars.

I bet they deliver quicker lap times but I’d rather lap .03 secs slower and not sound like a wet fart crossing the line.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I bet they deliver quicker lap times but I’d rather lap .03 secs slower and not sound like a wet fart crossing the line.

The problem is, it kind of defeats the object if your road-based race series has to use a different engine to the road cars, just to appease people that can't let go of the past 😂

They should have gone all-out and made that turbo lump a three-pot, like Ford and PSA have. The Fiesta and 208 above sound decent.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
The problem is, it kind of defeats the object if your road-based race series has to use a different engine to the road cars, just to appease people that can't let go of the past 😂

They should have gone all-out and made that turbo lump a three-pot, like Ford and PSA have. The Fiesta and 208 above sound decent.

Realise that, just like the current F1 cars. Soon they will be electric rally cars, silent!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Realise that, just like the current F1 cars. Soon they will be electric rally cars, silent!

Yeah. Opel are running an all-electric rally series this season for the Corsa-E, which replaces the Adam Cup. The world is definitely a changing.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i doubt it will be too bulky, the road car I think is 1200kg with all its fancy interior and bose etc etc, and the biggest difference was the nicer interior, my bird has a mk4 Clio GT and its 1050kg or something silly! these smaller engines do have their benefits!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
They have more power and torque than the old N/A engines? [emoji23][emoji38]

The whole small capacity engines are no good view is pretty unrealistic tbh, especially when they can run a considerable amount more power and torque

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
They have more power and torque than the old N/A engines? [emoji23][emoji38]

The whole small capacity engines are no good view is pretty unrealistic tbh, especially when they can run a considerable amount more power and torque
this is cliosport, don't you know how it works, the new engine is smaller, lighter, more efficient, delivers more power and more torque but its definitely went backwords as the 182 was the last of the rear hot hatches iirc ;)