ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Jeez... some of you guys are never going to be happy! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

The performance increase is actually considerable and I think fairly reflected in pricing (or certainly more sensible than it has been for a long time). I am excited for where this change in architecture is taking things and hope advances continue apace that take us away from the *rasterisation hacks, smoke / mirrors that developers have relied upon over the last 25-30 years. I felt the 20xx series was the [correct] first tentative step in the new direction (mainly for early-adopters and tech enthusiasts), and see the 30xx series as being the more consumer-friendly entry point to the 'new' tech for the masses. Assuming demand can be met. :p

(*Rasterisation will still be with us for years to come yet though so let's not go throwing out all the good stuff learnt over the last 3 decades...) :ROFLMAO:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I still love all this s**t, but I do find it funny when people complain of difficulties in gaming at 4k 60FPS.... this was my first PC 3D graphics card :ROFLMAO:

Perspective is everything ;)

I remember being amazed at this in 2007 (I know it came out I 2006 but that's when I got one)- all 512mb of it.

1600441648488.png

Yaris Hybrid
I've seen reports that say there's possibly a 20gb version coming out just after AMD release their new cards. That would make the 10gb version seem pretty poor if you're using it for 4K gaming.

This.

I'm a 4K gamer and 10GB worries me given the way I see things going in the future. Especially as that's less than my 1080ti that I bought back when Dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I'm happy for the thirsty boys to go splurging their money and fighting over the 10GB models. I'm going to sit back, wait and laugh.

I need an entire new system (still have a 6700k) so I'm waiting for Zen 3 or for Intel to bring PCI4 support anyway. No point putting a 3080 in my current PC as even at 60fps it's likely to be bottle necked.

Bit frustrating as I have the cash for an entire new system burning a hole in my pocket. No financial restrictions at all so sky's the limit (even 3090) but nothing on the market worth committing to right now due to big upgrades hitting the market in the next couple of months.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A shame really.....

Sadly the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. I was a massive fan of SLI 'back in the day' and saw some great efforts being made to improve scaling of performance across multiple GPUs. Alas, it was such a b**ch to get right and took so much development time and effort. It was always a balancing act, too - walking the fine line between realising appreciable performance gains and making necessary code / engine changes elsewhere that resulted in tanking framerates when the whole scheduling and balancing was thrown out of whack! Coupled with increased pressures of ever-more complex games, better graphics, tighter deadlines, bigger monies involved... SLI's chances of survival [in the form we have it as now] was always going to be slim to nothing. Interestingly, the various sub-architectures that comprise modern GPUs are very SLI-like anyway... modern GPUs are behemoths when it comes to parallel processing (when fed with the 'correct' data and straightforward instruction sets).

Maybe PCIE4.0 (and future architectures) will see SLI-like features rekindled without the need for bridges and interconnects. I'm not sure it will happen given the direction technology is headed and the flexibility afforded by these new-fangled processing cores and their capabilities.

I still love all this s**t, but I do find it funny when people complain of difficulties in gaming at 4k 60FPS.... this was my first PC 3D graphics card :ROFLMAO:

Perspective is everything ;)

Perspective is everything... indeed it is! I see what you did there! Bring back 3DFX and Glide API. It was an early 3DFX card and a selection of 3DFX demos that got me my first game development interviews and graphics tech programming roles. Happy days. My word how things have moved on!

I've seen reports that say there's possibly a 20gb version coming out just after AMD release their new cards. That would make the 10gb version seem pretty poor if you're using it for 4K gaming.

I decided to cancel my order and wait for the mayhem to die down. Like you say rumblings of higher capacity cards plus AMD's potential offerings mean I may as well wait, especially as I'm unlikely to see a card in 2020.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I decided to cancel my order and wait for the mayhem to die down. Like you say rumblings of higher capacity cards plus AMD's potential offerings mean I may as well wait, especially as I'm unlikely to see a card in 2020.

It's very easy to get caught up in the hype and end up with something that isn't even suitable for your needs.

I hope AMDs offerings provide a good challenge as that will benefit everyone.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think my first dedicated graphics card was a 512KB Trident (circa 1990) before moving on to a 2MB Cirrus Logic. No 3D acceleration and running on the old ISA bus. It became a bit of an addiction then and I went through cards like hot dinners! ISA, VLB, AGP, PCI...

My first (working) 3D card was a Diamond Edge 3D (I think) and I also tried the daughter-board efforts of the PowerVR range (which required an existing 2D graphics card). I soon moved onto the 3DFX range as they became available.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Wahay what a surround sound set that is! Sold mine last year after owning for 10 years and lost very little money in that time!

Love them haha, don't get much use at the desk anymore in games but whatever lol.

My mate bought some Bose kit for his living room and was going to take his set to the tip o_O, ended up giving them to me lol so they're downstairs.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Love them haha, don't get much use at the desk anymore in games but whatever lol.

My mate bought some Bose kit for his living room and was going to take his set to the tip o_O, ended up giving them to me lol so they're downstairs.
Amazing haha.. Just checked. Bought them in 2009 for £180 and sold last year for £90 collected! 2.4p a day

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Decided I wanted a little 1080p screen next to the 1440 last week with the amount of time I'm sat at the computer now. Didn't really want to spend more than £100 so ended up picking a Dell P2219H up from Liverpool for £65, then spent about the same amount on a wall mount/wiring lol.

