ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got it set up how I like it (so as identical to my old phone as possibel?). I had to buy a clear case for it for several reasons; the back is very pretty, until you touch it which then takes ages to get spotless again. It's also very slippery and placing it on any surface that isn't 100% level will have it sliding away! The edges are rounded, and slippery so not exactly well designed for an expensive electronic device you're going to pick up multiple times a day. And finally the camera is proud of the rear of the phone so touches any surface you place the phone on, this seems common on lots of phones and seems to be a massive design f**k up to me. The one part you do not want to be scratched is the bit they make stick out! It's much better now it's in a case, it just doesn't look as nice. I might take some pics at the weekend to see what that's all about.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That's why I mentioned getting a skin earlier in the thread.
It'll protect the paint/finish and you can get them with texture for grip.

I've got mine in a clear case now but even then it gets ruined with bits of dust etc getting in-between.

My mates like you with not liking them in cases but with the phones being so slippy he needed something to stop it sliding.

Finally got it set up how I like it (so as identical to my old phone as possibel?). I had to buy a clear case for it for several reasons; the back is very pretty, until you touch it which then takes ages to get spotless again. It's also very slippery and placing it on any surface that isn't 100% level will have it sliding away! The edges are rounded, and slippery so not exactly well designed for an expensive electronic device you're going to pick up multiple times a day. And finally the camera is proud of the rear of the phone so touches any surface you place the phone on, this seems common on lots of phones and seems to be a massive design f**k up to me. The one part you do not want to be scratched is the bit they make stick out! It's much better now it's in a case, it just doesn't look as nice. I might take some pics at the weekend to see what that's all about.
Does the camera not have a raised lip around it so that the lens doesn't get scratched? I kept looking at that in reviews but they didn't show it in enough detail.

My S10 has a raised lip so you can slide it around on a smooth surface without worrying about scratching the lens

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Does the camera not have a raised lip around it so that the lens doesn't get scratched? I kept looking at that in reviews but they didn't show it in enough detail.

My S10 has a raised lip so you can slide it around on a smooth surface without worrying about scratching the lens
Slightly but I don't understand why they can't sink the bloody thing below the back of the phone and have it safe.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I’ve got a mate 20 pro on order.
Decided against the P30 Pro after reading numerous comparison reviews and seeing that they aren’t that much different.

I am coming from 7/8 years of iPhone ownership and will be moving from a 6S Plus.
Think it’ll be a big change but am looking forward to it.

Has anyone got any experience with the Mate 20 Pro? Read a few posts a few pages back but would be interested to see how people are getting on with it after several months

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Notice the missus P20 Pro has been slowing up lately, bit of lag when scrolling etc. she doesn't seem to mind though.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Those of you with the P30 pro, how are you finding the screen on it? The lack of quad HD is the only thing putting me off the phone. Coming from a Samsung S8 I think it's going to feel like a downgrade in display quality only being a 1080p screen, especially as it's a bigger display too.

133T
I wouldn’t go for an 8.

What about a second hand iPhone X?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for it Rik, prefer the size, finger ID etc. Not one for second hand phones. Never checked Apple refurbs right enough. Would have kept my 6s if the battery wasn’t so rubbish. That was with a battery replacement as well.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
I went for it Rik, prefer the size, finger ID etc. Not one for second hand phones. Never checked Apple refurbs right enough. Would have kept my 6s if the battery wasn’t so rubbish. That was with a battery replacement as well.

You have a point. Face ID can be a bit terrible at times. Fingerprint is much better.

And I was on the same boat. My 6s was great, still fast etc but the battery was dire.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Those of you with the P30 pro, how are you finding the screen on it? The lack of quad HD is the only thing putting me off the phone. Coming from a Samsung S8 I think it's going to feel like a downgrade in display quality only being a 1080p screen, especially as it's a bigger display too.
Looks OK to me, although I've swapped from an LG g6 which wasn't the best and my eyes are fucked so what it actually looks like could be very different ?. I'll have to put it next to the wife's S9 and compare.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
You have a point. Face ID can be a bit terrible at times. Fingerprint is much better.

And I was on the same boat. My 6s was great, still fast etc but the battery was dire.

I agree in principal that Touch ID is better than Face ID, but Face ID allows for the bezelless bottom of the phone which is a game changer with the UI gestures. Definitely couldn't go back now!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I agree in principal that Touch ID is better than Face ID, but Face ID allows for the bezelless bottom of the phone which is a game changer with the UI gestures. Definitely couldn't go back now!
So does having a fingerprint reader on the back........

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Or within the screen like the P30
They're crap tbh. Slower, less secure, more temperamental. I'd take face unlock over those.

The inscreen ones are version 1.0, they'll be decent in a year or two. But I still don't get the point? The rear ones are an ideal location, secure and faster. They don't take up any screen space, there doesn't seem to be any upside to the in screen ones.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Am I right in thinking the inscreen ones don’t work when the screen gets cracked/smashed?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
They're crap tbh. Slower, less secure, more temperamental. I'd take face unlock over those.

The inscreen ones are version 1.0, they'll be decent in a year or two. But I still don't get the point? The rear ones are an ideal location, secure and faster. They don't take up any screen space, there doesn't seem to be any upside to the in screen ones.

I do agree with you mate. I've got no experience of inscreen ones, but the rear one in my Nexus 6 was perfectly placed. Much prefer it to the one on my P20

I've got other issues pissing me off with it also. I'm fuckin sick of typing and closing apps accidently because I stray slightly off the space bar

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The in-screen one on my mates Oppo seemed to work perfectly fine, better than the normal one on my old Samsung.

The rear placed ones haven't always been great, especially if you've got smaller hands and you're finger doesn't reach the sensor.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks OK to me, although I've swapped from an LG g6 which wasn't the best and my eyes are fucked so what it actually looks like could be very different ?. I'll have to put it next to the wife's S9 and compare.
I've compared it against my S8 in the shop and the difference was so easy to see but I'm not sure if it's something I'd just get used to and not even notice after a few weeks.

I love how sharp Samsung screens are and would hate to get a P30 and then be forever pissed off with the screen quality lol.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've compared it against my S8 in the shop and the difference was so easy to see but I'm not sure if it's something I'd just get used to and not even notice after a few weeks.

I love how sharp Samsung screens are and would hate to get a P30 and then be forever pissed off with the screen quality lol.

My missus went from Samsung to Huawei and says she prefers it.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Also the camera isn’t getting the best reviews, especially in low light.

What the operating system like on them? Is it as close to vanilla as you can get without it being a google phone?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Also the camera isn’t getting the best reviews, especially in low light.

What the operating system like on them? Is it as close to vanilla as you can get without it being a google phone?
As soon as someone sorts out a Google camera APK the camera won't be an issue imo.

The software is good, basically plain android. I've got the 8gb ram 6, and it's the only phone I've had that slowed down at all over time. Updates arrive far quicker than Samsung etc.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
The massive screen, combined with the 90hz refresh rate runs the battery hard. In one of the reviews it was mentioned that it gets 60% (roughly)of the battery life of the Huawei p30.

I think it will be fine, it has a 4000 mah battery and from the reviews i have seen, by the end of the day phone still has around 40%