ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Like I said the S20 Ultra had a lot of flaws all the specs and numbers but shite delivery which is what I found from not much research. Glad I didn't jump the gun and buy one when I saw the new deals and fortunately found the S21 Ultra 256gb for a few hundred cheaper than the Samsung site. From what I've read and seen the S21 Ultra has specs like the S20 Ultra or better but actually delivers them.

Hopefully it should arrive today and I'm looking forward to have something new after 4 years with my S8+. I'm sure the difference will be night and day in my case at least and I'm actually pretty happy with my S8+ still.

Mini Cooper S sport
Owned the 12 Pro Max for less than two weeks and the screen has a scratch on it already. Quite noticeable under the light and you can feel it with your fingernail. No idea what did that.

I'm really careful with my phones, I've never scratched the screen on any of them. I've not dropped it, it's only been in the phone pocket in my bag or on a table. Reading online it seems the new ceramic screens are tougher if you drop them but they do scratch very easily. I've never needed a screen protector before but I've bought one now. Bit late, unfortunately. I'm gutted. I expected more from a hi-tech screen on a £1200 phone.

Just a warning to anyone else thinking of getting a newer iPhone - get a screen protector.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They upgraded the drop resistance. In turn lowering scratch resistance. It's funny after 18 months I got one on my note 10+, I don't run a screen protector as I prefer the screen naked. It was my 3 year olds fingernails that caused the damage whilst scanning his new dinosaurs. Very weird but they felt sharp after I checked.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Is this your kid?

200.gif

I had a text from EE on my work phone saying we've upgraded. Not got a clue if it's just sim deal or were getting new phones. The iPhone 8 is getting tired now.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I knew someone would say that.

I've never, ever needed one and never scratched a screen before in all my years of owning iPhones - and others.

I find the screen protectors scratch and look awful, whereas the screen doesn’t scratch. I’m same, been using iPhones since the 3G and kept the screen protector free. Never broke a screen or scratched one either.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
See, I’m the opposite. I’ve always had screen protectors on but I decided a few years ago to go without one. Aaaaand I had a smashed screen on day 3 of no screen protector 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: DrR

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I’d rather have a decent screen protector and pay to replace that a few times over the phones life than have a cracked or scratched screen and have to pay hundreds to replace it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I’d rather have a decent screen protector and pay to replace that a few times over the phones life than have a cracked or scratched screen and have to pay hundreds to replace it.

That’s my point though, I’ve never had a new screen or badly scratched it in my entire ownership of iPhones since the 3g

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That’s my point though, I’ve never had a new screen or badly scratched it in my entire ownership of iPhones since the 3g
I suppose it depends what you do with it or where you store it during work.
Mine falls off the desk on the boat in bad weather, it's in and out of engine rooms, it's generally abused.
If I worked in an office I would probably see it differently.

Mini Cooper S sport
Exactly. My phones are really looked after but this one has a deep scratch within two weeks!

I’ll get it sorted at some point under AppleCare, it’s just annoying and I didn’t expect it.

I hate screen protectors but I guess needs must.

Reactions: DrR

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
The S21 is the first phone I've had where it comes with a screen protector on from factory.

Seems a decent protector for what it is as well.
Never ran a protector on the mate 20 Pro and it had light surface scratches on the screen but nothing deep.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
EE’s insurance is well worth a look into. They ask absolutely no questions, my contract ran out about three months ago, within that 18 month contract i had 5 iPhone XR’s out of them.

Excess was £100 but it is a rather sexy phone when bareback.

Ofcourse now the insurance has ended its got a f**king clog for a cover.🥰

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
The S21 is the first phone I've had where it comes with a screen protector on from factory.

Seems a decent protector for what it is as well.
Never ran a protector on the mate 20 Pro and it had light surface scratches on the screen but nothing deep.
My P20 Pro and S20 Ultra both came with them pre fitted

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The event was half decent they talk a good game. Jon Rettinger had a more favourable review and reallt liked the video, which also impressed me.

The biggest issue is always price. Those cameras are amazing at 750-800... anything above that... it needs to compete... or you become the Pixel.

Android Central always on point with their take...

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
S21 Ultra ordered

Have the annual upgrade thing with Vodafone and its worked out 20 quid cheaper a month as well, went for the 256GB in Silver. Also get a £150 Google play voucher

Really hope it fixes the issues my current S20 ultra has [emoji1787]

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I nearly had a melt down when I saw damage to my S21 Ultra screen but it turns out it's the screen protector. It's only a minor almost like pin prick damage really but I'm ocd like that and had my S8+ for 4 years no protector which is immaculate still so wasn't happy until I realised. I'll leave the protector on as it's not that bad but nice to know if it gets some damage I can swap it out.

Of course I had to test out the moon picture capabilities after seeing that TV advert. The 100x zoom is definitely a gimmick but fun none the less.

