ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else with a S23 ultra having issues with it ? I think the camera photos are crap. My old Note 9 did photos kinda the same, plus now, I have a rattle coming from inside the phone(that I didn't had before), and when I try to book a service thing, Samsung says is normal. Wtf !! Normal at a 1k + phone ?

And I keep my phone in a bulky rugged case, front and back cover, not dropping it or stuff.
The rattle IS normal, don't shake your phone about mate. The s23 Ultra photos are nowhere near a note 9 sorry. I had a note10+ and even my 22u blows it away. Pictures in this thread.

The 3x camera is insane.

Was in Samsung experience shop today, really nice to walk around. Emma was having her screen protector replaced on her flip 4 foc. That fold 4 really is a work of art.

I get a free upgrade every year from Samsung and think I'll give the fold 5 a go... It's only a year if I don't gel, I considered getting a iPad mini soon as I have an air, due to portability but jelly scroll and 60hz screen means it's a no go so this should work perfectly. I shall update after Samsung show at the end of July.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
S22U still worth looking at @Gally ?

£30pm with £19 upfront, 160gb data (26pm if you want 80gb but it's £89 upfront)

Has the OS moved on much from the note 8/9? - can't remember which I had now.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Os is solid. No issue on the latest version or bloat. I run nova launcher but even one UI is smart.

Not sure why they're selling 128gb ones though. I have like 400gb in my phone. I back up with cloud but I need native photos etc on device.

Great phone though my one has been faultless for a year.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh meant to say, when I the shop spent a bit of time handling the phones and the s23 standard model just feel epic in the hand. God I miss owning a small phone! Fine little piece of tech front and back.

Beautiful design, screen, proportions.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Turns out that was a new customer only deal and it's not available as an upgrade.

Apparently I can get it and ask o2 to swap my numbers when I cancel my SIM only contract. Never done it that was as I've always just upgraded.

Did the camera issues get fixed with updates then? Read a few about the autofocus and soft images.

I'm used to 128gb phones so that probably won't bother me. That's all they have iirc, probably unsold stock as they aren't available at all on the O2 website/app.
Can they take memory cards if needed?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Only Sony offer memory card slot in their flagships.

I never had a camera issue. Some of the shots I've taken with this one are incredible.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
An example of versatility...

20221015_113009.jpg
20221015_113018.jpg
20221015_113326.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
If they can nail computational photography... They have a good phone, I still don't want a tall screen.

Get a MK4? Free headphones and just grab a SIM only deal. Some cracking deals out there and pay the phone up to Sony or buy it outright on eBay.

My Xperia Z is really starting to show it's age now, so I'm thinking of getting an upgrade off Backmarket. I love my Sony, but that video puts me off getting a 1 iv if the camera is going to be toss in anything other than manual mode.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think toss is the right word but video is probably the hardest part as it's much less compuational and relies on optics and stabilisation.

Any new experia will be very good in fairness. I've recommended the iv to lots of folk. It has so much going fot it and the video I think will meet you standards in auto mode!

David is the guy and his videos are brilliant.

Ignore the indoor nightime videos imo, even is Sony Alpha camera looks a bit s**t on video I think.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I don't think toss is the right word but video is probably the hardest part as it's much less compuational and relies on optics and stabilisation.

Any new experia will be very good in fairness. I've recommended the iv to lots of folk. It has so much going fot it and the video I think will meet you standards in auto mode!

David is the guy and his videos are brilliant.

Ignore the indoor nightime videos imo, even is Sony Alpha camera looks a bit s**t on video I think.

Cheers, will have a watch of that, although just noticed backmarket only have the 1 in "fair" condition, so may go for the 5 iv (or just YOLO and get a 1 iv direct from Sony)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I imagine the 5 is anice phone a a more handle friendly footprint.

Not sure what fair condition will be. Have you looked at Amazon refurbished? One year warranty also.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sony's are great phones as long as you intend to keep them forever. If you're thinking about having it for a year and then selling it to buy something else, don't bother. The phones are almost worthless as soon as you open the box.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Sony's are great phones as long as you intend to keep them forever. If you're thinking about having it for a year and then selling it to buy something else, don't bother. The phones are almost worthless as soon as you open the box.

I've had my Xperia XZ premium for about 4 or 5 years now. Fantastic phone, but it's showing its age

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not totally true looking at the price of the iv. They have held on not too bad and I think becasue they are a bit rarer.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Been an xperia user for many years, highly recommend them.

Had the 1 iii for the past year and no issues with it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_20230626_224846_Twitter.jpg

Really like the nothing phone design this year ala iPhone style. No.2 will have an almost iPhone 11 or earlier design. Still think they may be missing a trick with two cameras.

Cool phones and no.1 is a really good price imo.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Just had a look at 02, I'm currently paying £21 a month for unlimited calls/texts and 10gb of data (which gets doubled to 20gb as I have Virgin BB). That tariff should actually be £10 a month on SIM only, so was going to call them to discuss that, but then noticed they have the Xperia 1 V at £47.50 a month for 36 months inc airtime

Works out at £1299 for the phone over the 36 months

Or f**k it, just buy a Xperia 5 iv from backmarket for £445 in one lump sum, as it's going to be much better than the Xperia XZ Prem I have now, and get 02 to sort my sim only deal out.

