ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new tool thread

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Accidentally bought a 3/8 stubby impact and a 4Ah battery

I'm now trying to refrain my hands slipping on my keyboard and buying a right angled impact and a 3/8 extended ratchet 😂

Just buy it. You never regret having the right tool for the job. Even the one time you use it you'll be glad you did.

It's a principle I live by and it's not really got out of hand for me 😅

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up this big Kraftform micro set from Wera the other week from Amazon for £78 on Prime. it has an impressive list of really nice quality precision bits.

1x Kraftform Micro Big Pack 1 Screwdriver set for electronic applications, 25 pieces;

• 3x 2050 PH Screwdriver for Phillips screws for electronic applications: PH 000×40, PH 00×40, PH 0x40;
  • 2x 2067 TORX® screwdriver for TORX® screws for electronic applications: TX 5×40, TX 6×40;
  • 5x 2067 TORX® HF screwdriver with holding function for electronic applications: TX 5×40, TX 6×40, TX 7×60, TX 8×60, TX 10×60;
  • 1x 2067 IPR TORX PLUS® screwdriver for electronic applications, 1 IPR x 40 mm;
  • 4x 2054 Screwdriver for hexagon socket screws for electronic applications: 0.9×40, 1.3×40, 1.5×60, 2×60;
  • 6x 2035 Screwdriver for slotted screws for electronic applications: 0.23×1.5×40, 0.30×1.8×60, 0.35×2.5×40, 0.40×2.0x60, 0.40×2.5×80, 0.50×3.0x80;
  • 2x 2069 Nutdriver for electronic applications: 4.0×60, 5.5×60;
  • 1x 2072 Kraftform Micro screwdriver for Microstix® screws, m x 40 mm;
  • 1x 1429 Chip lifter, 1 x 3.5 x 50 mm;
  • 1x Hook and Loop Fastener Strip 240, 240 x 50 mm

Since sold all my Snap On precisions as these are much nicer, better quality and a lot cheaper.
Not used them yet, but that's not why tool whores buy tools is it :D

134000.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up this big Kraftform micro set from Wera the other week from Amazon for £78 on Prime. it has an impressive list of really nice quality precision bits.

1x Kraftform Micro Big Pack 1 Screwdriver set for electronic applications, 25 pieces;

• 3x 2050 PH Screwdriver for Phillips screws for electronic applications: PH 000×40, PH 00×40, PH 0x40;
  • 2x 2067 TORX® screwdriver for TORX® screws for electronic applications: TX 5×40, TX 6×40;
  • 5x 2067 TORX® HF screwdriver with holding function for electronic applications: TX 5×40, TX 6×40, TX 7×60, TX 8×60, TX 10×60;
  • 1x 2067 IPR TORX PLUS® screwdriver for electronic applications, 1 IPR x 40 mm;
  • 4x 2054 Screwdriver for hexagon socket screws for electronic applications: 0.9×40, 1.3×40, 1.5×60, 2×60;
  • 6x 2035 Screwdriver for slotted screws for electronic applications: 0.23×1.5×40, 0.30×1.8×60, 0.35×2.5×40, 0.40×2.0x60, 0.40×2.5×80, 0.50×3.0x80;
  • 2x 2069 Nutdriver for electronic applications: 4.0×60, 5.5×60;
  • 1x 2072 Kraftform Micro screwdriver for Microstix® screws, m x 40 mm;
  • 1x 1429 Chip lifter, 1 x 3.5 x 50 mm;
  • 1x Hook and Loop Fastener Strip 240, 240 x 50 mm

Since sold all my Snap On precisions as these are much nicer, better quality and a lot cheaper.
Not used them yet, but that's not why tool whores buy tools is it :D

View attachment 1508263
Wera stuff is better than most modern snap-on s**t, so bloody good but so eye-wateringly expensive!! 😂

The only snap-on stuff I have now is 30+ years old. All of the modern stuff is absolute crap and feels the same as Draper would

Also, just bought the stubby ratchets and now looking at socket and spanner storage for my new toolbox 😂

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Wera stuff is better than most modern snap-on s**t, so bloody good but so eye-wateringly expensive!! 😂

The only snap-on stuff I have now is 30+ years old. All of the modern stuff is absolute crap and feels the same as Draper would

Also, just bought the stubby ratchets and now looking at socket and spanner storage for my new toolbox 😂

IMO ratchets/spanner wise, nothing feels like a Snap On spanner, they're still king of the hill to me and you certainly know when you use it. Even a SO spanner sounds different when you drop one.