Happy with the result, definitely maxed out the capacity of the cable trunking though! That's enough on peripherals for a good while, maybe a performance boost next.

IMG_20200921_183409.jpg

IMG_20200921_183250.jpg

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Very clean, but I couldn't do with different screen sizes!

Haha can appreciate that.

Looks a nice set up that @Jonnio

Not sure about the proximity of the radiator to the PC though 🥵

Main thought when first set it up with the old PC was keeping the sub away from the neighbours lol. When the new PC got delivered I tested it sat on the desk to the left and next the radiator and it didn't seem to make any difference to the temps.
I did try to switch the fecker off but messing with the valves didn't seem to take any heat out of it. :unsure: Could happily just have no radiator in here when gaming lol.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
FFS! My pre-order for the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra is no more... :( During checkout the bank decided the transaction was potentially fraudulent and blocked it (despite having spent thousands with Scan over the years) and by the time I had gone through the fraud check stuff with the bank... yup. All sold out. Gutted. :(

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
FFS! My pre-order for the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra is no more... :( During checkout the bank decided the transaction was potentially fraudulent and blocked it (despite having spent thousands with Scan over the years) and by the time I had gone through the fraud check stuff with the bank... yup. All sold out. Gutted. :(
I wonder if there is any record of any bank ever actually getting a fraud decision right, I suspect not.
I feel for ya, know people that had this with the Xbox pre orders and it's pure bastardness.
Serves you right for being able to afford a 3090 ;)

In fairness to the bank’s anti fraud algorithms £1500+ on one graphics card is “unusual” lol

I remember thinking £400 odd for a 9800GX2 was a bit much 😂

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I had that with HSBC the other day. w*****s!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if there is any record of any bank ever actually getting a fraud decision right, I suspect not.
I feel for ya, know people that had this with the Xbox pre orders and it's pure bastardness.
Serves you right for being able to afford a 3090 ;)
It's as much a purchase to help make money as it is to game with. The fact it's a decent gaming card is a bonus, though! :ROFLMAO:

In fairness to the bank’s anti fraud algorithms £1500+ on one graphics card is “unusual” lol

I remember thinking £400 odd for a 9800GX2 was a bit much 😂
It's not the first time though mate, although I get where you're coming from! I use Scan for my personal stuff as well as having my business account with them and never really had any issues. Until today. Oh well, hardly the end of the world but I've been looking forward to this like a young kid waiting for Christmas! :p

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I may have just ordered one of these to replace my Corsair 250D.

Not going to be upgrading any components until next year so this will give me something to play with for now.

Ebuyer have 20% off on their ebay store at the moment.

They don't have everything that the main site does and the ebay prices are all over the place (good & bad) but someone might find it useful.

Clio Dci
So i’m building a PC from scratch, wondered what people though of the spec and had any major disagreements?

Coolermaster MB520 Case
MSI B550 Gaming Max
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x (this may change depending on the launch of 4th Gen chips)
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8gb @ 3200mhz
Crucial 500gb M.2 SSD
Seagate 2GB HHD
Coolermaster MWE 750w

Now GPU is going to be a 1050ti someone has gifted me until early next year once the 3060 or similar Radeon cards are here!

it’s mainly going to be used for 1080p gaming running 144hz monitor.

Last edited:

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
So i’m building a PC from scratch, wondered what people though of the spec and had any major disagreements?

Coolermaster MB520 Case
MSI B550 Gaming Max
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x (this may change depending on the launch of 4th Gen chips)
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8gb @ 3200mhz
Crucial 500gb M.2 SSD
Seagate 2GB HHD
Coolermaster MWE 750w

Now GPU is going to be a 1050ti someone has gifted me until early next year once the 3060 or similar Radeon cards are here!

it’s mainly going to be used for 1080p gaming running 144hz monitor.
Looks a solid spec, from a performance side it looks similar to mine (I have a 2070 super) so you should enjoy good performance across all games.
don’t think I have any of those specific components so can’t comment on quality but they seem decent manufacturers.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Jesus H...

I know people will say "above 120 is pointless" (I used to be one of them)... But I'm sure I can tell the difference between 120 and 144.... And since 144 doesn't look like actual movement, I imagine there's no limit to how high you can go before people stop buying them.

Anyone use lube for their mechanical keyboard? I spilt coke on in ages ago and cleaned it with some contact cleaner. It stopped them sticking but they're not quite as smooth as the unaffected keys

i remember all this hardware right back to the voodoo cards, must mean i'm old :(
my first real card was bought for £211 in an attempt to play half life and was a gigabyte x800xl heatpipe version installed in a shuttle ss51g barebones case

anyone having a good experience from microsofts new flight sim, running like crap for me on a 1080ti :(

Attachments

• x800xl.jpg
    x800xl.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 37
anyone having a good experience from microsofts new flight sim, running like crap for me on a 1080ti :(

Yes, it seems to be running quite well for me with the options on a mix of high & ultra settings. However, I'm rocking a Ryzen 7 3700x, 32gb and a RTX 2060 Super