Hmmmmmm :unsure:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a look at 02, I'm currently paying £21 a month for unlimited calls/texts and 10gb of data (which gets doubled to 20gb as I have Virgin BB). That tariff should actually be £10 a month on SIM only, so was going to call them to discuss that, but then noticed they have the Xperia 1 V at £47.50 a month for 36 months inc airtime

Works out at £1299 for the phone over the 36 months

Or f**k it, just buy a Xperia 5 iv from backmarket for £445 in one lump sum, as it's going to be much better than the Xperia XZ Prem I have now, and get 02 to sort my sim only deal out.

Hmmmmmm :unsure:
Look at AO or elsewhere for O2 as their own website takes the piss.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’ve just used affordable mobiles for an upgrade on the wife’s phone. Much cheaper than O2.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
You'll get at least 2 price rises in that time, you'll end up paying far more for the phone than the £1299 you sign up for

Surely they cannot raise the cost of the handset during your contract, only the monly line rental fee thing? They are split on the bill

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
But not for the phone 😂
Doesn't make any sense to me I'm afraid.

"Would you like this phone and SIM for £1300?"

Yes, that's a good deal.

"Whoops, it's now cost you £1700 because reasons lmao"

I recently had the same argument with Vodafone because my contract went up from £55 to £60 after about 3 months of opening it, then raised again to £70. "Oh but the handset hasn't increased in cost." No, but you haven't increased your service and think it's fine to charge me over 20% more per month than I agreed to. If I'd purchased the phone outright and got a SIM only contract it wouldn't have increased by the same amount, so it can't just be the cost of the service increasing.

TL;Dr I will never have a phone contract again, they're all robbing c***s

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Trying to buy a new phone today has been unsuccessful.

Went onto Carphone Warehouse site, found the phone and deal. Went to payment and website gives a weird error. Try another browser, different cards and my phone and still won't accept payment. Go to ID mobile directly and don't have the deal on their site. Speak to online chat as their support is only online and get frustrated after 10 mins. Look at Vodafone and they have the phone and advertise it in the colour I want, but when you buy the phone they only offer black 🤦 and it's more expensive.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Sim free from Samsung is a good deal atm cash back trade in and free buds on s23 ultra and 0%finance

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Got the s22u for £30pm for 160gb data, 24 months. Currently paying £27 for 80gb on a SIM only deal.

Should be straight forward to keep my number with O2. Never taken a fresh contract out, I've always upgraded but couldn't do that with this phone unless I wanted to pay a lot more each month.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Never mind, sorted it.

Phone seems OK. Going to have to have a look at some camera settings tomorrow, not as good as I was expecting tbh.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Never seen the tag mate, the price you paid is very good though, make sure the settings are good, scene optimiser etc off on camera. I’ve taken some incredible shots especially the 3x lens.

Not sure what to do next with mine, to fold or not to fold.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Never seen the tag mate, the price you paid is very good though, make sure the settings are good, scene optimiser etc off on camera. I’ve taken some incredible shots especially the 3x lens.

Not sure what to do next with mine, to fold or not to fold.

The father in law has a fold. I assume a fold 3?
The screen creases in the centre have started to show a lot. I know it's a given with the nature of the phone though.
I think when folded its too skinny too

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the fold 3 will be showing its age. Is the screen protector still on or is it the glass that's creasing more?

I would only have it a year that was my main line of thinking and have a few back up phones should I need any warranty etc which is likely. The outer screen didn't bother me actually, I've grown a tad tired of the big phone in my pocket, especially with a case. The fold is narrower and shorter than the ultra which was fine.

After holding that s23 in my hands I can't get out of my head a smaller phone. Especially as I watch most Media on an iPad air and will upgrade when the better screens filter down or I'll go pro iPad.

Who knows. Something irks me about the Xperia being so tall and large now. A smaller form factor 1 V I think I could get on board with!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Just stop f**king about and get an iphone.

Only c**k gobblers use iPhones.

I've just pulled the plug and bought a Sony Xperia 1 iv from Backmarket. I really like Sonys as a phone, and the camera capabilities look fantastic. Probably far more than I will ever need, but also means I probably no longer need my DSLR.

Now to find a decent wireless charger and screen protector.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
just smashed the screen on my iphone 11. I really want a new phone just to get a better camera but fook me they're £1k+. I currently pay £19 a month on a sim only contract which is nice.

Can't work out if spending loads on a new phone just for the better camera is worth it or whether I should just get my screen fixed.

Any phone I get will be though my company so I don't pay full price but it's still a lot of money.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Absolute spastics at o2. Asked for a number transfer on Friday, still nothing today. Phone again, 20 minutes on hold, give all my details again as there seems to be nothing on the system….

“Let me put you on hold please sir”

10 minutes so far….

Thought this was supposed to be a 2 second job?