20210327_000914.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a couple of decent shots off Emma's one. We have quite a good area to take it. If you check out the article that was posted about a 2000 dollar camera that couldn't take that image properly, that's when you start to understand juts how impressive that image is.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The idiot who couldn’t shoot the moon with a $2000 camera is just that, an idiot.
My 5 year old could take better shots than he did with the same camera
For a phone, that moon photo is fine. It’s certainly not the image Samsung advertised but it never will be. The same for people believing the hot air balloon shot from their previous campaign and then getting upset when you zoom in on something 8 miles away that it isn’t actually crisp and is in fact, a big blurry mess.

For a phone, that moon photo is fine. It’s certainly not the image Samsung advertised but it never will be. The same for people believing the hot air balloon shot from their previous campaign and then getting upset when you zoom in on something 8 miles away that it isn’t actually crisp and is in fact, a big blurry mess.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Arrived today, Glad I went with the silver, not had a black phone in a long time.

Photos courtesy of potato S20U, which really don't look great in low light [emoji1787]

S21 is a touch smaller which is nice but it is a lot more top heavy, Not decided on a case yet, May leave it naked for a while, Nova setup on it, Feels and looks identical to the S20 but being able to have the full quality screen and 120hz is nice.

Autofocus is a good bit quicker, Camera bump makes it a bit wobbly on a table, Never noticed that on the 20 although it had a case since day 1, Fingerprint sensor is a bit more reliable

Glad I had my game changed.
86613a46f26fe1b21c50996e86b74651.jpg
a941c1be66d5cff586dd736e6d240ead.jpg
dabebccc406d83d58324d4414bc842ce.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Are you using that s20u right? Some of those don't seem in focus at all.

Colour is amazing for what is silver. Maybe the design helps. Enjoy!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Are you using that s20u right? Some of those don't seem in focus at all.

Colour is amazing for what is silver. Maybe the design helps. Enjoy!
Yeah, It's really hit or miss in lower light levels. First time I've really noticed it to be fair

But then it's taken photos like this so who knows, maybe the lens was dirty as I'd been out building decking all day [emoji28]
30cbb602843c16e3f98dbb78312b512a.jpg
046bd6b5780f0efcadaadf970a5cf774.jpg
c000781c510496b403df667b5416a4e3.jpg
38983d485d009b157a889adcf53955de.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Attention Sony fans. The Experia range had been good the last few but just short of where they want to be. Not anymore!

📺4K OLED HDR, 120Hz (Victus)
📸Variable optical telephoto (70-105mm) w/"tenacious" object tracking
🍪Snap 888
🎧3.5mm, 40% louder speakers
🔋4500mAh, 30W, Qi, battery bypass
🗓Summer '21 (no price yet)

Experia 1 mkiii is going all in!

sony-xperia-1-iii-details-e1604475193624.jpg

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Just reading the above about screen protectors and scratches on them, not liking them etc.

Make sure you get a glass screen protector not the plastic film ones. Mate of mine won’t listen to me and runs plastic crap, scuffed to hell, air bubbles and dust under the edges. Makes me feel queasy.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Finally got round to upgrading my P20 Pro. Went with the Pixel 5 in the end and I can't say I'm overly impressed. Feels cheap as f**k, fingerprint scanner isn't great, and it's quite small compared to the P20

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got round to upgrading my P20 Pro. Went with the Pixel 5 in the end and I can't say I'm overly impressed. Feels cheap as f**k, fingerprint scanner isn't great, and it's quite small compared to the P20
This is why I'm still using my Pixel 2xl.
I don't want to spend a fortune anymore and nothing is jumping out on me. I might end up going for the Sony above if it's not over priced on contract. If not, I'll see how it is sim only. I don't think mine will hold out until the Pixel 6 is out.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing worse than committing to a 24 month contract and the phone is not up to your expectations 😭😭😭

Everytime I see the £67 being taken out of my account for the s20 that I sold a few months back it pains me 😂 oh well, just another 11 months to go...

Has anyone got the Upgrade Anytime deal with EE ?

I was looking at S21 Ultra deals last night and noticed it. Basically a free upgrade after 12 months 😲

That Sony looks interesting though!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Nothing worse than committing to a 24 month contract and the phone is not up to your expectations 😭😭😭

Everytime I see the £67 being taken out of my account for the s20 that I sold a few months back it pains me 😂 oh well, just another 11 months to go...
Fuckin call quality is awful aswell. Luckily it's "only" 40 quid, but it's still w**k. Feels like a bloody fisher price my first phone

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing worse than committing to a 24 month contract and the phone is not up to your expectations [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Everytime I see the £67 being taken out of my account for the s20 that I sold a few months back it pains me [emoji23] oh well, just another 11 months to go...
I'm glad I went with one that has an free annual uprgade instead of having to wait [emoji28]

Can't say the S21 is like a hugely different phone though, It just does what it should do but it feels the exact same really

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I've got an S10+ and due an upgrade soon. I assume the s21 is the best Android phone out there or the s21 Ultra?