ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new tool thread

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
The new Halfords Advanced ones are good, more of an accurate scale setting compared to the previous gen that went up in 10's.

Get an idea of what torque values you'll use the most, as they tend to be most accurate in their mid range setting. (although the calibration sheet that came with mine looked like it was decent at both ends of the scale too)

Or just buy all 3 😂
I didnt even think of Halford Advanced!

Got a mate with a trade card too which will help im sure. The rest of my tools are by them, so makes sense to continue on with that - plus theyre really good value.

Cheers James!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I didnt even think of Halford Advanced!

Got a mate with a trade card too which will help im sure. The rest of my tools are by them, so makes sense to continue on with that - plus theyre really good value.

Cheers James!

Yeah well worth it with a trade card.

I've got the 300 model (60-300Nm) and it definitely feels better than the previous gen i upgraded from.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Some cheap options:

(Seems pretty decent tbh but no angle)

With angle:

Facom - so more reputable, probably the one I would buy or the calibrated AC Delco above.

I like them in principal because they cover such a big torque range and they are small enough to chuck in a tool bag. I have various torque wrenches and tend to use these the most, cheap and cheerful but have been very reliable so far:

I also have a much bigger Norbar and Halfords pro then an old manual hooky style sealey angle gauge.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Some cheap options:

(Seems pretty decent tbh but no angle)

With angle:

Facom - so more reputable, probably the one I would buy or the calibrated AC Delco above.

I like them in principal because they cover such a big torque range and they are small enough to chuck in a tool bag. I have various torque wrenches and tend to use these the most, cheap and cheerful but have been very reliable so far:

I also have a much bigger Norbar and Halfords pro then an old manual hooky style sealey angle gauge.
Thanks dude!

So supposing I went for the ACDelco ones, they seem great value for money for a digital version which I prefer as as a simpleton - id then need to buy the extra add on bit for angle too? Be handy to have an all in one.

Then again, I really only need torque values as ive just looked up mx5 engine specs and none of them have the stupid angle stuff #win

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks dude!

So supposing I went for the ACDelco ones, they seem great value for money for a digital version which I prefer as as a simpleton - id then need to buy the extra add on bit for angle too? Be handy to have an all in one.

Then again, I really only need torque values as ive just looked up mx5 engine specs and none of them have the stupid angle stuff #win
Yea see what range you think you'll need then go do buy. I like the AC delco torque wrenches but they offer nothing over what a Halfords clicky click does other than an occasional and very annoying flat battery.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yea see what range you think you'll need then go do buy. I like the AC delco torque wrenches but they offer nothing over what a Halfords clicky click does other than an occasional and very annoying flat battery.
Well, looking at most of the ranges and considering im very unlikely to need to do any kind of headwork (giggles), its going to be 20nm - 200nm at a push. The highest value ive seen, quickly skimming, is 185nm. So, ill have plenty of headway on that.

I have a large 50(?) to 200 & a teeny 20 - 80(?) wrench already, im just concerned of its accuracy. If im going to be rebuilding an engine, it seems slightly important to get the torque figures correct - especially on something like the big end 🤣. 'Oh dear, my proposed figure of 100nm on the end caps must have been slightly off considering ive now emptied piston 3 and 4 into the asphalt......'

TBH, for what its worth though, I probably would go for the digital ones you linked above. I can get 2x (1x small, 1x big) for about £40 over what the big halfords clicky one would cost...maffs.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure how much they are but we have a cheap looking torque wrench tester at work, good sanity check before doing an engine.

When you say - not doing any head work.... what does that mean?

If the heads off you should check valve seats and re-lap them... hard to do that a few miles later with the head installed 😂

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I just checked... they are loads of money so f**k the tester idea off 😂

You can always just test it with PHysiCs though. Clamp end in vice, hang weights off end until it clicks... work out if its ball park. But obviously buy the new beepy ones too.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ill get one ordered on payday. Im a shithouse when it comes to blow torches or oxy and feel like its the safer option instead of setting myself on fire, and it will save me from snapping a few things with brute force :LOL:

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Ill get one ordered on payday. Im a shithouse when it comes to blow torches or oxy and feel like its the safer option instead of setting myself on fire, and it will save me from snapping a few things with brute force :LOL:
Have you tried being less buff 🤣

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ive pretty much had to retire my 1/2 drive socket set as breaking too much s**t. I use 1/4 or 3/8 all the time.

Ironically only started training in 2007 after losing a load of weight that made me weak as piss and couldnt undo a hub nut with a breaker bar :LOL:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing as we have a wide range of clever people here I thought I’d ask for help. I have some threaded bar that is M8 that I need to quickly cut down. They’re 130mm and need to be 105mm so I need to chop 25mm off of the end.

Ideally I need to be able to achieve one cut in 4-5 seconds max to make it worth it.

Any suggestions.

Thought I’d solved it with a Milwaukee thread cutter but apparently the dies run out after 1000 cuts and need replacing. I’m just trying to save the thread going into scrap really!

Is this the thread cutter you were talking about?

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
@Touring_Rob @JimF "20mm" I/d bearing, 19.96mm shaft. Bearing fits no problem on the nogo 20.25mm ish. Whats the bearing even doing...

Also have tons of cmm fixture goodies coming, went a bit mad purchasing metrology equipment last couple days :oops:

IMG_1013.JPG

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
A Haas mini mill with a 10k rpm spindle could do everything I want to do (can add 4th axis, angle heads, broaching heads etc..), but I keep looking at the xyz 2 op which has a very small foot print with near the same travels as the mini mill, but with more z axis and table to spindle distance. Both of those can be moved with a pallet jack. I already have some bt30 tooling as well which the 2 op uses.

You can easily spend 1000's on tooling, some larger end mills alone will be £700+!

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
I would love to have one mate, although thats the 6k spindle not the 10k, its still a slick machine. But things are changing in my life and some are for the better but I'm still commuting myself to do cnc work.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I would love to have one mate, although thats the 6k spindle not the 10k, its still a slick machine. But things are changing in my life and some are for the better but I'm still commuting myself to do cnc work.
I have a ceiling height preventing me from getting anything decent

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Sneak peak! Will be getting the the e90 racks blasted then can measure wear and dimensions much easier as things will be solid mounted on the cmm base plate. Also have some goodies coming that I got very lucky on!!

Cmm plate.JPG

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
My units in Tenterden Kent. I used to live in Rochford funny enough.. Be more than happy for you to visit if it was worth it to you or had to coincide travel.
if i had the space, id be fooking broke...

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Wheres best place to buy DeWalt shite from?

Need to buy a leafblower and a big battery for work. Only reason I'm getting DeWalt is because I use Milwaukee, another lad has Makita and the other uses Ryobi so nobody can moan about one of us taking s**t