ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

2014 Focus Titanium
Tbh, get the phone you want, then flash a stock rom over.

I know there's a fear over flashing, but it really is straight forward. Once you've done that, you have the phone you want with the OS you want, what more could you want? :smiley:
Bugs. I've flashed a load of phones (Sensation, GS3, One S, One X+, Nexus 7) and not one of them has been without the odd bug. Sometimes there are very few bugs admittedly, but the best bit about my Nexus 5 was that I didn't want to flash anything onto it, because the OS was perfect. I want the same from my next phone, but I don't want a 6 inch screen/£500+ price tag.

So tempted with the OnePlus One!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Bugs. I've flashed a load of phones (Sensation, GS3, One S, One X+, Nexus 7) and not one of them has been without the odd bug. Sometimes there are very few bugs admittedly, but the best bit about my Nexus 5 was that I didn't want to flash anything onto it, because the OS was perfect. I want the same from my next phone, but I don't want a 6 inch screen/£500+ price tag.

So tempted with the OnePlus One!
+1
If the price point on this Nexus 6 is too high I'll hunt around for an invite for a OnePlus One instead

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You won't need one soon.

Just had a look at them. They look smart, price is stupid cheap and specs are awesome. But I don't like CM and can't be arsed flashing.

Out of interest, what's not to like about CM11, it's stock but with a few extra configuration options?

I mistakenly thought it was full of crap so never bothered, but I installed it on my N4 and wish I'd had done it ages ago.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest, what's not to like about CM11, it's stock but with a few extra configuration options?

I mistakenly thought it was full of crap so never bothered, but I installed it on my N4 and wish I'd had done it ages ago.

Last version I used was 10 and I just couldn't get on with it. I don't know what it was either

Time to try again then :p

What about doing a full backup of your current phone, and then flashing CM11 for a day or so, and see how you get on? If you hate it just flash back what you had.

If you like CM11, then you can pick a phone even easier (as you're not tied to stock). I must admit, it's come a long way ( I didn't used to like it either, I'd always go for a random AOSP rom than use CM).

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'd definitely give it a whirl, it's pretty darned good. It takes quite a lot to impress me and I was impressed.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I didn't think the OPO spec was that great? Camera etc and the review didn't say it was as slick as people hoped!

How much is the Moto X compared with the Nexus?

I didn't think the OPO spec was that great? Camera etc and the review didn't say it was as slick as people hoped!
In what way?
It's one of the best specs out there!

Snapdragon 801 (2.5Ghz Quad), 3gb DDR3 ram, Adreno 330, 13mp Sony camera with f/2.0 (really really good imo). 5mp front camera (isn't this the same as the M8 rear? xD). I think it's a 3200mAh battery.

Maybe it's just me (I feel like I'm just praising the OPO all the time, as I probably am, but it's justified imo), but I found the camera to be excellent. Sadly a lot of it also depends on the app you use for the Camera - I've just moved to the one I said the last page, and now I can get fantastic photos just because I can set everything like I do with the DSLR.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
OPO definitely sounds proper spec. I'm impressed. Add in that decent OS then no wonder it's so popular.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Maybe it's just me (I feel like I'm just praising the OPO all the time, as I probably am, but it's justified imo), but I found the camera to be excellent. Sadly a lot of it also depends on the app you use for the Camera - I've just moved to the one I said the last page, and now I can get fantastic photos just because I can set everything like I do with the DSLR.

Which App, I think I'm going blind and can't see where you mentioned it!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I need to see a ONO and note 4.
Tempted just to stick with the Z3 and get another now though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I need to see a ONO and note 4.
Tempted just to stick with the Z3 and get another now though.
I thought you got rid of it? It doesn't hold a candle to the N4 bad boi! :eek:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I thought you got rid of it? It doesn't hold a candle to the N4 bad boi! :blush:
Hence, "and get another". :wink:
I do agree the Note has the best spec without a doubt. Just not sure I need it or a screen so big. Hmm what to do.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
What other options are there at the minute (without buying old tech)

Moto X
OnePlus One
HTC One M8
Note 4 (bit big though)

Anything else? Also any new releases due.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Try Slimkat or Temasek based on CM11. Completely transforms the S3 to a phone that is a lot more usable.
I'm utterly baffled by all the directions on how to install stuff, and this is coming from someone who has to fix software fuckups for a living :p
Got an idiots guide as I think at the moment I could land a plane with less difficulty than trying to flash a ROM

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why not just leave the stock Rom? The S3 is so far behind in design etc rooting it isn't going to transform it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So I've been looking at the OnePlus One. It looks amazing and the specs are pretty cool too.

It also appears that they have an AOPS official build too that they are releasing but does requite you to flash it.

Very intrigued, especially for the price.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
So I've been looking at the OnePlus One. It looks amazing and the specs are pretty cool too.

It also appears that they have an AOPS official build too that they are releasing but does requite you to flash it.

Very intrigued, especially for the price.

If you want a phone that big it's a no brainer tbh. Especially now the N6 has been announced.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Why not just leave the stock Rom? The S3 is so far behind in design etc rooting it isn't going to transform it.

How do you know this then?

Myself and my gf have S3's, after various android updates etc they both became particularly slow and 'laggy'. Simply switching to CM11 and temasek and a tweaked boeffla kernel has made the device dramatically quicker. In simple terms, a standard Samsung touchwiz rom on the S3 is roughly 1.2gb. An equivalent CM11 rom is 220mb. Imagine the amount of bloat and pointless s**t that has removed!?

Think I might!
Still need a usable phone until I replace it, even if this one is a slow POS

I'll try and compile some info mate when I have a chance. Are you currently rooted running a custom recovery?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's an S3! It's about a hundred years old now in design! Why am I even arguing about that.

Isn't it like having a 3gs running 8.0 successfully not laggy?

It's still a 3gs with old hardware and camera etc.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It's an S3! It's about a hundred years old now in design! Why am I even arguing about that.

Isn't it like having a 3gs running 8.0 successfully not laggy?

It's still a 3gs with old hardware and camera etc.
I wasn't arguing about design, rather your misunderstanding about the potential of different ROMs. Its fairly simple mate, an old phone has worse hardware yes, so various official android and Touchwiz updates result in the system requiring more ram and CPU power for background tasks, especially with new apps requiring increased power to boot. Now unlike your iphone, there are a lot of third party roms extensively optimised for a specific phones. Switching to stock android with one of these ROMs significantly reduces the background mem/CPU usage thus freeing up resources to use on a day to day basis. Whilst I am not saying the s3 hardware is good, a change in rom can have a vast difference. That's without me going into advanced kernel tweaks such as using different governors etc.

Its a bit like an average computer running windows vista with 2gb of ram. It was pretty crap and most went back to XP. However windows 7 was much more optimised and a system with 2gb of ram ran much smoother.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Is the note 4 out today? Vodafones website doesn't list it yet
Yes because they're f**king c***s! Whta kind of pony show are they running? Seriously!!!! It's one of the biggest phone releases this year!

It lists it on the Euro website! Cutnnuggets utter cnutnuggets!!!!

Can @Tom shed any light?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Arseholes exactly mate I will take a trip to the shop after work and see if can pick one up