ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The next lens. Nikon.

Storm Grey 200
Hi

My current line up is

D90
50mm f1.8
Sigma 10-20
35mm f2
Samyang fisheye

I fancy something a bit longer for motorsport and stumbled across the nikon 18-200, seems ideal for a walkabout lens and would extend my reach. At about £300 used its looking pretty good, but I thought I might ask on here for any other suggestions.

Basically a nikon zoom lens, what would you get? Budget is max £700

nikon-d90-18-200vr-640x.jpg

Nick

I had the Nikon 18-200 as my first ever lens. As a general everyday lens, it was brilliant. BUT it's quite soft at the longer focal lengths, and not too fast either at f/5.6.

The Sigma 100-300mm f/4 is a cracking 'entry' level lens, I had one, amazingly fast, sharp and not too big either.

Willing to go second-hand? I've owned a Nikon 300mm f4 and 80-200 2.8 AFS before, both were just under £500 and were super impressive motorsport lens' (the 80-200 AFS is the best lens I've ever owned by far). It takes some effort to track down the right lens but in my opinion it's worth it, I've owned lens which I simply could never afford otherwise.

Avoid the 18-200, you have a good collection in the 18-50mm range so you will be losing a lot in speed to have a lens which has been built specifically to cover a big range. As Dan said, the Sigma 100-300 f4 will probably be the best bet, but the Nikon 70-300mm VR is also a cracking lens.

By the by, I see you're Wiltshire based, if you ever visit Castle Combe on a raceday/trackday etc you're welcome to try my Sigma 120-300 (I'm a D90 owner as well). Whilst it's over-budget it will give you a feel for a heavy lens, some people prefer a heavy lens for motorsport (it's inherently more stable) but others get on better with a smaller, lighter 70-300 f5.6 type lens (because it's easier to manage for a day out)

Merc A class
Im currently using an sigma 18-200 i think its a good lens for motorsport and a general walk about lens

i think my next buy will be a Nikon 300mm f4 once i have saved. :)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I had the Nikon 18-200 as my first ever lens. As a general everyday lens, it was brilliant. BUT it's quite soft at the longer focal lengths, and not too fast either at f/5.6.

The Sigma 100-300mm f/4 is a cracking 'entry' level lens, I had one, amazingly fast, sharp and not too big either.

I own this lens now. Really good walkabout lens. I like the fact at shorter focal lengths you still can get f4. Its decent enough at 200mm but not amazing, but i dont really need to shoot fast at those lenfths so itt hasnt let me down. I really like it.

Depends what you are shooting?

Storm Grey 200
Hmm, eyeing up a 80-200 on ebay. Where else is good for second hand glass?

also, what about the lack of VR, issue unless your a steady eddie?

If you want it for motorsport then VR isn't a big deal. It supposedly helps in panning, but I can't say I've really noticed.

At 300mm+ then VR would be useful, but otherwise, just practice having a steadier hand ;)

A whole 24 hours has passed and Tigger hasn't been on yet to knock one out to this thread, then slate Canon.

Must be dead, or playing with boy scouts. (JOKE!)

He'll find it later when he searches the word Nikon (no joke)

Storm Grey 200
A whole 24 hours has passed and Tigger hasn't been on yet to knock one out to this thread, then slate Canon.

lol.

"Navy" N17 TWO

Sorry folks
Dealing with a death in the family at the weekend hence the Nikon artilery defense lines being out of action on a temporary basis :(

Back soon

Trev