Knipex for pliers, always. They knock the SO stuff out of the park IMO.

Screwdrivers ive got alot of the new Instinct handles but i still prefer my old resin handles, to me they just feel better than the newer one to use. Less cumbersome and "feel" better quality. I've been collecting odds and sods for years now, even though im just a DIY home mechanic these days, so have a toy sized tool box to anyone who is actually in the trade.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
IMO ratchets/spanner wise, nothing feels like a Snap On spanner, they're still king of the hill to me and you certainly know when you use it. Even a SO spanner sounds different when you drop one.

Knipex for pliers, always. They knock the SO stuff out of the park IMO.

Screwdrivers ive got alot of the new Instinct handles but i still prefer my old resin handles, to me they just feel better than the newer one to use. Less cumbersome and "feel" better quality. I've been collecting odds and sods for years now, even though im just a DIY home mechanic these days, so have a toy sized tool box to anyone who is actually in the trade.
My old as chuff SO ratchet feels better than my dads newer one. Luckily neither of us paid for them, both found on jobsites 😂 The s**t people leave lying about (I found a pair of Rothenberger pipe grips this morning! On top of an old water heater, must have been there for 5+ years when the old heater went in 😂)

But I do have to agree with spanners and sockets, all of our snap-on spanners and sockets have taken some absolutely wild abuse and they're all older than me, used as bearing press tools, hung off the end of spanners with a scaff bar and they just bend and spring back 😂 I have a pic of me with a 6ft scaff bar on a 21mm snap-on spanner with something in the vice and it took all my bodyweight lmao! They still don't even scrape the surface with power tools though, my Milwaukee makes my mates brand new snap on stuff look like a kids playtoy version, the only reason he buys it is because the van comes and reverses directly to his unit door 😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I have these, absolutely love them

Snap On still have the best extension bars too with their wobble plus system
Oooh they look very nice!!

Well done because that's me down another rabbit hole 😂

I was looking at these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-S...rentrq:13a64b3d1760ac3c175034bdffd44906|iid:1

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Never really been a big fan of the mag holders, although that one does look decent.
I'm still a fan of the plastic post trays and a good old fashioned socket rail try. The Teng one is the best tray I've found so far. The problem i fine with the pre-set stuff like that is you cant mix it up whet you put in there. With a socket rail you can have a 1/4, 3/8 and then a 1/2" all one after the other and offers the most flexibility.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So it was my birthday last week and one of my best mates treated me to this. Called an Olight S2R Baton2 and it’s frankly the most outrageously bright tiny torch I’ve ever seen. This little thing kicks out over 1100lm at full tilt and will run for up to 60 days on its lowest setting. Now that’s what’s claimed, but looking it it firing down a pitch black garden, I can believe it. It’s like having a HID headlight in your hand. Charging is via USB and it’s a magnetic charger of which the bottom of the torch is magnetic too and can be mounted as such.

Smaller than a Coke can and fits easily in a palm. Im so far mega impressed with it.

9C8B6FCE-7A9C-4760-B51E-0F64DA3C173C.jpeg
92066397-50F0-48A9-AB33-CCE502C91E0E.jpeg
46902310-C23F-452C-B629-2F72A55D3B5D.jpeg
21EFC3FA-DFB9-411B-802F-D4AD2E896AC1.jpeg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Quality stuff! Had my Olight flashlight for over ten years now, seen some harsh conditions and has never failed me.

Due an upgrade though seeing how compact and bright yours is compared to mine!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, I have a few Olights. Don’t get sucked into the flashlight world, before you know it you’ll have a custom built titanium light with high output, high CRI and tritium vials on the body (as you’re on SN have you seen Matt on there has his own YT channel on them?)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, I have a few Olights. Don’t get sucked into the flashlight world, before you know it you’ll have a custom built titanium light with high output, high CRI and tritium vials on the body (as you’re on SN have you seen Matt on there has his own YT channel on them?)
No i havent. For a run of the mill light, I like the little Snap Ons or Unilite. I don’t know much about Olight before my mate bought me this.

Got a flash torch and 2 bottles of Malbec, I’ve good mates. 😅👌🏼

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Few bits to hammer on, US Pro surprises me because I'm not gentle on tools and I've never broken anything Bergen/US Pro! My massive breaker bar has had 20 stone bouncing on it before and it just bounced me😂😂

20201202_190510.jpg

Oh and I got a 3/8 stubby to add to my small collection😂 Proper versatile little thing, saves my arm picking up the bug b*****d all the time. Need a boot for it but everywhere is out of stock ffs

20201202_171625.jpg

They also sent this... could get quite interesting🤦‍♂️ It has all the M18 gear on the back too🙃😂

20201202_173311.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Few bits to hammer on, US Pro surprises me because I'm not gentle on tools and I've never broken anything Bergen/US Pro! My massive breaker bar has had 20 stone bouncing on it before and it just bounced me😂😂

View attachment 1508753

Oh and I got a 3/8 stubby to add to my small collection😂 Proper versatile little thing, saves my arm picking up the bug b*****d all the time. Need a boot for it but everywhere is out of stock ffs

View attachment 1508754

They also sent this... could get quite interesting🤦‍♂️ It has all the M18 gear on the back too🙃😂

View attachment 1508755

Did you try that guy on FB for the stubby boot?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Your missing a ratchet!
Should be everyone’s second buy after a normal impact.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
ehh battery grinders aren’t quite there yet imo.

I use mine less than I thought I would.
Having a load of cheap ones with different discs, wire wheels fitted is much better.
Aye but battery > running a 20m extension from my garage to my driveway and it only just reaching😂😂

Not used a Milwaukee battery one but I've had a snap on one before which was alright. Not as good as corded one but then again a battery SDS has nothing on a 110 SDS😂

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
My sister is asking me for tool ideas so asked her for that stubby ratchet set you have @Pudding of Yorkshire

Anything else that I probably won't have? Lucky in the sense that I've got loads of stuff that I use but anything that you've thought this was good, I should have had one ages ago let me know pls

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
My sister is asking me for tool ideas so asked her for that stubby ratchet set you have @Pudding of Yorkshire

Anything else that I probably won't have? Lucky in the sense that I've got loads of stuff that I use but anything that you've thought this was good, I should have had one ages ago let me know pls
Here are some ideas 😂

Extra long flexi head ratchets
Extra Long flexi headed ratchet aviator spanners
Impact wobble bits 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2

Honestly, I could go on for days about what to buy mate 😂

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
So this has been months in the making, and not exactly a tool. But finally got this installed and plumbed up yesterday.

Atlas Copco Gx2FF compressor with dryer.

Bought to run a hypertherm powermax 45xp plasma cutter I bought on a bit of a whim. Absolute amazing bit of kit. Now to start buying more air tools.

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_163042_1.jpg
    IMG_20201205_163042_1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Whats everyone using for ratchet spanners?

Currently got halfords straight ones, not the best for access so want to go for the slightly angled ones.

Been looking at mac tools and others but starting to sway towards bluepoint ones

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Currently got halfords straight ones, not the best for access so want to go for the slightly angled ones.

Been looking at mac tools and others but starting to sway towards bluepoint ones

Snap On 15 degree 10mm-19mm set plus a set of their extra long double box flex ratchets.
The long ones are bloody lovely things to use.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

Halfords flexi ratchet spanners

Only issue is they dont have a 16mm or 18mm :(

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
how much torque have you given them frayz ?
Hard to know for sure but I've hung off them pretty hard with a car on stands. So arguably you could apply even more leverage if the car was on a ramp, but i do all my work on the floor. They're basically Snap On dual 80 slimline heads on a long wrench. They're silky smooth and feel mega.
Then again, I'm not a full time mechanic these days, so i would always crack a fastener with a non-ratchet spanner first, just because everything i do involves a degree of mechanical sympathy.

I just play at it these days lol